What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Spring/Summer 2019

jeffrey r
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

You're sitting on a gold mine by Baton Rouge standards…

IMG_1252.thumb.jpg.fe31b9f54aa46fc31c94940b8f140714.jpg

That's funny... After all the fuss over this I may have to try it.

Edited by LCWoody

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

You're sitting on a gold mine by Baton Rouge standards…

IMG_1252.thumb.jpg.fe31b9f54aa46fc31c94940b8f140714.jpg

I think I’m going to barf. Just hearing this is popular makes me think I was too harsh on my Father-in-law when he bought me Old Camp Peach Whiskey last fall. 

They were all out of Old Camp, so I went for Old Campbeltown instead...

659A716F-9613-404A-B9AE-1EF86355C89B.thumb.jpeg.48750b1d0f5e4f7f68142d4ac3242da8.jpeg

• I like it 3

Took a drive to a place 40ish minutes away to a place I knew still had Jameson 12 on the shelf as it's my Mom's favorite, grabbed another for future gifting, was happy to find the Glenfiddich Distillery Edition on the shelf while I was there as I like it quite a bit. 

y4m34s4o-t3xPSHeDwVT_uNSWxFv1GapKHXvTMOL

• I like it 2

On 5/9/2019 at 7:05 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I think the Caol Ila is somewhere around 30yo or more. I will make a point to ask him the details on it next week.

I know Icpfratn stated it was 35 yrs.  I'll be with John this Wednesday and will get the answer straight from the horses mouth.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:44 AM, Marekv8 said:

They were all out of Old Camp, so I went for Old Campbeltown instead...

659A716F-9613-404A-B9AE-1EF86355C89B.thumb.jpeg.48750b1d0f5e4f7f68142d4ac3242da8.jpeg

Both excellent! 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Both excellent! 

I was surprised by the high outturn (9,000 bottles) on the 14yo Refill Oloroso Sherry. Other than the annual REDs, most of the recent Stateside Longrow releases have been single cask expressions at significantly higher prices.

Just now, Marekv8 said:

I was surprised by the high outturn (9,000 bottles) on the 14yo Refill Oloroso Sherry. Other than the annual REDs, most of the recent Stateside Longrow releases have been single cask expressions at significantly higher prices.

Surprised me too, it meant I was able to pick up a few for winters to come. I really liked the older 14 sherry and this does not disappoint. 

I remember seeing some older Longrow single cask bottlings when in NYC last but they were somewhere near $500 if I recall, bit too much! 

• I like it 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:16 PM, RussianBourbonLover said:

I know Icpfratn stated it was 35 yrs.  I'll be with John this Wednesday and will get the answer straight from the horses mouth.

Per John, it's 35.  Great tasting event he put on at M Lounge.  

• I like it 1

Couldn't pass up such an elaborate gift box for the 10yo-- even has a nifty plaque for engraving and application to the front. Will put this to good use shortly for year-end teacher appreciation.

IMG_1279.thumb.jpg.4a26ef30fda71f69fd44140a5b66cddd.jpg

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Couldn't pass up such an elaborate gift box for the 10yo-- even has a nifty plaque for engraving and application to the front. Will put this to good use shortly for year-end teacher appreciation.

IMG_1279.thumb.jpg.4a26ef30fda71f69fd44140a5b66cddd.jpg

The first time I saw one of these I did double take, it was priced at $60 (it's usually around $40 in NJ) and I thought it was one of the older age stated bottles. Most of the stores I've seen them at have been priced higher than normal but I'm sure my desire for pretty things will make me a buyer if I find one more in line with normal pricing.

I've been slowly helping a couple local stores unburden their shelves with KO Rye batch 1 and Nikka Taketsuru 12, on my monthly stop to milk those cows this Kavalan Vinho Barrique was on the shelf priced at $160 and I caved since I can't resist a "deal".

y4mOyhvjQnRU72KQ-sjqi9ocpkSPYRAiN5S6Z_dm

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The first time I saw one of these I did double take, it was priced at $60 (it's usually around $40 in NJ) and I thought it was one of the older age stated bottles. Most of the stores I've seen them at have been priced higher than normal but I'm sure my desire for pretty things will make me a buyer if I find one more in line with normal pricing.

This gift box version was the same cost as the stock bottle-- so it was an easy call. The "handmade" quirkiness of the box adds even further value in my book.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

This gift box version was the same cost as the stock bottle-- so it was an easy call. The "handmade" quirkiness of the box adds even further value in my book.

Fitting packaging for the contents no doubt!

On 5/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, kevinbrink said:

I've been slowly helping a couple local stores unburden their shelves with KO Rye batch 1 and Nikka Taketsuru 12, on my monthly stop to milk those cows this Kavalan Vinho Barrique was on the shelf priced at $160 and I caved since I can't resist a "deal".

y4mOyhvjQnRU72KQ-sjqi9ocpkSPYRAiN5S6Z_dm

I think the cask bottling of Vinho Barrique I have is excellent but the price on it around me has been into the mid 200's so I haven't added another. If it is anything close to what I have I think you will find you have a pretty good deal at $160!

• I like it 1

It seems my taste is trending toward Irish and thought I’d give this a try.

95B3AAF3-D163-4C27-A71E-E3B386B28602.jpeg

• I like it 2

This old boy really jumped off the shelf. Expectations are low, especially considering the 40% ABV— but will be interesting to compare against the rebranded 18.

C189ABDE-22D9-4BA9-B6DE-67FF5816738B.thumb.jpeg.66a2735a7d82bbfca77afdb46813dd48.jpeg 

• I like it 2

Lagavulin 12 2018.

Since I loved the Laphroiag CS, I'm hoping this is going to be similarly-received.  I wasn't real happy with the 2x price premium, but not so much as to stop me from purchasing. ?

Finally tracked down the 2014 "Unpeated Style" release. This one's rather unloved in general, which means I'll probably dig it.

IMG_1390.thumb.jpg.73b616c65ac55b7b2e7be41d2b0bc028.jpg

• I like it 2

Wasn't on my list, but the Glenlossie, Glen Elgin and Linkwood components twisted my arm.

IMG_1394.thumb.jpg.963fd97df46360c9b926263039c0c8d4.jpg

• I like it 1

Wasn't on my list, but the Glenlossie, Glen Elgin and Linkwood components twisted my arm.

IMG_1394.thumb.jpg.963fd97df46360c9b926263039c0c8d4.jpg

I’m supposed to have a bottle of this being held for me to pick up the next time I visit one of my local shops.

25 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m supposed to have a bottle of this being held for me to pick up the next time I visit one of my local shops.

Looks like a slow mover due to a combination of its price and non-Scotch Whisky classification. Bottles were still everywhere in NYC last weekend, somewhat surprising since they showed up on or around March 1.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Marekv8 said:

Looks like a slow mover due to a combination of its price and non-Scotch Whisky classification. Bottles were still everywhere in NYC last weekend, somewhat surprising since they showed up on or around March 1.

More for us! People who don't bother to figure out why it is not classified as Scotch probably don't deserve it anyway!

• I like it 2

Damn nice packaging design, again, from CB.  That’s a good thing.  What’s better, is that most of the time the whiskey keeps pace.  

• I like it 1

Damn nice packaging design, again, from CB.  That’s a good thing.  What’s better, is that most of the time the whiskey keeps pace.  

Well, that’s not surprising since this bottling is a celebration of their 10 years working with their design consultants, Stranger & Stranger. Of course, S&S also designed the packaging!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.