What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Spring/Summer 2019

jeffrey r
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wandered into a mom & pop store while visiting Providence, found this for $50. The owner was a sweet old lady, said they brought in a bunch of fancy bottles a few years ago, but they didn't move in that part of town.

Unrelated pour of Pusser's in the frame there.

IMG_20190707_001806.jpg

• I like it 3

Wandered into a mom & pop store while visiting Providence, found this for $50. The owner was a sweet old lady, said they brought in a bunch of fancy bottles a few years ago, but they didn't move in that part of town.

Unrelated pour of Pusser's in the frame there.

IMG_20190707_001806.thumb.jpg.f5f83846a104945cfcf623c32a7737cf.jpg

Can’t argue with that price! I would have brought it home too!

A couple of interesting things from one of my favorite dusty CT bottle shops-- left a case of underpriced 200th Anniversary Laphroaig 15 and a bevy of Blanton's on the shelf, but I may stop by tomorrow on my way to the airport if I still have some room. The first fill sherry Glen Scotia 16 was bottled in 2008 and is probably an oddball to say the least.

IMG_1870.thumb.jpg.04f23f600dbccf65e93af4dae9b775ce.jpg

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 3

Picked up a Knappogue Castle 12yr Marsala Cask Finish (never had a whiskey finished in Marsala casks, and Chicken Marsala is delicious, so . . . why not?) and a Port Charlotte 10yr Heavily Peated.

• I like it 2

Picked up a Knappogue Castle 12yr Marsala Cask Finish (never had a whiskey finished in Marsala casks, and Chicken Marsala is delicious, so . . . why not?) and a Port Charlotte 10yr Heavily Peated.

Getting the mid year itch there Gary?

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

Getting the mid year itch there Gary?

Damned by the "free shipping every month" on one bottle by Flaviar (which of course has successfully resulted in my buying one bottle a month, including many I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise).  Started off mostly price shopping (like Lag 16 for $83, Redbreast 12 CX for $68 - trying to recoup the membership).  But this buying nonsense is going to slow down . . . really . . . I mean . . . its not like I have a problem . . . 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Damned by the "free shipping every month" on one bottle by Flaviar (which of course has successfully resulted in my buying one bottle a month, including many I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise).  Started off mostly price shopping (like Lag 16 for $83, Redbreast 12 CX for $68 - trying to recoup the membership).  But this buying nonsense is going to slow down . . . really . . . I mean . . . its not like I have a problem . . . 

Thats how they get you, $68 for RB 12 CS is a very good price these days though. 

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Thats how they get you, $68 for RB 12 CS is a very good price these days though. 

You're 110% right.  And I hate that I know that . . . but am still falling for their shenanigans!

Being the geek I am, I've got a spreadsheet where I'm keeping score :lol:  I figure a RB12CS would run me closer to $95 these days - so figure I 'recouped' $33 on that bottle alone (and the annual membership was < $200).  I shopped the first month and made a list where they were substantially below local prices, or stuff I just don't see locally (2 months ago got a Armorik Double Maturation which I hadn't seen around).  I think I've exhausted the big price savings bottles (at least what I'm looking for), so outside of a couple more bottles (they've got an English single malt and a Japanese that looked intriguing), I may cry uncle.  

• I like it 1

You're 110% right.  And I hate that I know that . . . but am still falling for their shenanigans!

Being the geek I am, I've got a spreadsheet where I'm keeping score :lol:  I figure a RB12CS would run me closer to $95 these days - so figure I 'recouped' $33 on that bottle alone (and the annual membership was

You can always buy another RB12 cask strength...it’s not like it’s going to go bad on you before you get around to opening it...or it could also make a great gift! [emoji3]
  • I like it 2

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You can always buy another RB12 cask strength...it’s not like it’s going to go bad on you before you get around to opening it...or it could also make a great gift! emoji3.png

Exactly!  Although at $95 . . . I may not buy another ;)  

Exactly!  Although at $95 . . . I may not buy another [emoji6]  

But, I thought you could get it for $68 through Flaviar!

THANKS Jeff [emoji21]IMG_2240.thumb.jpg.6f2ea513ffb157f7b1cef054f6e6e4ff.jpg

Now wait a minute, I had no influence whatsoever on those other two purchases...although they do look pretty interesting! Let us know what you think of the Balvenie Tun 1509.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

But, I thought you could get it for $68 through Flaviar!

Not after the membership expires (not planning on renewing)

1 hour ago, Auracom said:

importing is a luxury i wish i could do more often 

735BE93F-D0D8-4E8E-8D38-65AD93F1CBFE.thumb.jpeg.a684fc057ade28f7a62ec4c77afd4600.jpeg

Love the G&M Imperial— very well done.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Auracom said:

importing is a luxury i wish i could do more often 

735BE93F-D0D8-4E8E-8D38-65AD93F1CBFE.thumb.jpeg.a684fc057ade28f7a62ec4c77afd4600.jpeg

I left an Rattray Imperial on the shelf a few days ago, I've been thinking about going back as I've never any whisky from that distillery and it's not like more is being made.

spent the last two years going back and forth on this pair of old speysider's. was always just a matter of time...  

93439B23-86C3-430D-8403-83E44BA43F99.thumb.jpeg.191d8f31ede858f778876274957ea9ea.jpeg

1 hour ago, Auracom said:

spent the last two years going back and forth on this pair of old speysider's. was always just a matter of time...  

93439B23-86C3-430D-8403-83E44BA43F99.thumb.jpeg.191d8f31ede858f778876274957ea9ea.jpeg

Very nice, the Dalwhinnie looks incredible— aren’t those both 2003 releases?

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Very nice, the Dalwhinnie looks incredible— aren’t those both 2003 releases?

yep. was telling a friend they should've waited another however-many-months to have bottled both at 30.

19 minutes ago, Auracom said:

yep. was telling a friend they should've waited another however-many-months to have bottled both at 30.

I actually find the 29 number refreshing— it means they were bottled when perfectly ripened. I’m visiting Dalwhinnie in little over a week— very much looking forward to it. 

• I like it 3

On 7/18/2019 at 7:25 PM, Marekv8 said:

I actually find the 29 number refreshing— it means they were bottled when perfectly ripened.

that's certainly what i'm hoping for!

revisited another local spot that i'd marked for dusty stuff some time ago and decided to pull trigger on this ardmore. after drinking some old Teacher's i am highly-confident that this will deliver. sucks that it is a low(ish) fill so already put the film on it and will have to check it periodically.

89640AE4-A474-49D1-8E18-FCED2460BCDB.thumb.jpeg.3ecdaa93741df4ca46816eeb74bf602d.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.