Lux Row, March 22, 2019

Bourbon Air Tours
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stopped in to visit with John Rempe today. Unfortunately, he was out of town and will be back next week, so I get to make a return trip. I learned that Kevin Dido, the experimental manager,  is no longer with Lux.  I did find some David Nicholson 1843 100pf on the shelf and brought it home with me. John has signed a few of the bottles on the shelf, and I could not resist. I understand that Rebel Yell BiB will return to the shelf at the distillery in a few weeks. If you have not visited Lux Row you are missing a great experience. The showroom and tasting room are a truly wonderful place as much of the wall in both are covered in charred oak  The bartop is finished in antique copper.

DN 1843 makes me think of Hot Ralston every time I sip it.  Which is not all that often, BUT in the wintertime, it hits the spot on some days, especially if there's snow on the ground.

26 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

DN 1843 makes me think of Hot Ralston every time I sip it.  Which is not all that often, BUT in the wintertime, it hits the spot on some days, especially if there's snow on the ground.

I have not thought of Hot Ralston for decades! I was a big fan of Malt-O-Meal.

• I like it 1

I was in Bardstown about a year ago and we didn't stop at Lux Row.  I did get to Heaven Hill, Willett, and Barton.  In hind sight and after tasting David Nicholson, maybe I should have taken some extra time to check it out.   It will be on the list for next time.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

I was in Bardstown about a year ago and we didn't stop at Lux Row.  I did get to Heaven Hill, Willett, and Barton.  In hind sight and after tasting David Nicholson, maybe I should have taken some extra time to check it out.   It will be on the list for next time.

The distillery visitor center is in the contemporary frontier style. Lots of RY and DN on the shelf in both wheat and rye.

I did the tour shortly after they opened.  Really enjoyed it - a squeaky clean modern setup - they were fermenting their first wheated batch at the time.   The (young-ish) guide was (surprising-ly) knowledgeable and did a very good job, much better than some others at long established distilleries.  AIR they don't have a bottling line, and the rickhouse was mostly empty at the time - it will likely be a few years before the aroma really sets in.  One of the really cool and unique things was the entry/stop at the tour rickhouse.  Most others take you into a typical 1st floor narrow access hallway where you see three-high ricks of barrels and a low ceiling.  They purposely designed their tour one with a large entry area with the six stories of ricks and barrel heads exposed/visible - REALLY COOL!

Gift shop at the time was well stocked with L-R labels - Blood Oath, RY10yr, both DNs, Old Ezra, etc, but naturally priced appreciably higher than most LS (as most do).  Pretty good selection of bling too.  Overall a really nice set-up and an enjoyable tour.

RY Rickhouse.JPG

Edited by PowderKeg
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

I did the tour shortly after they opened.  Really enjoyed it - a squeaky clean modern setup - they were fermenting their first wheated batch at the time.   The (young-ish) guide was (surprising-ly) knowledgeable and did a very good job, much better than some others at long established distilleries.  AIR they don't have a bottling line, and the rickhouse was mostly empty at the time - it will likely be a few years before the aroma really sets in.  One of the really cool and unique things was the entry/stop at the tour rickhouse.  Most others take you into a typical 1st floor narrow access hallway where you see three-high ricks of barrels and a low ceiling.  They purposely designed their tour one with a large entry area with the six stories of ricks and barrel heads exposed/visible - REALLY COOL!

Gift shop at the time was well stocked with L-R labels - Blood Oath, RY10yr, both DNs, Old Ezra, etc, but naturally priced appreciably higher than most LS (as most do).  Pretty good selection of bling too.  Overall a really nice set-up and an enjoyable tour.

RY Rickhouse.JPG

They do have the dumping equipment all set up and ready to go, but the bottling line is not in use.   I agree that rickhouse view is awesome. I noted that all of the heads are turned so the brand is readable on about every barrel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.