So..How much would you pay?

callingtom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good topic. 

I think I'd go a bit over retail (maybe $150?) for GTS or WLW. I know that is probably not realistic to find these days, but otherwise, I'll pass on paying over MSRP. 

$250 is the most I’ve ever paid- Willett 25s.

I’d probably pay $100-150 for ORVW10 and maybe $200 for 4RLE and BTAC, excluding ER17

Have no problem paying $150 for KO rye and some (but not all) of the recent WT LE releases.

Current market is what it is. American whiskey was incredibly cheap for a long while. Will be nice to see another glut in 15 years or so (maybe?)

I'm a cheap bastard, and proud of it.    I just can't bring myself to pay over MSRP for anything.      Nope.  Can't do it.   

• I like it 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:41 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Although I like good stuff as much as the next person, I’m basically a cheap bastard. While I might consider paying a little above MSRP, I refuse to pay exorbitant prices. Aside from the graciousness of a fellow member way back in 2013, I basically bought no Pappy or BTAC from 2012 until the latter part of 2017. In the fall of 2017, I was fortunate to find most of the BTAC at retail. I bought a GTS, two WLW’s and Saz Rye all at retail. Last year, my name was drawn for a 2018 WLW which again I purchased again at retail. Seeing BTAC last weekend for $399.99-$699.99 convinced me that while I did have a small run of good luck, my run is probably over. 

I feel that I can say the same when it comes to my beloved Weller’s. I found a few Weller 12’s a little over a year ago at retail. I haven’t seen any since. I paid $23.99 for a couple of SR’s a few weeks ago, and $25.99 for an OWA last month. Yep. I think the run is over. Sadly, back to reality. <_<

Biba! Joe

I am kind of in the same frame of mind.  If I could get a bottle of GTS or WLW @ retail or slightly above, I would buy them.  I am not interested in PVW 20 or 23 at the current prices.  I might fork over for a PVW 15.  I might pay a little more for WSR, OWA or WL12 than someone who sees them regularly.  But, I am not going to pay double retail like I frequently see in Indiana, when it is available.

I am happy with WT101, KC, FR, EC at "sale" retail.  

Despite the drawbacks of living in a control state, at least I never pay more than MSRP.

• I like it 1

It's difficult to say.  I don't have a set limit and it really depends on the specific bottle.  I'm not paying over MSRP for stuff like Weller or Elmer or any other non yearly release.  I'm willing to wait it out or drink other stuff.  For the VW/BTAC/4R etc yearly releases I might go 50% over MSRP or I might go double depending on what's offered and how much I want it though, again, I'm just as happy drinking what I can easily find on shelves.  

I’m willing to pay more for something I really want, I don’t have and/or is really hard to get. So, I’ve paid roughly a 100% premium on a few bottles of GTS and WLW, but I’ve bought most of the ones that I have at retail.

I’ve picked up VW 15 at retail and at about 120% over retail. I also turned one down this past year at a 200% premium over retail because I already had it. If I didn’t already have it, I probably would have paid that price. I got lucky and got a bottle of PW23 at retail this year, so that itch is scratched, but the PW20 continues to evade me even at a premium price I’m willing to pay (probably not much over 100%)...maybe this year.

Outside of the ones I’ve mentioned above, I’m not willing to pay too much of a premium for anything else, but depending on what it is, I might be willing to pay a 50% premium if I’ve never had a bottle or it’s a one time release that I really want.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, lcpfratn said:

I’m willing to pay more for something I really want, I don’t have and/or is really hard to get.

This.   I find that if I have tasted it, Like George T or Pappy 15, I am not going to pay the prices most ask.  For example, I used to by Weller 12 and antique for $19.99 buy the case.  I just can't justify the prices I see now.  However, as stated above, if there is something I haven't had and wanted to taste and could not find....I may pay a bit extra. 

• I like it 2

Price:Value Ratio Matrix has always been my guiding principle.

I don't mind spending a little money to get quality products. 

I still enjoy finding $50 wine in a $20 bottle! 

I'm simply priced out of today's secondary-retail market.  I don't have $400 for a bottle of GTS

My PVR benchmarks are WT101 handles for $40, ECBP at $60, and Redbreast 12CS at $80.  90% of the bottles I've bought over $60, and half of those below that price point are ones that do not meet my internal PVR benchmark and will not be repurchased. 

Not that I regret buying them, but I consider the premiums I pay on bottles of whisky to be "tuition".  For example, I found bottles of Clynelish 14 for $15 less and Laphroaig 10CS for $30 less than I previously paid for them this week.  I justify their purchase as lowering the "per unit" price; since they are both permanent residents of the Wharf Rat Whisky Vault.   

I tend to stick to MSRP as much as possible.  It's hard to pick up rare finds here but it makes up for it on the price being that we are state-controlled.  So nothing is really over-priced, just really hard to find...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.