What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Spring/Summer 2019

jeffrey r
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I picked up a GM Mortlach 25yr 

Or, as smokinjoe pronounced it..... Mort Latch :) 

Regardless, it was a very nice whisky. Thanks for sharing it!

• I like it 1

Or, as smokinjoe pronounced it..... Mort Latch [emoji4] 

Regardless, it was a very nice whisky. Thanks for sharing it!

You’re welcome Gary...you need to open that Mort Latch that you have and give it a go!

On 4/29/2019 at 12:40 PM, Marekv8 said:

The packaging choices on this one were quite disappointing— lost the shoulder coin and the outer box scuffed the label to death— hopefully the liquid is tremendous.

41D73419-2CF2-4843-8639-CA80C4DA7480.thumb.jpeg.dc3f20a795595d4a5bdd2386b888bd33.jpeg

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the liquid!!

Was impressed by the Power's sample I tried recently so picked up a bottle along with the last Craigellachie on the shelf. These Old Malt Cask bottlings can be pretty decent.

20190502_113325.jpg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, beasled said:

Was impressed by the Power's sample I tried recently so picked up a bottle along with the last Craigellachie on the shelf. These Old Malt Cask bottlings can be pretty decent.

20190502_113325.jpg

Big fan of the John’s Lane.  Enjoy!

• I like it 1

The packaging choices on this one were quite disappointing— lost the shoulder coin and the outer box scuffed the label to death— hopefully the liquid is tremendous.

41D73419-2CF2-4843-8639-CA80C4DA7480.thumb.jpeg.dc3f20a795595d4a5bdd2386b888bd33.jpeg

Have you tried this yet? Is it worth the coin they are asking for it?

On 5/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, lcpfratn said:

On 4/29/2019 at 12:40 PM, Marekv8 said:

Have you tried this yet? Is it worth the coin they are asking for it?

Is it ever really worth it at this level? No matter what it is or how good it is? And I am of course a huge fan of CB. I tried it last week and I thoroughly enjoyed. Enough so that I gave in and bought one of my own. But it is so much more enjoyable when I don't think about how much it cost.

Not as big a fan of the shape of the mouth of the bottle though! It is is rather challenging to pour.

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Is it ever really worth it at this level? No matter what it is or how good it is? And I am of course a huge fan of CB. I tried it last week and I thoroughly enjoyed. Enough so that I gave in and bought one of my own. But it is so much more enjoyable when I don't think about how much it cost.

Not as big a fan of the shape of the mouth of the bottle though! It is is rather challenging to pour.

I just looked up MSRP...Holy...!!!!!

Bruce, May I suggest that you send that bottle away to a safe house during GBS International Whiskey Night?  I don’t want to like it and be tempted to go find it somewhere....  :D

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Bruce, May I suggest that you send that bottle away to a safe house during GBS International Whiskey Night?  I don’t want to like it and be tempted to go find it somewhere....  :D

I will arrange for witness protection! Although who knows what might happen after midnight...

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Agreed— this was a tough purchase to justify. However, given the present cost of well-aged Clynelish and Caol Ila bottlings— John’s cost of goods had to be rather high. Kevin from S&S is leading a TOTC seminar in July, so I’m going to give him hell on the pack design.

• I like it 1

Bruce, May I suggest that you send that bottle away to a safe house during GBS International Whiskey Night?  I don’t want to like it and be tempted to go find it somewhere....  [emoji3]

Agreed— this was a tough purchase to justify. However, given the present cost of well-aged Clynelish and Caol Ila bottlings— John’s cost of goods had to be rather high. Kevin from S&S is leading a TOTC seminar in July, so I’m going to give him hell on the pack design.

I can see myself capitulating and buying a bottle...if it’s still available!

I uncharacteristically chickened out on the bottle I specifically went to a Dallas store to buy. Just wasn't singing to me from behind the glass. Ended up with this comparatively conventional-- but exceptionally priced pair instead.

IMG_1230.thumb.jpg.51129d7e19c0584748c60220349d94ac.jpg

• I like it 2

All I can say is that there are a bunch of enablers on this forum...capitulation has occurred. [emoji3]

IMG_5439.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

All I can say is that there are a bunch of enablers on this forum...capitulation has occurred. emoji3.png

IMG_5439.jpg

Welcome to the dark side... it only gets darker from here.

• I like it 1

I know this is different coming from me, but it’s for my wife’s friend in Texas. Apparently this is the hottest selling item in liquor right now. CR Peach....

6C56E246-6CB0-40B1-B482-8B571309783F.thumb.jpeg.3ae04eda37c97e3eea15906e45b33510.jpeg

I know this is different coming from me, but it’s for my wife’s friend in Texas. Apparently this is the hottest selling item in liquor right now. CR Peach....

6C56E246-6CB0-40B1-B482-8B571309783F.thumb.jpeg.3ae04eda37c97e3eea15906e45b33510.jpeg

That’s f@&$ing nasty

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

That’s f@&$ing nasty

I have not tried it, and don't want to. I guess its like when Hot Damn came out all those years ago. 

Edited by LCWoody

On 5/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, Marekv8 said:

...However, given the present cost of well-aged Clynelish and Caol Ila bottlings— John’s cost of goods had to be rather high....

... another way to look at is that Mr Glaser has discovered his marketing skills have had the intended effect: whisky enthusiasts have bought into the Compass Box hype to such an extent they will pay just about anything for the nth version of his Clynelish/Caol Ila/other bits and pieces blends...

7 hours ago, portwood said:

... another way to look at is that Mr Glaser has discovered his marketing skills have had the intended effect: whisky enthusiasts have bought into the Compass Box hype to such an extent they will pay just about anything for the nth version of his Clynelish/Caol Ila/other bits and pieces blends...

It could be the best whisky ever bottled, although at some price (and one below $500 for me personally) it doesn't matter. 

As I understand it, the whiskey is all 24+ yrs old (sent the request in to CB for details but hadn't heard back yet; assume they're overwhelmed), which doesn't seem excessively priced (and rumor is the Caol Ila may be 'substantially older'?)  Hell, Laphroaig was selling a 28 yr single malt for $800, and Macallan 25 yr is $1300-$1700.  Not suggesting that John hasn't honed his marketing skills (he likely could have gotten more than he has for some past releases), but I'd bet he could have priced that at $700 and still sold every single bottle; and it doesn't seem the price point is gouging or excessive based on the contents.

Until I try one or more of his limited editions that I think are crap, I'm continuing to buy into the hype.  When I can afford it that is ;) 

I think the Caol Ila is somewhere around 30yo or more. I will make a point to ask him the details on it next week.

I think the Caol Ila is somewhere around 30yo or more. I will make a point to ask him the details on it next week.

My local store owner already heard back from CB regarding the age of the Caol Ila, and CB stated that it was 35yo.
  • I like it 1

I think that may depend on market. In Atlanta I can go buy multiple bottle of any of the last 7-10 limited releases. Based on the conversations I’ve had with John I think he is genuinely driven to just make good whisky. However, his cost for sourcing barrels has surely gone up with the market in the last ten years. I think that if he made The General now that he wouldn’t be able to sell it for $300 based on what it would cost him to buy that whisky stock.

And we all gotta pay the mortgage too.
  • I like it 1

Based on the website there are 2 more on the way as well. No Name No. 2 and something quite new, Affinity, which is a blend of malt and Calvados. Hoping both of those will be available to try next week!

On 5/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, LCWoody said:

You're sitting on a gold mine by Baton Rouge standards…

IMG_1252.thumb.jpg.fe31b9f54aa46fc31c94940b8f140714.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.