What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

24 bottles? Why?

36 bottles of Bulleit Barrel Strength for 18.50$ a bottle after tax.  Most of that is for other folks locally.   But, it is damn fine cask strength bourbon and unbeatable at 18.50.

• I like it 5

With three kids, I took the opportunity to stock up on teacher/instructor/helpful parent appreciation gifts. Around these parts, these Michter's bottles carry a high perceived-value-to-actual-cost ratio.

IMG_1396.thumb.jpg.033deeee3025b01d6700e64b96f1698e.jpg

• I like it 1

Had a tip there’d be a BT delivery today and stopped in. Grabbed a OWA at the new price. It hurt, but I figured I’ll see if it’s worth it to me at this price and try to go in eyes wide shut. 

Also grabbed a Old Ezra since I’ve never seen one before on the shelf around here. Don’t know if I’ll like it, but though it was worth a try. You know what they say about he who hesitates...

Got this x6 today for $55 a bottle. It is a steal compared to the other prices I have paid both in the past and earlier this year already. I left 2 cases for others to enjoy, although clearing the shelf did enter the mind for a quick second.IMG_2140.jpg

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, elmossle said:

Got this x6 today for $55 a bottle. It is a steal compared to the other prices I have paid both in the past and earlier this year already. I left 2 cases for others to enjoy, although clearing the shelf did enter the mind for a quick second.IMG_2140.jpg

Have tried 2 or 3 different barrels of this and haven't found one I like yet.

• I like it 1

So, I have been on a MM cask strength kick. Over the past several weeks, I have picked up a 15-02 batch, a 17-02 batch , and today, a 19-01 batch. These are to go with three bottles of 18-02 I have. Each of them are different, each of them are delicious. 

Now where to put them all...?!?

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Have tried 2 or 3 different barrels of this and haven't found one I like yet.

I've had one very good and one not so good. Definitely seems to be some variation!

Got this x6 today for $55 a bottle. It is a steal compared to the other prices I have paid both in the past and earlier this year already. I left 2 cases for others to enjoy, although clearing the shelf did enter the mind for a quick second.IMG_2140.thumb.jpg.5ba3ba4834db89206ac97654806cffa9.jpg

That’s promising, I’m wondering if this is a new bottling? The 06 aged date makes me think it’s not.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

So, I have been on a MM cask strength kick. Over the past several weeks, I have picked up a 15-02 batch, a 17-02 batch , and today, a 19-01 batch. These are to go with three bottles of 18-02 I have. Each of them are different, each of them are delicious. 

That may be the most under appreciated bourbon on the market, IMO.  I love it, and love it more with every new bottle.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

That maybe the most under appreciated bourbon on the market, IMO.  I love it, and love it more with every new bottle.  
Agreed! I wish I could find more Private Select bottles in the wild around me, I've been trying to blend some of my own lately.

38 minutes ago, jwperry said:
45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:
That maybe the most under appreciated bourbon on the market, IMO.  I love it, and love it more with every new bottle.  

Agreed! I wish I could find more Private Select bottles in the wild around me, I've been trying to blend some of my own lately.

I have to admit, I’m not a fan of most Private Select MM46 that I have tried, though I like standard 46.  I’m talking here about love for the plain Maker’s Cask Strength.  

Weller 12 for $50.24 OTD. OWA was priced higher. 

As suspected, the Weller 12 has gone up in price along with OWA. Given the pricing on so many other bourbons in that age category, I can’t really argue with a $50ish price point for W12 given the times we are in. OWA, on the other hand, is now overpriced in my opinion, regardless of what is apparently currently happening in the secondary market. I’d love to see OWA start to sit on shelves and in secondary sellers inventory, but I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen in the short term.
  • I like it 2

I have to admit, I’m not a fan of most Private Select MM46 that I have tried, though I like standard 46.  I’m talking here about love for the plain Maker’s Cask Strength.  
Here's where I know my tastes aren't as honed as some of y'alls; I find MMCS overly strong if not iced or blended with lower proof Maker's products.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

That’s promising, I’m wondering if this is a new bottling? The 06 aged date makes me think it’s not.

These are all labeled 2006 as well. My guess is it was all dumped and bottled at the same time. However, they planned to release it over the course of a few years to maximize inventory but quickly found out they had a hit with the community. So to maximize profits, either Luxco or stores/distributors have been steadily raising the prices on us. Either way, happy to have stocked up since I enjoy it and it was much cheaper.

11 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Here's where I know my tastes aren't as honed as some of y'alls; 

No sir.  Your tastes are perfect.  Because they’re yours.  Nobody’s else’s mean doodlysquat.  

• I like it 6

14 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

With three kids, I took the opportunity to stock up on teacher/instructor/helpful parent appreciation gifts. Around these parts, these Michter's bottles carry a high perceived-value-to-actual-cost ratio.

IMG_1396.thumb.jpg.033deeee3025b01d6700e64b96f1698e.jpg

Wish your kid was in my class.  Haven't had a Michter's yet, but I'd love to spend the summer sipping it in the evenings.  

Henry McKenna 10 yo

Old Forester

Sazerac Rye 

Smooth Ambler Bourbon 7yo

Breckenbrigde 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, beasled said:

Good week this week

image.png.ce8d28600168b2d027ac8b165c12e062.png

The OGD bib is one of my favourites. Haven't tried the Old Ezra. The bottle goes for nearly 60€, which is a bit pricey, I thought at first. Worth the price?

Edited by Sven Heuchert
Grammatics!
  • I like it 1

A little birdie told me that some Blanton's Golds were available locally - called up and found out they were $199.99 ea.  (twice the price that I paid in Bermuda a month ago).  But these beauties were available!

20190522_141843.jpg

They now have a new home!  127.9 pf and 130.6 pf Blanton's 70cl SFTBs - I ain't askin' how they got stateside, tho'.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

2 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

The OGD bib is one of my favourites. Haven't tried the Old Ezra. The bottle goes for nearly 60€, which is a bit pricey, I thought at first. Worth the price?

I will let you know. That was what I paid for it!

• I like it 1

Still on my first bottle but really liking it.

Well, it was still on the shelf this week, so I picked up a bottle of Old Ezra Barrel Strength. I also decided to give VOB 86 Proof another shot and in honor of Craft Whiskey day I picked up a bottle of Old Nick Williams (ONW) Bourbon. This batch, not as good as the last. 

IMG_6768.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.