What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was heading for the lone EH Taylor on the shelf, but I wasn't quick enough. A woman made her way to it before I could get there and snagged it off the shelf with determination...lol. I ended up with a bottle of Larceny, which I haven't had in while, so it's all good.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! How lucky can one get to walk into a new LS and pick up 2 out of 3 available GTS at retail? That just doesn’t usually happen in today’s bourbon hunting environment!

Six months after release, no less. 

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

@PowderKeg I want that JTS Brown BIB.

Surprisingly good for its price point, ain't it?  

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Six months after release, no less. 

I'm calling it.  This guy either writes for the WaPo or Penthouse - I was home waiting for the cable guy to show up and turns out it wasn't a guy but a gal and ..... :) 

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I'm calling it.  This guy either writes for the WaPo or Penthouse - I was home waiting for the cable guy to show up and turns out it wasn't a guy but a gal and ..... :) 

Nope. Ain’t gonna go there. :wacko:

Biba! Joe

Surprisingly good for its price point, ain't it?  

I wouldn’t know, which is why I’m interested. I’m guessing based on the other HH BIBs it is good.

I'm calling it.  This guy either writes for the WaPo or Penthouse - I was home waiting for the cable guy to show up and turns out it wasn't a guy but a gal and ..... [emoji4] 

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.
  • I like it 2

This weekend’s pick ups.. MMCS which I’ve been eager to try.. and the Jefferson’s VSB.. I wanted to go the Reserve route, but wasn’t sure that I’d get another $20 of gratification it was going to run in addition..

22E04966-6DA1-4B01-A4C9-151388919940.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I wouldn’t know, which is why I’m interested. I’m guessing based on the other HH BIBs it is good.

IMHO that's a good guess.  I just hope HH doesn't paint their next target on it, or JWD or TWS and send them all off into oblivion like 6yrBIB.  

• I like it 1

I was heading for the lone EH Taylor on the shelf, but I wasn't quick enough. A woman made her way to it before I could get there and snagged it off the shelf with determination...lol. I ended up with a bottle of Larceny, which I haven't had in while, so it's all good.
You could have offered her a marble rye as a trade
  • I like it 5

Wow! How lucky can one get to walk into a new LS and pick up 2 out of 3 available GTS at retail? That just doesn’t usually happen in today’s bourbon hunting environment!

Usually new liquor stores don’t get that kind of product

Just curious what about ER? I was looking the past few weeks for ER. I don’t drink it but I’m trying to get one for a coworkers dad visiting from Russia. Not sure what happened in the past year but I can’t find it. On the other EH Taylor small batch is everywhere.

10 hours ago, Tex Rob said:

20190418_123931.thumb.jpg.bae34874049e1a5cc3d90a0db345c59b.jpg

Tried a new liquor store the other day and although they did not have what I was originally looking for, I came across some GTS at retail (only bought 2 out of 3).  I'm curious to see how it compares to other versions.  

You walked into a LS you had never been to and they just happened to have three bottles of GTS for sale at retail?  GTFOOH...  I'm not  buying that story.  You're just messing with my mind... ;)

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

You walked into a LS you had never been to and they just happened to have three bottles of GTS for sale at retail?  GTFOOH...  I'm not  buying that story.  You're just messing with my mind... ;)

Haha, close - I was looking for Blantons /Stagg Jr at several new locations, the owner of one informed they did not have any, but mentioned that he had a case of what he believed to be GTS arriving the next day.  I told him I was interested, he gave me his number, I called the next day and the rest is history ?   He also made a point to say that he doesn't believe in price gouging, so yeah - pretty lucky to stumble across. 

• I like it 1

The store owner likely bought them on secondary and sold them at retail.

Its called a reverse flip.

It’s the latest thing. 

Everyone is doing it!

Try to keep up guys.... jeez.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Supercharger said:

Ah, yes. The old BTAC shipment in April to a small liquor store. Happens all the time. 

It does happen actually.

Some distributors hold allocated bottles back for restaurant and bar resupply. When the restaurants and bars don't sell through their bottles as fast as expected, the distributor gets tired of sitting on the inventory and lets some of them go to the retailers.

My local sold me a PVW15 a couple weeks back due to just such a situation. He also got some BTAC. Additionally, he just got another three GTS today.

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

It does happen actually.

Some distributors hold allocated bottles back for restaurant and bar resupply. When the restaurants and bars don't sell through their bottles as fast as expected, the distributor gets tired of sitting on the inventory and lets some of them go to the retailers.

My local sold me a PVW15 a couple weeks back due to just such a situation. He also got some BTAC. Additionally, he just got another three GTS today.

Looks like I owe old Tex an apology then. ;) 

I guess I just don’t ever see that here. The whole story sounded too good to be true. 

Or perhaps.....maybe.....I was just a wee jealous. 

And, yes. I’ll jump on the apology train as well. 

Edited by Supercharger

Grabbed another EH Taylor Small Batch.  Surprised there was still any around and not sure when it may be back.

I was out looking for different batches of Makers Mark Cask Strength, when I came across an old dusty 375, batch 15-05. Got it for 30 bucks. Tastes great. Should be fun to include in an MM flight with guests. 

3 hours ago, flahute said:

It does happen actually.

That is a very rare occurrence.

2 hours ago, JMFH said:

Grabbed another EH Taylor Small Batch.  Surprised there was still any around and not sure when it may be back.

Looking forward to the photo... :D  Seriously, I am. 

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Looks like I owe old Tex an apology then. ;) 

No worries, I was shocked myself (in terms of the price).  I know of several other liquor stores that get BTAC products months after their initial release, however they charge hundreds above retail.

On another note, found an old age stated BH, want to see how it compares to the NAS current release. 

20190213_140332.thumb.jpg.527f6b4c8866e04b7fde9a9c9abfd5ff.jpg

It was in the back of the row, moved it up front for the picture, also snagged that mispriced WP ? 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.