What bottles did you open today ? (Spring ‘19)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like I really needed to open another bottle.  :unsure:  My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to open a bottle I picked up at our Spring Bash. The pics say it all. 

Biba! Joe

ec1.jpeg

ec2.jpeg

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Like I really needed to open another bottle.  :unsure:  My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to open a bottle I picked up at our Spring Bash. The pics say it all. 

Biba! Joe

ec1.jpeg

Weller whore my a**!

look at all that other crap.

??

• I like it 3

Got a fresh supply of this today and figured it was time to open another one.IMG_2141.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/21/2019 at 6:03 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

ec1.jpeg

Is that a bottle of WA107 I see peeking over the shoulder of the WSR?  You likee????   ?

41 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Is that a bottle of WA107 I see peeking over the shoulder of the WSR?  You likee????   ?

As a matter of fact it is.  It’s a private selection too, and  yep it’s a goodun. ;)  Thanks again Frank.

Biba! Joe

Grabbed an OGD 114 today, It’s been 2 years or longer...  toooo looooong. Wow, I forgot how good a $22 bourbon can be. 

39438173-BBD8-4148-8547-05614C1C0714.thumb.jpeg.cc59bc7156000d66042e32024e936643.jpeg

• I like it 6

I'm at  the beach this weekend,  in Ocean City, NJ,  which is a dry town.     So everyone drinks from the porches of their beachhouses with take-out food.   That means you're never at the mercy of  some bar's whiskey list ,  and can keep a mini-bunker.   I just cracked open a JIm Beam Black Double Aged, that I actually found as a dusty not far from OC.   I am really developing a taste for Beam these days!   This is balanced, aged,  classic-profile bourbon,     With the breezy air coming off the ocean,  this is heaven in a glass, at least inthis particular harbor.  

Coming up this weekend, as well,  is  a John J. Bowman Single Barrel,   Rebel Yell 10 yr single barrel,   Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit,   and Hochstader's Slow and Low  R&R.    The latter, by the way,  is worth trying,   It's a sippable Rock and Rye at a full 84 proof.    Hits the spot from a flask at high noon on the sand.    

• I like it 5

Spur of the moment tasting idea resulted in the opening of this bottle right now. 

I’m unpredictable like that!

?

79D45A03-4E11-4E78-84FB-F38D56154191.jpeg

• I like it 2

Watched my only child, my beautiful daughter graduate from High School. This needed to be opened.
IMG_4947.jpg

• I like it 24

4 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Watched my only child, my beautiful daughter graduate from High School. This needed to be opened.
IMG_4947.jpg

Wonderful time.  Congratulations, dad.  Enjoy that great pour.  

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_4947.jpg

Congratulations on your daughters graduation. I have a pour from a Blanton's ps in my glass as a toast. Cheers to you and your family sir. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Opened a freshly purchased bottle of ECBP B519 this evening. It is good, but not as good as A119 I think. It is close just missing on the depth of flavors on the palette. I'm sure more research will be needed in a SBS tasting.

• I like it 3

Opened a batch 10 of Stagg Jr. from last spring, much better than the last Stagg I purchased, batch 5 from 2015. I did a blend with some OC 8yr but tried some in its own and I think going forward I’m enjoying these two separately.

IMG_6814.JPG

• I like it 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:50 PM, jvd99 said:

I’d be bunker shamed if I showed the whole stash B)

Bunker shamed.  I like that one. :) 

• I like it 1

To celebrate the birth of my granddaughter today (my daughter's first), opened this 2010 WLW and will be pairing it with the Padron 1926 as soon as I get my butt out on the porch. 

If you'd like to see a pic of the little cutie, I posted one in "Off Topic" in the Interesting Photos thread

WLW.jpg

• I like it 12

I opened and sampled a bottle of ECBP that I grabbed a couple weex ago, having finally seen it!     (We were tripping over the C-release from '18 for many months... no idea why.)

This one strikes me (at least in the single session I've had with it) as a bit of an outlier for the brand.   I generally get plenty of barrel influence, with those heavier flavors one associates with a 12-year-old Bourbon ...not in a bad way at all, just a well balanced heavy-bodied, dark and delicious BP Bourbon, as a rule.   This one, to me, has rather less of the obvious barrel influence that I've come to expect in ECBP.   It seems lighter, and sweeter, with a more clove forward and much minty-er profile (typical of many HH offerings) like a HH 6-year BIB, but older and barrel proof.    I like it a lot!

19 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I opened and sampled a bottle of ECBP that I grabbed a couple weex ago, having finally seen it!     (We were tripping over the C-release from '18 for many months... no idea why.)

This one strikes me (at least in the single session I've had with it) as a bit of an outlier for the brand.   I generally get plenty of barrel influence, with those heavier flavors one associates with a 12-year-old Bourbon ...not in a bad way at all, just a well balanced heavy-bodied, dark and delicious BP Bourbon, as a rule.   This one, to me, has rather less of the obvious barrel influence that I've come to expect in ECBP.   It seems lighter, and sweeter, with a more clove forward and much minty-er profile (typical of many HH offerings) like a HH 6-year BIB, but older and barrel proof.    I like it a lot!

Which batch is this?  Sounds like it might be B519 as that one is unusually low proof (122) for ECBP

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

Which batch is this?  Sounds like it might be B519 as that one is unusually low proof (122) for ECBP

It's A-119, 135.2-proof.   Sorry about that!  :o  I thought I'd included that info on the original post... Brain Fart!  :wacko:

On 6/8/2019 at 8:37 AM, Richnimrod said:

I just opened my bottle of A119.  While I still can't put my finger on it, like you, I found it to have less of an oak profile and to be lighter.  It reminded me of a higher proof bottle of HMcK10 so probably not much different than your impression.    I agree it is a little different than previous batches I have had but still quite enjoyable.  I would certainly buy another bottle if I come across one.

I opened the Crown Liquor Knob Creek Single Barrel #7976 that I picked up yesterday.  It was barreled on 2/11/2004 and selected on 10/2/2018.  I don't know when it was bottled but I assume it is at least 14 years 8 months old.

It is one of the better KCSB I have had in a while.  It matches up with one of my favorites from Binny's from a few years ago.  It has a spectacular nose with a solid entry with immediate notes of caramel, cream and cherry.  The finish is solid and medium in length.  A nice sipper.  I proofed it down to 110 which muted the cream but enhanced a fruity note.  

It was $54.99 which is a little pricey for a KCSB, even a store select.  In the past, I typically have paid around $39.99.  However, I have found most store selects in the Indy area...Crown, Rural Inn, etc... to be in this price range.  There was a flux of 14 year old KCSBs that cycled through the Indy area back in April.  The difficult thing with single barrels, even KCSB, is they can range from meh to spectacular.  I am not certain I have ever had a non-store select KCSB that was spectacular although I have had some good ones.  Is it worth the $15 premium?  Yeah, I think so.  I know I would grab another if I run across one.  I buy enough standard stuff that I do enjoy something special occasionally.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.