Kentucky Owl Confiscated

briankeith513
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Sounds like a $30-$40 bottle to me.

I agree.  I’ll even go $50-$60 based on the reputation.  But, $125?  

• I like it 1

Everything this brand makes is laughably overpriced. They can go hang out in the corner of shame with Peerless.

I had a chance to try KO Rye batch 1 blind with a number of standbys: WP store pick (MGP), HWMWND, and Russell's Reserve Single barrel. The KO came in last place. It's not a bad rye per se, but it is massively overpriced, just like all of their products. The Rye would be okay in the $60-70 range. $200 for the batch two is frankly insulting.

Now this NAS blend for $125. No thanks. If I want a mystery bourbon I'll spend $40 on Old Ezra 7 year BP, at least I know the age and have a pretty good idea of the source. It's likely as good or better too, for 1/3rd the price.

But taters being taters will buy it. Oh well, I suppose it's good for taters to have shiny objects to get distracted by so they're not snatching up the legitimately good / good value products out there.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Kentucky Owl just mentioned in a post on their Facebook group that Confiscated is a blend of 6,9,10, and 12yr old distillates.

This sounds a lot like Rare Breed!

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Kentucky Owl just mentioned in a post on their Facebook group that Confiscated is a blend of 6,9,10, and 12yr old distillates.

In descending order of volume, I imagine.....

• I like it 1

I agree, I’d prefer that they’d be upfront with what’s in the bottle and have an age statement, and that their products are overpriced. However, none of those things has anything at all to do with how good or bad the product is inside of the bottle. Batch 1 Rye had excellent reviews and was named one of the best whiskies that year it came out, and I personally loved it....overpriced, yes, but excellent whiskey imo. Batch 7 and 8, overpriced, yes, but again excellent whiskey.

2 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

I agree, I’d prefer that they’d be upfront with what’s in the bottle and have an age statement, and that their products are overpriced. However, none of those things has anything at all to do with how good or bad the product is inside of the bottle. Batch 1 Rye had excellent reviews and was named one of the best whiskies that year it came out, and I personally loved it....overpriced, yes, but excellent whiskey imo. Batch 7 and 8, overpriced, yes, but again excellent whiskey.

I don't think anyone has said they make bad whiskey, it's just very clearly overpriced. There is excellent whiskey available on the shelf every day. So why pay the exorbitant prices for this stuff? It's clear that they are eyeing the secondary market with their retail pricing, and while they are perfectly within their rights to do so, that's not something that I am inclined to support.

In contrast, Pikesville, an excellent whiskey in its own right, is $50, can be found in most stores and won the Best Rye at the World Whiskey Awards in 2016, got second place in Jim Murray's best whiskeys (any category) in 2016, got a Double Gold at the World Spirits Competition in 2015, and has numerous other accolades. In the $50-100 price range it's easy to find excellent whiskeys that have no shortage of glowing reviews or awards.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 5

I don't think anyone has said they make bad whiskey, it's just very clearly overpriced. There is excellent whiskey available on the shelf every day. So why pay the exorbitant prices for this stuff? It's clear that they are eyeing the secondary market with their retail pricing, and while they are perfectly within their rights to do so, that's not something that I am inclined to support.

In contrast, Pikesville, an excellent whiskey in its own right, is $50, can be found in most stores and won the Best Rye at the World Whiskey Awards in 2016, got second place in Jim Murray's best whiskeys (any category) in 2016, got a Double Gold at the World Spirits Competition in 2015, and has numerous other accolades. In the $50-100 price range it's easy to find excellent whiskeys that have no shortage of glowing reviews or awards.

I think it’s with anything that one may like. You are willing to pay more for something that you really like. It will be different with each person. I agree that Pikesville is an excellent whiskey, and one that I own and have purchased multiple times, but Kentucky Owl Batch 1 Rye is a better whiskey imo, so I own both. The price is overpriced, imo, but not so much so, to where I won’t purchase it and enjoy it, especially with so many other whiskies also being overpriced.
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, flahute said:

This sounds a lot like Rare Breed!

I think I'll just go with the Rare Breed.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

I think it’s with anything that one may like. You are willing to pay more for something that you really like. It will be different with each person. I agree that Pikesville is an excellent whiskey, and one that I own and have purchased multiple times, but Kentucky Owl Batch 1 Rye is a better whiskey imo, so I own both. The price is overpriced, imo, but not so much so, to where I won’t purchase it and enjoy it, especially with so many other whiskies also being overpriced.

The larger point that EQ is trying to make is a discussion we have from time to time here when the topic of sourced whiskey comes up.

The argument typically made by someone newer to bourbon is: who cares what it costs if it tastes great? 

My stock answer is that YOU should care because it's quite possible that the whiskey you are defending the high price of may be available under another label from the original source of the whiskey. 

The question always with sourced bourbon is: is there something unique about it that is unavailable from any other source? If so, is that uniqueness worth the price premium?

In your case with Kentucky Owl Rye batch 1, there is reason to believe that it is unique. There's a good chance it's from Barton. It also has an 11 year age statement which is exceedingly rare for rye these days. This is why I own a few bottles.

The bourbon on the other hand? Forget it. NAS and sourced from all the usual suspects. It's a unique blend, yes, but not one worth the price of admission.

• I like it 8

On 4/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, briankeith513 said:

So in other words, it's a 6 year whiskey.

• I like it 4

Nah, I’m sure it’s mostly 12 yr hooch.
  • I like it 4

23 hours ago, Kepler said:

15 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nah, I’m sure it’s mostly 12 yr hooch.

I guess you were just kidding, but maybe I should have said "So in other words, by definition this is called a 6-year whiskey."  That's what is supposed to go on the label by law.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I guess you were just kidding, but maybe I should have said "So in other words, by definition this is called a 6-year whiskey."  That's what is supposed to go on the label by law.

I can assure you he was kidding.

• I like it 1

Just now, flahute said:

I can assure you he was kidding.

Ok I thought so but wasn't sure.  I need to get to know folks on here better.

Always assume I’m being a wiseass. About damn near everything. It’s a medical condition for which I refuse treatment.
  • I like it 6

Not that I expected anything else, but this is barely worth the effort it took to drink it. 

Tastes like a messy mixture of all the usual suspects.

I think Stoli probably just had KBD/Willett make up a big batch of Pure Kentucky Vintage Drum XO Bardstown, proof it down, put it in a fancy bottle, and jack the price up x3.   Marketing at its finest.   No wonder it got confiscated...

69911F81-9067-4202-801A-B346FA185266.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

But but but... It says Kentucky Owl on the bottle. That must make it taste better right?

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, BigRich said:

Always assume I’m being a wiseass. About damn near everything. It’s a medical condition for which I refuse treatment.

He's not lying.......... :P :D   Man am I looking forward to seeing everyone later this week in KY!

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

I just picked up a bottle, and thought it was good, but not great. Definitely no where close to as good as their barrel proof batches.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle at Costco for $99... hope to not be too disappointed...

• I like it 1

On 4/18/2019 at 10:16 PM, smokinjoe said:

I agree.  I’ll even go $50-$60 based on the reputation.  But, $125?  

I think for $35 I might be tempted, but still wouldn't want to give Kentucky Owl my money.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, wadewood said:

From Wade’s article:

The white van scam generally starts in parking lot with the con artist approaching you saying ‘you look like a cool dude’

I’m safe from ever being vulnerable to this scam!   :D

• I like it 3

I’m safe from ever being vulnerable to this scam!   [emoji3]

IDK, you wear that shirt from Sampler Friday again....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.