Dang it... I want my money back.

Curtis Reed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are a lot of underrated, best-value, great bottom shelf whiskey threads. I’d like to hear what you guys have bought, that after a few pours you were disappointed and thought... “I wish I could take that back.”. 

My most recent was a Michter’s Rye single barrel. This one just fell flat and for $44.95 I could’ve gotten another KC SiB Rye Store Pick from my LS. 

Edited by Curtis Reed

High West Campfire...it was only a pour but I still want my money back.   Yep, tasted just like the bottle says.....

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

High West Campfire...it was only a pour but I still want my money back.   Yep, tasted just like the bottle says.....

Funny.. Good one! :) 

I never want my money back from a bourbon purchase.  If I like it, great.  If not, great.  Either way it was a learning experience and I am glad to have paid for it.

• I like it 9

Any time with a bourbon in hand is time well spent. Even if something doesn’t quite live up to my expectations I try and find redeeming qualities and enjoy for what it is.

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, Thig said:

Coopers Craft, terrible.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

• I like it 3

Smooth Ambler Big Lose... er, Big Level.  Also have a few craft-sourced (aged at least six whole entire months) that were in the $30-45 range, but I accepted the possibility that I'd be less-than-impressed, so no room to complain.

• I like it 2

I never want my money back from a bourbon purchase.  If I like it, great.  If not, great.  Either way it was a learning experience and I am glad to have paid for it.

This is my feeling as well. There are bourbons (and other spirits) I won’t buy again, but I wouldn’t say I regret the purchase. Living in a control state keeps the price of exploration moderate.
  • I like it 1

For me Bib & Tucker is a big disappointment.  I got it as a gift, so at least I'm not out any $$.  I've mixed it with Coke and I still can't stand it.  Its probably going down the drain.

• I like it 3

I'd say WRDO was the biggest let down for me. Wasn't bad, just not was I was expecting for the money. 

Edited by jackthedog

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Johnny Drum

Pure Kentucky

I have to agree on the Johnny Drum. I got it as a gift, so it has to stay on the shelf.

Only a few come to mind in recent memory that fall in this category:
High West Yippee-Kay-Yay
Balcones Wheated Bourbon
Pinhook Bourbon
Fistful of Bourbon

Not so much that I want the money back, but I want the shelf space back and not sure how I will ever finish these:

VOB 86 

Blade & Bow

Russel Reserve SiB - I know this is a highly regarded bourbon, and I like other Wild Turkey products, so I think I got a bad bottle.  Just pure cinnamon...  I like the 10 year just fine.

Old Bardstown Estate Bottled 101 proof (sourced version from about ten years ago) was awful.  It tasted like stale orange peel.  I had to ask myself, don't they sample before they bottle it?  I assume this was where all the dogs and cats sub par barrels that couldn't make the grade for WFE ended up.

Another disappointment was Four Roses 2013 LE Single Barrel.  I paid $75.  It was not bad, but not worth the price to me.  

Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Cherry Wood Smoked Barely. $100 and I can’t give this bottle away. Everyone that has tried has not liked it. I keep trying it randomly to see if air helped it but nothing. 

• I like it 2

"Old Virginia" - A European release of surely the worst bourbon that they couldn't sell in America.

Breckenridge

High West Rendezvous Rye

Wish I could have back both the $$ and the liver cells...

This thread is an excellent highlight of the fact that we all have different pallets.  Some of labels listed here I thought weren't all that bad; I wasn't blown away but no regrets purchasing or trying.  Campfire was the only one I've tried that was, to me, truly undrinkable. 

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

This thread is an excellent highlight of the fact that we all have different pallets.  Some of labels listed here I thought weren't all that bad; I wasn't blown away but no regrets purchasing or trying.  Campfire was the only one I've tried that was, to me, truly undrinkable. 

Yep these threads are always interesting, personally I really like Campfire. Of the others mentioned there are quite a few I like fine enough and one that I absolutely love (RY 10). To add one to the thread mine would be Old Forester 1920, I had it at a whiskey fest and didn't like it, but after all the positive mentions decided to grab a bottle anyway and confirmed I definitely don't like it, Smooth Ambler Big Level is up there as well. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.