What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe I’ll try the J Henry. Few is swill. Haven’t tried George Rumus, but found Metze’s Old Elk “ok”, but overpriced at $45. 

16 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

3.   J Henry & Sons  5-year old Wisconsin straight bourbon.    This is the aforementioned gem.    Simply put,  this is the  best craft bourbon I've yet had.   Five years of aging is perfectly respectable,  but the  beauty part is the red seed heirloom corn used,  in a four-grain mashbilll.     It's a sweet treat that can't be beat.   And it's balanced,  so there's a blender's skill that's evident too.   

I believe that would be Nancy @WhiskeyBlender

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Well,  my stars!    Then that's the third superb blend I've had in the last few months,  @WhiskeyBlender -  WW Outryder,   Joseph Magnus and J Henry!

Consider myself in your debt.    If you're ever in Philly,  drinks are on me.   

18 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

Maybe I’ll try the J Henry. Few is swill. Haven’t tried George Rumus, but found Metze’s Old Elk “ok”, but overpriced at $45. 

I was mildly disappointed by the Old Elk.   Like you said, it's just ok.    It's an oddball MPG mashbill, using an unusually high percentage of malted barley.   I prefer the MGP low rye mashbill,  which is a significant component of the Remus Repeal Reserve blend.   

1 minute ago, TehRegion219 said:

Which binnys did you stop at by chance?

The one on Grant Street (I think),  within walking distance of the Palomar hotel.  

Yeah, hate to crap on a label but both Few and Koval are absolutely terrible.  Would be bad at $15, but at $50 it's just highway robbery.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Well,  my stars!    Then that's the third superb blend I've had in the last few months,  @WhiskeyBlender -  WW Outryder,   Joseph Magnus and J Henry!

I met Joe Jr. from J Henry at a tasting last year, and happened to mention I'd read about Nancy working with them. He absolutely raved about her and went full whiskey geek telling me about what she had taught him. It was fun listening to him, he's very enthusiastic about their products.

P1110841.JPG

• I like it 5

Colonel E H Taylor made his quarterly visit to North Carolina yesterday and brought me a bottle of Small Batch. I have a few bunkered, but I always try and pick one up when it arrives. I hope to have enough one day that I can make it my everyday drinker (haha). I passed HARD on the newly $50 MSRP'ed Weller Antique. It was a good $30 bottle, but not even close to a $50 bottle for me.

• I like it 2

Seeing double. That's a good thing. This has been fairly scarce these days in Ohio. Liked it before the Award winning, will like it after. One of these is about to replace an almost dead bottle of Jos Magnus. Way different profiles, way different prices. Both enjoyable.

0418191521c.jpg

• I like it 5

27 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Seeing double. That's a good thing. This has been fairly scarce these days in Ohio. Liked it before the Award winning, will like it after. One of these is about to replace an almost dead bottle of Jos Magnus. Way different profiles, way different prices. Both enjoyable.

0418191521c.jpg

I am starting to see these creep back into market.  I just got a "Post Win" bottle.  Barrel No# 6101.  I saw the case box and it was shipped on 4-3-19. Barreled on 

2-2-09.  So hopefully this is not the "New Blanton's".

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, BDanner said:

Colonel E H Taylor made his quarterly visit to North Carolina yesterday and brought me a bottle of Small Batch. I have a few bunkered, but I always try and pick one up when it arrives. I hope to have enough one day that I can make it my everyday drinker (haha). I passed HARD on the newly $50 MSRP'ed Weller Antique. It was a good $30 bottle, but not even close to a $50 bottle for me.

The variances in availability state to state never cease to amaze me. EHT stuff is on the shelf in basically every store, every day here. The barrel proof has gotten tougher but the small batch /single barrel / rye are everywhere, and priced very fairly

20 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I met Joe Jr. from J Henry at a tasting last year, and happened to mention I'd read about Nancy working with them. He absolutely raved about her and went full whiskey geek telling me about what she had taught him. It was fun listening to him, he's very enthusiastic about their products.

P1110841.JPG

Nice pick up! Whenever I travel up to the Badger state (where I'm originally from) I always bring a few bottles back to Texas with me. Really enjoy all of their offerings!

• I like it 1

On the way home, stopped in to see what was new, found this at $38 and thought it was a good buy, yes/no? I like Maker's on occasion, so I thought what the heck.

20190418_170215.thumb.jpg.fde20074cdda16a5e1cc7a74471fa4f5.jpg

• I like it 3

23 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

The variances in availability state to state never cease to amaze me. EHT stuff is on the shelf in basically every store, every day here. The barrel proof has gotten tougher but the small batch /single barrel / rye are everywhere, and priced very fairly

What state if you don't mind me asking. The small batch used to be my daily for $30 here available every day everywhere. Then about 2 years about it disappeared and even when it shows up its now $45. 

21 hours ago, Vosgar said:

@Jazzhead& @Vosgar, yep, you're right, on J. Henry, WW Outryder (as well as their other bourbons), Jos. Magnus, I blended all those among others. Glad you guys are enjoying them! I'm sure I've said this somewhere on here before so please forgive my redundancy or being senile, but at WW we didn't bottle any Outryder last year in order to have more to bottle this fall when the barrels are 8 years old. I last tasted them last September, right before they went into their winter dormant phase, and they were absolutely amazing. Blending season starts back out there in late May, so I'll start going through the barrel stocks again to see where things are. 

At J. Henry & Sons, I'm having them hold back certain barrels that are going into the 8 to 12 year old program, so stay tuned. 

I've got several new bourbon and malt whiskey projects going on right now, so stay tuned and I'll keep y'all posted. 

Cheers, 

• I like it 8

47 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

What state if you don't mind me asking. The small batch used to be my daily for $30 here available every day everywhere. Then about 2 years about it disappeared and even when it shows up its now $45. 

Minnesota

Grabbed a bottle of EH Taylor Small Batch.  Nothing sits on the shelf around here if it even makes it to the shelf.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, callingtom said:

I am starting to see these creep back into market.  I just got a "Post Win" bottle.  Barrel No# 6101.  I saw the case box and it was shipped on 4-3-19. Barreled on 

2-2-09.  So hopefully this is not the "New Blanton's".

Grabbed one just in case theyre gone forever. Figure ill grab one at $32 before they go to $69

47 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

a 10y/o and a 2015 Dickel 14y/o. 

Nice find on that Dickel!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Nice find on that Dickel!

Found a few  months ago. They had 3 or 4 from their barrel. Hope theyll go undetected and i can end up with more. 

• I like it 2

On the way home, stopped in to see what was new, found this at $38 and thought it was a good buy, yes/no? I like Maker's on occasion, so I thought what the heck.

20190418_170215.thumb.jpg.fde20074cdda16a5e1cc7a74471fa4f5.jpg

That’s a fantastic price! The 375ml bottles go for almost that much in stores near me.
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.