How many bottles of whiskey do you have open?

Bret Bret
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

26 bottles currently open:

GTS ‘17, PH12,  Blanton’s SFTB, Blanton’s Gold, MWND, OWA, W12, WTKS, Whistlepig 10 SP, BT, ER, RHF, OF1897, IWH15, Pikesville, WRMC(CWSB), HMK, ECBP, 1792 FP SP, 1792 BIB, Willett 4 Rye, 4RBS OBSV, EHTBP, EHTSiB, EHTSB and Noah’s Mill.

I thought it would be fun to take inventory. Cheers!

• I like it 1

Only 16 open here, but a decent variety from which to choose depending on what I feel like at the time. 

Wow, I had no idea the responses would vary so widely.  I have Elijah Craig A119, Rossville rye Barrel Proof and Joseph Magnus open now.  Been sipping the Magnus, no ice, for a while and decided to experiment with a Manhattan of Fee Brothers chocolate bitters, Vya sweet vermouth and Magnus.  Glad I did. Taking the advice of the responses, I may want to open a few more. It may be a while until I hit the double digits of opened bottles, but like they say, It's not the destination, Its the journey.  Cheers.

I usually only keep 3 or so open in the cabinet at the same time.

They are from different brands.  I can always hit the bunker if needed.

Maybe I have a fear of whiskey going stale.

Edited by PaulO

I haven’t counted but more than 40 and less than 45 by my estimate. I would like to get it to around 30 but I imagine it’s more likely to increase instead. 

Similar to some of the other consensus here, I keep a few open out of several different camps to enjoy different profiles depending on mood etc. I have a max open now of 7.. Normally 4-6.. 

10-15. I should probably have more. If I’d gone through a couple tastes, I’d probably buy more of the hard to get (OWA) and less of the ones that didn’t sit well after a few tastings (OF1920). 

I normally have about 5 open at any time. 

But it I may have to rethink this based on some of the responses here...

Here's the real question.....How long do you let these open bottles stay open?  I recently got to a point where I had 30+ bottles open, some of them for 2+ years.  I decided I should start drinking some of them so the quality of the juice doesn't get compromised from being exposed to oxygen for too long.  Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, mpgolfpro said:

Here's the real question.....How long do you let these open bottles stay open?  I recently got to a point where I had 30+ bottles open, some of them for 2+ years.  I decided I should start drinking some of them so the quality of the juice doesn't get compromised from being exposed to oxygen for too long.  Thoughts?

Last night I had a pour of Saz18 from a bottle that only had a couple inches in the bottom. It's been that way for more than a year. It tasted fantastic with no degradation.

I think the fear of oxygen exposure is overblown.

• I like it 9

I’m guessing at least 100 whisk(e)y bottles plus at least 20 rums and a few gins, tequilas and brandy/cognacs.

Last night I had a pour of Saz18 from a bottle that only had a couple inches in the bottom. It's been that way for more than a year. It tasted fantastic with no degradation.
I think the fear of oxygen exposure is overblown.

I definitely agree with you Steve, especially on the higher proof stuff. On lower proof stuff, once the bottle gets below half full, I either focus on drinking it down within a year or so or put it in a smaller bottle. I have had a bottle of good cognac change quite a bit after a number of years being half full, but it was still a pretty decent pour.
  • I like it 1

Around 100 open bottles but I stopped openeing awhile back.  I want to keep 40-50 opened at any time because I like variety.  Oxidation is overrated.

• I like it 1

Just started building my stash a couple months ago. Got 11 open I think and just a couple backups unopened.

Just the one at the moment (SAOS), with about 4 scotches open too. Used to be about 50. 

Prefer to have less open these days, helps clear the bunker quicker and means I can focus on less bottles more. 

I really started geeking out about whiskey in all forms around 2000. At my peak of “openness” around 2014 it was close to a 100 or so. I started noticing issues with corks, evaporation, and oxidation not long after that. So for the next four years I concentrated hard on drinking down the open bottles and minimizing the opening of new bottles. Now it’s usually less than 20 open at any one time. The unopened bottles in the basement is another story. But now when I go down to open a new bottle it’s like discovering what I bought all over again. That’s pretty fun too. And just to be clear, how many I have open in no way impacts how many I buy, for better or worse.

If you include gin, vodka, rum and tequila I have about 25 open.

Edited by BDanner

About a dozen bourbon, a dozen Scotch, and a few ryes. Plus 4 open at the office.

All 16 of mine are open which allows me to experience them over a period of time as air space can influence their profile. I mean hell, they're not going to go bad. At least not in the less that one year it will be before they're finished off.  Like was said, if I haven't had it and it's a single barrel or PS I like to know if it's worth bunkering a few so they get opened right away. Which reminds me, I need to go get some backups!

Edited by ondarocks

A few months ago I wouldn't have been able to answer this, but I gave up alcohol for Lent. If you can't drink your whiskey, what do you do? Inventory it!

I have 46 opened 750s and 375s. I also have 61 opened sample and low fill bottles that have been decanted into smaller containers. Rough estimate of how much liquid is 21,315ml, or 28.4 full 750s. Need to concentrate on finishing a lot of stuff off.

Earlier this year, many here discussed thinning the herd (ie, bunker).  I thought a good way to start was by culling down the opens, which I've done.  I'm not going to actually count them, but my best bet is that I'm now down in the 30-35 range.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.