Dang it... I want my money back.

Curtis Reed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, mross said:

Ok, looks like American Whiskey.20190328_211956.jpeg20190328_211945.jpeg

No wonder you weren't impressed, that stuff is nothing special and I didn't like the pour I had a bar.    The ones you wanted to get were any of the old barrel proof 10 year or older single barrels.

• I like it 1

Thanks to this forum I’ve not really regretted anything I’ve bought. I’ve bought a few things that I didn’t like (Larceny, RY10, OGDBIB (more for you, Harry)) but they were all worth trying. I did buy a few things I’d never buy again when I was a novice, but I still learned what I didn’t like - Michters American Whiskey, Jefferson’s Very Old, Alberta Dark Horse, Widow Jane. And I was gifted some Magnus, Clyde Mays and Calumet Farms.

Would I prefer to have those several hundred dollars? Hell yes, but was the education about my own taste buds and which distilleries to patronize worth it? Decidedly effing A right! It’s all part of the journey and worth every penny. 

• I like it 6

18 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Hmmm...I quite like Nikka FTB, and added a few to the bunker before they became unicorns last year after Whiskey Advocate named it their No. 1 whiskey of the year in 2018. I’ve also got some older 6yr age stated VOB86 that I like pretty good, especially given the low price that I paid for them.

Drambuie is something I only use to make the occasional “Rusty Nail” cocktail, but I have considered the 15yo a few times, but just figured why bother if I’m just using it as a mixer anyway.

I agree with you on those two Old Foresters, but I like a lot of their Whiskey Row series. I haven’t tried the Kopper Kettle, but probably wouldn’t buy one without tasting first.

I have a handle VOB 6 BIB still in storage.  I'm fairly certain that I just don't love the Barton profile.  The best private selection of 1792 I've tried I bought a couple bottles, but I don't crave Barton.  Same for OF, just not my favorite profile.  The 1920 is good, and I do like the JDSBBP, but not much else from Brown-Forman rings my bell.  

The other types of tuition whisky are those that are good or even great in their own right, but are just not the bottles I feel a need to own.  I bought the Dram15 (100 malts to try before you die!), cause my local ordered it after I inquired, but didn't instruct them to order.  I liked the nikka coffee malt, so I bought the Nikka FTB expecting to be blown away, but wasn't.  Hoping it changes with a little air time. 

So, tuition in the sense that I'm glad to pay for the experience, but perhaps didn't need whole bottles and would have spend the money otherwise in hindsight.  Given that I set out to sample broadly the world of fine spirits, I don't mind paying a little tuition to gain some experience. 

Most importantly, I haven't bought an outright stinker in some time now.  Even though I am still drinking thru some of the ones previously purchased. 

Happy Friday!

Prost!!

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Guss West said:

‘tuition whisky’

Love the term! I may not remember to give you credit, but I am going to use this!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

No wonder you weren't impressed, that stuff is nothing special and I didn't like the pour I had a bar.    The ones you wanted to get were any of the old barrel proof 10 year or older single barrels.

That makes sense. I did not know they had different. I heard by a respected critic that it was as good as Pappy. He most of meant the one of the others.  The point is sorta moot now as I have not seen any kind of Smooth Ambler anywhere in my area.

5 minutes ago, mross said:

That makes sense. I did not know they had different. I heard by a respected critic that it was as good as Pappy. He most of meant the one of the others.  The point is sorta moot now as I have not seen any kind of Smooth Ambler anywhere in my area.

Thanks for your comment. I was at the LS today and found the Smooth Ambler on the shelf. I passed it by and bought a Stitzel-Weller Blade and Bow 91 proof instead.

49 minutes ago, Bourbon Air Tours said:

Thanks for your comment. I was at the LS today and found the Smooth Ambler on the shelf. I passed it by and bought a Stitzel-Weller Blade and Bow 91 proof instead.

It's a decent bourbon but the connections to actual Stitzel Weller are wildly over stated.

• I like it 2

I have had a few over the years but recently the Smooth Ambler Big Level is my top spot.  I had bought just a pour at a bar and wanted my money back instantly.  Also I bought that Bulleit Rye 12 year.  I was so completely disappointed in that bottle.  Took two or three pours and then just dumped it into my Manhattan barrel.  

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

It's a decent bourbon but the connections to actual Stitzel Weller are wildly over stated.

I agree. It says it 'contains' some of the old SW bourbon, which I read as being a small portion. I have not yet cracked the seal, so I am hoping it is tasty. I have noted that our individual tastes do differ quite a bit. One man's pleasure is another man's poison, so to speak.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Love the term! I may not remember to give you credit, but I am going to use this!

Stolen from the world of fine tea, where the PVR is all out of whack.  If you get very deep into tea, you will buy some tuition tea at some point.  Puerh and Oolong anyone?  Just polished off a tea cake from Nannuo.  Love me some Alishan and Shan Lin Xi, oolong from the high mountains of Taiwan.   

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, kemosabe said:

For me Bib & Tucker is a big disappointment.  I got it as a gift, so at least I'm not out any $$.  I've mixed it with Coke and I still can't stand it.  Its probably going down the drain.

Use it to cook with!  Mixed with Apple juice, butter and a touch of soy sauce it is great to spray on your ribs while cooking them.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, kemosabe said:

For me Bib & Tucker is a big disappointment.  I got it as a gift, so at least I'm not out any $$.  I've mixed it with Coke and I still can't stand it.  Its probably going down the drain.

But the bottle is cool.  Put it on the shelf and it looks old.

• 4 weeks later...

Crown Royal Bourbon Mash. I don't even think it is actually bourbon, but a marketing ploy to get suckers (like me!) to buy it. Didn't like it neat, didn't like it on ice, didn't like it with diet Dr Pepper or Cherry Coke zero. 

I used the remainder of the bottle to soak some wood and create a lighter log for my fire pit...it didn't even do that well! 

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

Crown Royal Bourbon Mash. I don't even think it is actually bourbon, but a marketing ploy to get suckers (like me!) to buy it. Didn't like it neat, didn't like it on ice, didn't like it with diet Dr Pepper or Cherry Coke zero. 

I used the remainder of the bottle to soak some wood and create a lighter log for my fire pit...it didn't even do that well! 

It isn't bourbon (and they changed the name later to 'blenders mash' after complaints, because being in Canada they can't legally produce bourbon).  I hadn't tried it, but I did enjoy the 13 yr version of the stuff.

Although I also had a CR where I wanted my money back:  Cask No 16.  Cognac finished CR that set me back $90 several years back.  My wife and I used to drink Crown as our go-to in our youth, and I was just getting into 'premium whiskey' when she spotted that in a store and asked if we should try it.  It was the first bottle of whiskey she'd asked about in forever, so I lept at the opportunity - hoping it would not get her waaaaaay into my hobby (because then it would be cost prohibitive), but maybe foster some mutual interest in some areas.  Nope - neither of us were impressed, and I wound up blending it into other CR stuff over the years (and I mean years - I think I just finished it off recently but bought it back in 2011 or 2012?)

Little known fact:  Sam-I-Am is the Director of Marketing at Crown Royal...  :D

• I like it 1

Little known fact:  Sam-I-Am is the Director of Marketing at Crown Royal...  [emoji3]

He's doing a bang up job as aren't they the biggest distiller in the world? You don't get there with bad products or folks listening to internet nobodies like me. ;)

My wife and I used to drink Crown as our go-to in our youth, and I was just getting into 'premium whiskey' when she spotted that in a store and asked if we should try it. 

Same for my wife and I; CR was the fancy whisky we'd splurge on for holidays and ask for as gifts. That's why I was so let down with the bourbon mash variant.

At least it came with the little bag!
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, jwperry said:

At least it came with the little bag!

!!!!   Those 'little bags' are absolutely the best thing about buying a bottle of Crown.    ...Which is pretty sad, I guess.   ...Unless you are REALLY into little flannel drawstring bags...

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

!!!!   Those 'little bags' are absolutely the best thing about buying a bottle of Crown.    ...Which is pretty sad, I guess.   ...Unless you are REALLY into little flannel drawstring bags...

One of my other hobbies is coin collecting. I use the CR bags to hold my 90% junk silver coins in the safe. I feel like that's what they're made for. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

One of my other hobbies is coin collecting. I use the CR bags to hold my 90% junk silver coins in the safe. I feel like that's what they're made for. 

FWIW, the CR bags as well as the Blanton's bags are great for storing your Glencairns in when traveling. I currently have two Glencairns in Blanton's bags all packed up and ready to go with me to Bardstown tomorrow. ^_^

Biba! Joe

51 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, the CR bags as well as the Blanton's bags are great for storing your Glencairns in when traveling. I currently have two Glencairns in Blanton's bags all packed up and ready to go with me to Bardstown tomorrow. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Hey, good idea. 

Do you typically store one glass per bag, or two?

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Hey, good idea. 

Do you typically store one glass per bag, or two?

One per bag. 

• I like it 1

Haven’t really had a bad bourbon purchase. Some are just better than others, but I had a horrible rum purchase that Fred Minnick raves about. St. Lucia Chairman’s Reserve. I guess the note is clove, but it was more chemical to me. $30 rum that I literally can’t give away. I’ll give someone a sample and tell them that they can have it if they like it. No takers. 

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One per bag. 

Great tip, thanks! I had been wrapping in a rag and then using an EH tube. 2 glasses per tube. Will use the bags now. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.