How many bottles of whiskey do you have open?

Bret Bret
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I

Most of us have also experienced falling asleep with a small amount of whiskey still in the glass and find the next morning that it's turned cloudy. Oxidation, evaporation.

I'm also amazed at the variation in flavors when I taste them in the AM.  Some of them are drinkable, some are exquisite, and some have little fruit flies.  I think all that variation, including the flies, is influenced by oxygen.:o

EDIT - BY THE WAY --

While waiting for the Pitt @ Nats game to start in spite of the drizzle and sipping on some newly opened OGD BIB, I searched SB for “oxidation” and came up with lots of threads; the following threads have good info so I listed them and included when they were active.  [Capitalization and spelling errors have NOT been changed – these ARE the topic titles.]

Flavor Change of Opened Bottles (mid-2018)

Bourbon+Air+Time=??? (mid-2018)

Effect of sunlight, air, and temp on open bourbons (late-2018)

Has anyone experimented with miniature barrels? (late-2017)

A few Question about opened bottles (mid-2015)

Does a bottle change after opening? (late-2017)  

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

This is my 2 oldest open bottles. PH was opened in 2010 when I bought it, and M20y was opened in 2014 when it came out that year (opened it at the LS). And both are still fantastic. I have not noticed a drop off in flavor. 

6A270D6B-FB09-48E9-AFB5-6FAC6B285D63.thumb.jpeg.699ae824dd41ceba7a68820e6f58debb.jpeg

• I like it 3

While I can believe that the effects I perceive after a year or less of being open are just my perception varying, I did have a bottle of Scotch go pretty bad. It was a quarter full after being open for two days and then sat for 8 or so years (properly stored). While I finished it eventually, when I returned to it, I was very disappointed.

Another bottle of Scotch hit the bin tonight, so down to 42 opens (34 bourbons, 4 ryes, a Tennessee, an American malt, a Canadian, and a blended scotch for mixing). Of these, the longest open is a bottle of Pikesville opened on September 13, 2017. Just not my favorite thing neat, but it makes a good Manhattan.

I definitely go through phases where I have good willpower to drink down the opens, but then I slip and all of a sudden 10 more bottles are open.

44 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

While I can believe that the effects I perceive after a year or less of being open are just my perception varying, I did have a bottle of Scotch go pretty bad. It was a quarter full after being open for two days and then sat for 8 or so years (properly stored). While I finished it eventually, when I returned to it, I was very disappointed.

Another bottle of Scotch hit the bin tonight, so down to 42 opens (34 bourbons, 4 ryes, a Tennessee, an American malt, a Canadian, and a blended scotch for mixing). Of these, the longest open is a bottle of Pikesville opened on September 13, 2017. Just not my favorite thing neat, but it makes a good Manhattan.

I definitely go through phases where I have good willpower to drink down the opens, but then I slip and all of a sudden 10 more bottles are open.

First, what is “properly stored” just cool, dry, and dark?

Second, a lot happens in eight years. I feel that whiskey tastes different day to day sometimes, but I know it’s more likely my palate than te juice. 

11 hours ago, Supercharger said:

First, what is “properly stored” just cool, dry, and dark?

Basically it's upright and out of direct sunlight. 

Biba! Joe

I sometimes take samples from freshly opened bottles and do SBS with the last drop from the same oxidized bottle. No ground shattering difference, but it does change, often for the better. I wouldn't worry about it, and focus on enjoying whatever's in the glass. 8 years is a long time though, my max was ~3yr.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, LCWoody said:

This is my 2 oldest open bottles. PH was opened in 2010 when I bought it, and M20y was opened in 2014 when it came out that year (opened it at the LS). And both are still fantastic. I have not noticed a drop off in flavor. 

6A270D6B-FB09-48E9-AFB5-6FAC6B285D63.thumb.jpeg.699ae824dd41ceba7a68820e6f58debb.jpeg

Do you gas them, or just cork it and put away?

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Do you gas them, or just cork it and put away?

Just put the cork back in.  

Currently I've got 21 different bottles open. I like to have choices, hope to be able to add a few more to that.

About 5. I give quite a few away to a “needy” friend after im unimpressed or have had enough. Also like to finish one before moving on usually. Probably bad habits but he benefits greatly. 

I presently have eighteen bottles open. This is about five or six more than usual. Part of the reason is three family sized bottles I now have open. Four if you count the family sized JD that I’ve had open for years. (long story) I’ve also had a tendency to open newly purchased bottles as of late. Hence the three different BT’s currently on my open shelf. :)

Biba! Joe

I seem to stay in the 15 range with all being a particular choice on any given day. I have dwindled down to 10 but that doesn't last as mood dictates all. 10 doesn't seem to cover all moods... Hell, I don't even know why! Food seems to be the same for me. I just want something waaaaay  different, some days...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.