Where does Henry McKenna go from here?

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There'll be a spike like last year and then business as usual when the taters realise it's not a wheater

• I like it 3

It jumped $5-10 dollars in my area after last year's win and the places that have it usually have a "limit 1" sign up.  I like it in the $30 range, but not sure I would pay $40+ for it.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, NDN98 said:

It jumped $5-10 dollars in my area after last year's win and the places that have it usually have a "limit 1" sign up.  I like it in the $30 range, but not sure I would pay $40+ for it.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate on this one, there has been a lot of love for McKenna for a few years now, even before any of these "Medals" many held it up as one of the best values on the shelf.  If someone released a 10 year old Single Barrel 100 Proof whiskey today there is no way you would find it sub $50 regardless of how it tastes. To me as long as it stays under $50 I would probably still be an occasional buyer as there isn't much or any available with similar age and proof on the market. I know everyone has different tastes but to me the list of sub $50 bourbons I like more is a short one aside from WT101 and Rare Breed I'm at a loss to think of one, OWA is on par but the price on that seems to be going up and it's still not exactly readily available, RR SiB I like more and it runs $50ish here. 

• I like it 3

After last year’s accolades, I decided to buy a mixed barrel case at sub-$30 prices, and add it to the case or so of honey barrel bottles that I had already bunkered over the years. I’m glad I did that because I’ve seen it creeping up close to $40 lately in my area, and over that in other markets I’ve been to in recent months. I foresee a Heaven Hill price increase coming soon, and probably a $50 price tag, if not more, coming soon to a store near you!

I wonder if Fred was a judge at the New York World Wine And Spirits Competition where Skrewball Peanut Butter whiskey won a double gold medal for best flavored whiskey? :blink:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Where? Back behind the counter or behind glass or plexiglass or wherever they put Weller these days.

• I like it 1

On the one hand I am so happy to be mostly out of the market at this point, aside from select purchases here and there. On the other hand reading this thread makes me want to grab another WT101 handle!! LOL!!

• I like it 1

I've been drinking McKenna for years and years and like it a lot. Some barrels are sub-par for sure but most are great to my palate.

Last years award and now this one really irritate me. Just like last year, people rushed out and cleared the selves. A bourbon that had been there all along is suddenly desirable because it won an award.

What does this tell us? That most newcomers to bourbon don't have the confidence to make their own decisions and that they aren't interested in undertaking the journey to find out what they really like.

They are waiting around for someone to tell them what is good so that they don't miss out. For whatever reason McKenna wasn't worthy of their time until Sunday night when an article was written about it.

If McKenna doesn't go into full allocated status after this, and if supplies recover, I'm going to have to go out and stock up the bunker because of this stupidity.

• I like it 8

"If McKenna doesn't go into full allocated status after this, and if supplies recover, I'm going to have to go out and stock up the bunker because of this stupidity."

Naw, don't go do that or you'll just be another tater. :) 

18 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

"If McKenna doesn't go into full allocated status after this, and if supplies recover, I'm going to have to go out and stock up the bunker because of this stupidity."

Naw, don't go do that or you'll just be another tater. :) 

Not if a genuine enthusiast of the brand is compelled to alter their purchasing pattern in response to a lopsided spike in demand prompted by an article read by the types of folks Steve is describing. In that case the enthusiast is just legitimately although regrettably having to cover their a$$ or be left without a favorite go to pour. The opposite of bourbon zen in 2019.

• I like it 1

Not if a genuine enthusiast of the brand is compelled to alter their purchasing pattern in response to a lopsided spike in demand prompted by an article read by the types of folks Steve is describing. In that case the enthusiast is just legitimately although regrettably having to cover their a$$ or be left without a favorite go to pour. The opposite of bourbon zen in 2019.

I think FacePlant was just being facetious...because trust me...he has a few stashes of his own...just like I do!

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I think FacePlant was just being facetious...because trust me...he has a few stashes if his own...just like I do!

I figured,  but I too was less than thrilled with all that press being heaped on HMK, not that it is undeserved, just knowing what the fallout will be. Steves post poked the bear and I got a little cranky in sympathy with him. The ghost of HH6bib made me do it ?

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Last years award and now this one really irritate me. Just like last year, people rushed out and cleared the selves. A bourbon that had been there all along is suddenly desirable because it won an award.

What does this tell us? That most newcomers to bourbon don't have the confidence to make their own decisions and that they aren't interested in undertaking the journey to find out what they really like.

This.  The sheeple who are falling over themselves to pay $30 or more for WSR (when it wasn't moving at $9.99 just 3 or 4 years ago) will be clearing the shelves.  I'm actually kinda glad that I've never owned a great bottle of this one.  I've bought 2 - and both were unfortunately sub-par (despite having tasted some damn nice bottles from others, which led me to try a second time).  I get single barrel has variability, but I can only think of one other retail single barrel bottle that was this far 'off' (and that was an ETL my Dad had, which shouldn't have ever been bottled with that label).  With 2 duds - I refused to buy another, even after the accolades last year.  

I wonder if these were honey barrels selected for the competition (I mean - if you're you're just picking something that is at LEAST 10 years old, and 100 proof; gotta think HH could barrel some amazing whiskey for that).  Note - I'm merely 'wondering' (not accusing, as I think the folks at HH are fine people - and I'd be disappointed to learn they would do this).  I've had plenty of retail ETLs that I thought were as good or better than most HMK - but obviously different strokes.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I've been drinking McKenna for years and years and like it a lot. Some barrels are sub-par for sure but most are great to my palate.

They are waiting around for someone to tell them what is good so that they don't miss out. For whatever reason McKenna wasn't worthy of their time until Sunday night when an article was written about it.

If McKenna doesn't go into full allocated status after this, and if supplies recover, I'm going to have to go out and stock up the bunker because of this stupidity.

Per usual my west coast amigo hits the nail on the head. How many folks that are rushing out to get it now passed over umpteen times after finding out that ‘no, we do not have any Weller’. 

Folks now like it because Fred Minnick (i happen to like Fred) wrote an article about the bourbon that beat scotch. 

IMO, folks need to try more, hunt less and drink blind. Find out what you really like and why. 

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I have to laugh up my sleeve a little bit about this development.    I probably have at least 15 bottles of this already stored away (3-4 each of a few favorite barrels, as well as a few 'shot-in-the-dark' bottles).   So, I'm almost (but not quite) immune to this sad turn of events; but I kinda saw it coming; thus the many in the closet.    I suppose it'll become hard to find very quickly, as well as the cost going up & up.

The market is pushed by these taters, and it's a damned shame.

Can't blame HH for seeking the approval and the attendant hype for a solid brand.    I just hope they, and not just the distributors and retailers, can share properly in the banking of tater's $$.

• I like it 1

My two cents...

Let's face it... the ship has already sailed, on a good time to stock up on this expression (or any age stated brand for that matter).  If you're buying now, you're buying in a sellers market. 

Having said that, my history with the brand is that some HMc barrels could be very good.  However, I always seemed to find just as many that were just fair to middling as I did the really gone one's. 

Going forward, Isn't it just easier (and cheaper) to go out and pluck a 8-9 year old Elijah Craig at twenty something and change?

I know you lose a bit of proof, but I always found it to be a consistent product. 

• I like it 3

48 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I have to laugh up my sleeve a little bit about this development.    I probably have at least 15 bottles of this already stored away (3-4 each of a few favorite barrels, as well as a few 'shot-in-the-dark' bottles).   So, I'm almost (but not quite) immune to this sad turn of events; but I kinda saw it coming; thus the many in the closet.    I suppose it'll become hard to find very quickly, as well as the cost going up & up.

Can't blame HH for seeking the approval and the attendant hype for a solid brand.    I just hope they, and not just the distributors and retailers, can share properly in the banking of tater's $$.

Haha! Yes.........

After last year, I told myself I'd stock up when the hype subsided. Then it came back to being available again so I decided it was safe. I never imagined it would win two years in a row.

Now HH has all the ammo they need to take it even more upscale and charge more. If that happens I will let it fall by the wayside.

49 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My two cents...

Let's face it... the ship has already sailed, on a good time to stock up on this expression (or any age stated brand for that matter).  If you're buying now, you're buying in a sellers market. 

Having said that, my history with the brand is that some HMc barrels could be very good.  However, I always seemed to find just as many that were just fair to middling as I did the really gone one's. 

Going forward, Isn't it just easier (and cheaper) to go out and pluck a 8-9 year old Elijah Craig at twenty something and change?

I know you lose a bit of proof, but I always found it to be a consistent product. 

Totally agree. The reason I'm merely irritated as opposed to being full pissed off is because I have a plethora of private selection EC's that I know are all exceptional.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I figured,  but I too was less than thrilled with all that press being heaped on HMK, not that it is undeserved, just knowing what the fallout will be. Steves post poked the bear and I got a little cranky in sympathy with him. The ghost of HH6bib made me do it ?

Thank you sir!!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

A couple of weeks ago I was in one of my well stocked local stores and observed two young "taters-in-training" shopping the bourbon aisle for a bottle or two to take to some party or other social get-together they were headed to.  It was quite obvious that they knew very little about bourbon but it was equally as obvious from their deep concentration that Only The Best Whiskey Will Do.  Of course they had their giant phones out seemingly permanently plastered in front of their faces a few inches away, even as they walked up and down the aisle with a determined purpose, searching from something very intently.  They were on the search for something called "Henry McKenna" because their phones told them that's what they should bring.  They didn't find any here (this store has literally everything under the sun, including normally HMcK10 but due to recent tater activity, the shelves are empty of it these days), so they moved on to the next one that their phones instructed them to purchase:  "That Russell's Reserve Single Barrel over there is supposed to be good."  The clerk happily handed them each a RRSiB and they went on their merry way.  

Edited by Kepler

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

A couple of weeks ago I was in one of my well stocked local stores and observed two young "taters-in-training" shopping the bourbon aisle for a bottle or two to take to some party or other social get-together they were headed to.  It was quite obvious that they knew very little about bourbon but it was equally as obvious from their deep concentration that Only The Best Whiskey Will Do.  Of course they had their giant phones out seemingly permanently plastered in front of their faces a few inches away, even as the walked around.  They were on the search for something called "Henry McKenna" because their phone told them that's what they should bring.  They didn't find any here (this store has literally everything under the sun, including normally HMcK10 but due to recent "tater" activity, the shelves are empty of it these days), so they moved on to the next one that their phones instructed them to purchase:  "That Russell's Reserve Single Barrel over there is supposed to be good."  The clerk happily handed them each a RRSiB and they went on their merry way.  

Tell the taters to stay away from my RRSiB!

• I like it 6

I think this is great news. Weller, McKenna, please send the tatters after this mediocre stuff so I can continue to find what I actually like with relative ease. The only way this would be better is if Dickel wins some big competition or best of list next. Or Beam, that would be fine too. Old Grand Dad and Bookers are the next Pappy, you heard it here first, stock up while you can.

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I think this is great news. Weller, McKenna, please send the tatters after this mediocre stuff so I can continue to find what I actually like with relative ease. The only way this would be better is if Dickel wins some big competition or best of list next. Or Beam, that would be fine too. Old Grand Dad and Bookers are the next Pappy, you heard it here first, stock up while you can.

You hush your mouth. No personal attacks! What’d I ever do to you? ;)

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.