Elmer T Lee 100

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

If you can’t make more to take advantage of a market, put in a different bottle and sell for more.

If I recall correctly when they did the commemorative it just kind of replaced a batch of regular ETL but on the plus side the retail was reasonable, in today's market god knows.

ETL 100, otherwise known as Rock Hill Farms...??  And I suspect not for the $50 that RHF used to go for around here.  Don't see either ETL or RHF in stores anymore anyway, except for ridiculous prices.  I am grateful for my stash.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

If I recall correctly when they did the commemorative it just kind of replaced a batch of regular ETL but on the plus side the retail was reasonable, in today's market god knows.

The commemorative one was bottle at 93 proof, and their line at the time was that the proof was chosen because it was his age when he died

Not that they need any help selling the stuff, but given the proof, it is interesting that they did not (could not) use a Bottled-In-Bond designation.

9 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Not that they need any help selling the stuff, but given the proof, it is interesting that they did not (could not) use a Bottled-In-Bond designation.

That limits the barrels they can choose from due to the same distilling season requirement so I imagine they did not want to go to that trouble. 

• I like it 1

That limits the barrels they can choose from due to the same distilling season requirement so I imagine they did not want to go to that trouble. 

Is this not going to be single barrel? I guess I should read the TTB more closely.

14 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Is this not going to be single barrel? I guess I should read the TTB more closely.

It is a single barrel.  Says so right on front label.  Can't imagine they'd release a tribute to the father of single barrel and not make it a single barrel! ha

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

28 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

13 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It is a single barrel.  Says so right on front label.  Can't imagine they'd release a tribute to the father of single barrel and not make it a single barrel! ha

I would think it's to keep in line with the branding of the regular release, but there are a few 100 proof single barrel bourbons that aren't labeled as BIB (RHF, FR SiB, etc). Aside from the newer smaller outfits, Wilderness Trail comes to mind IIRC, the only bottles the big boys put out that are labeled both Single Barrel and BIB are EHT Single Barrel and McKenna. 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

45 minutes ago, Clueby said:

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would think it's to keep in line with the branding of the regular release, but there are a few 100 proof single barrel bourbons that aren't labeled as BIB (RHF, FR SiB, etc). Aside from the newer smaller outfits, Wilderness Trail comes to mind IIRC, the only bottles the big boys put out that are labeled both Single Barrel and BIB are EHT Single Barrel and McKenna. 

Excellent points all!

I haven't looked at a bottle of ETL in a long time and forgot the obvious - it's a single barrel!

Wasn't the original ETL 107 proof?

I'd like to see that come back, and original prices too.

I can't get too shook up about this.  I never see the regular 90 proof anymore.  Do you think I'll see the 100, probably not.

Haven’t seen an ETL in at least 3 years. Odds of me seeing this at a reasonable price? Interested but WAY over the hunt it would take.

Anytime there is movement within the BT #2 Mashbill, of which ETL has been a product of, it always gets me to wondering what are the “behind the scenes” goings on with Sazerac and Age International/Takara Shuzo, how they work things out, and who’s doing what.  

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Anytime there is movement within the BT #2 Mashbill, of which ETL has been a product of, it always gets me to wondering what are the “behind the scenes” goings on with Sazerac and Age International/Takara Shuzo, how they work things out, and who’s doing what.  

What specifically do you wonder about? 

If this just replaces the usual ETL this year I might be able to snag a couple of bottles.

6 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

What specifically do you wonder about? 

How much “control”, or anything that may be considered actual control over which brands of the #2 Mashbill and which labels that use it.  Josh had this thread some years ago.  It has always been a mystery to me.  Besides the obvious Blanton’s label, what is all in the agreement?  Obviously, BT can put #2 in their own labels, as we’ve seen Eagle Rare barrels come from that Mashbill, but I’ve never completely understood all of the who, what, where, when, and whys.  

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

How much “control”, or anything that may be considered actual control over which brands of the #2 Mashbill and which labels that use it.  Josh had this thread some years ago.  It has always been a mystery to me.  Besides the obvious Blanton’s label, what is all in the agreement?  Obviously, BT can put #2 in their own labels, as we’ve seen Eagle Rare barrels come from that Mashbill, but I’ve never completely understood all of the who, what, where, when, and whys.  

So much transparency..reminds me of DC

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

So much transparency..reminds me of DC

To be clear, my “wondering” is not dependent on any expectation that the parties are “obligated” in any way to tell me squat, but rather my own musings out back with a pour, or more, of whiskey...  :D

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

To be clear, my “wondering” is not dependent on any expectation that the parties are “obligated” in any way to tell me squat, but rather my own musings out back with a pour, or more, of whiskey...  :D

They certainly aren’t obligated to tell us much per se, but it seems kind of shady that they list the Age International brands on the “our brands” section of the BT website without mentioning that they don’t own them. I also wonder why they don’t have RHF listed in the products on the BT site while they do list Blanton’s and ETL. It’s also a little disappointing that the Takara Shuzo website barely mentions American whiskey at all

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, kevinbrink said:

So much to learn here in this tread! Never realized my bottle of Wilderness Trail (down in Danville), is indeed a small production that could get the Bottled in bond designation, as well as being a single Barrel.

33ce118a49169776a0ff3b26229e3d9a.jpg

• I like it 1

I hope this ETL 100 is better than the ETL 90th Birthday edition that I sampled years ago at Delilah's in Chicago.  It was so bad that I'm convinced there was severe oxidation or something going on with that particular bottle.  It was a very low fill level that I didn't notice until I had already ordered it.  I learned a lesson then to think twice before ordering a high dollar dram from an almost empty bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.