How many bottles of whiskey do you have open?

Bret Bret
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I usually have no more than 3 open at one time. I like to sip or experiment with them before I will open another one. It gives me a chance to appreciate the finer points of each one.  I know others who have dozens open and go to a particular bottle that meets their taste at that time. How about you?

• I like it 1

Oh about 70 or so. I taste single barrels and current batches right away after purchasing so I can decide if it's worth making sure I have backups of each.

I also like versatility and don't want to be hemmed in which I would be if i only had 3 bottles open.

That said, I do sometimes get on a roll and stay focused on 2-4 bottles at a time in which case they get emptied quickly.

• I like it 2

Three bourbon, one rye.  I generally only have a few open at once.  I also don't have a large bunker but that isn't my reason for only opening a few.  Having a proper place to keep all the open ones is more the issue. 

3, which seems to be the sweet spot for me...WT 101, EW SB, and W12

I fluctuate a lot. Usually I have at least 20 open but sometimes a lot more. Then once in a while I’ll decide to focus on the low ones to kill them off for a while before I open anything new, and end up back down to around 20. Cyclical for sure

Never actually counted, and frankly don't care to now, even if it means I'm inaccurate with this answer...

I'm probably pretty close to flahute with about 6-dozen or so open at the moment.   This of course will vary from time to time; but is likely pretty typical... for much the same reason(s) as flahute.

• I like it 1

Way too many probably close to 200 less if I don't count whisky without the E. 

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Way too many probably close to 200 less if I don't count whisky without the E. 

Wow! That’s impressive. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wow! That’s impressive. 

It's probably a sign of some psychological disorder in reality

• I like it 1

Given some of the numbers being posted, we now know who the real whiskey disciples are; I would fall under the "poser" category......

61 bourbon and rye. I second the poster above: too much fun opening them!

• I like it 1

Normally 15-17 (it’s what fits on my designated drinking shelf). Currently about 25 as I expanded to a second shelf to crack all 10 4R recipes. I also keep a good amount of samples on hand which helps me gain shelf space faster while giving me a chance to revisit certain offerings. 

I think I'm the 60-70ish range. When I first got really into it I thought I'd keep it around 10-15, but that didnt last long. 

All of them!

Well, unless I have extra bottles like Weller and Taylor, but there are probably like 6-8 that I drink more regularly, not that there easy to come by, but they are delicious ;-)

1 minute ago, LCWoody said:

Around 120, a few (maybe 10 to 15) are Rums, Tequilas, and Mezcals  

Oh no don't make me count Rum, Brandy and Gin. I can count the tequila and Mezcal on exactly two fingers I like them fine but I haven't delved into them very deeply.

• I like it 1

I’m at about 3-4 bottles, plus my infinity bottle which I’ve been sampling and tinkering with every week.

Basically, I have one primary sipper/rotator which I enjoy and share liberally, unconcerned with how quickly it’s draining (other than the general stuff, i.e. health, responsibilities, that kind of thing ?). I replace it with another sub-$40 every other week or so, once it’s empty. 

But I also keep another 2-3 of my more special bottles open at a time.  Typically, they only get cracked when it’s a special occasion or a guest wants to try something special.  Once they’re opened, I’m far more judicious in my personal pours, of which I’ll have just a few over the course of the weekend, to introduce some variety and for when I’m more focused on the cerebral aspects of the experience ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.