Four Roses SBS

Bourbon Air Tours
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a couple of mini-mules and a couple of shot glasses today.  Oh - a couple of bottles of Small Batch Select as well. $60 each at the aging and bottling plant's visitor center.

SBS1.jpg

• I like it 5

I bought a couple of mini-mules and a couple of shot glasses today.  Oh - a couple of bottles of Small Batch Select as well. $60 each at the aging and bottling plant's visitor center.
SBS1.thumb.jpg.07b91f8e2058082241366f2e40e2a3b9.jpg

What are your thoughts on the SBS?

We will pour a wee dram this evening and let you know. We arrived late and sampling was closed, so we didn't get any while we were there. Out in the parking lot, we spoke with a few folks that had a sample and the said it had a very smooth and mellow mouthfeel. They said that it didn't taste like any of the others that they sampled. The added that they were told it had an extra year in the barrel. Stay tuned. If it is any good, I may bring one of the two I bought to the sampler as it is just down the rod from my farm.

• I like it 4

Mission accomplished. SWMBO and I took a sip and were pleased with the outcome. Now, at the moment I am slowly recovering from a respiratory infection, so my taste buds are slightly out of kilter so it will take several more trials before the complete and accurate verdict is in. I do agree with the 'parking lot people' in that it does not taste like any other 4R product. It is very gentle on the pallet with a slight taste of cinnamon that edges away after a few moments. The nose was pleasant tonight, but I could probably say the same sniffing paint remover. There is little to no woodiness from the extra year in the barrel. My schnozzola is injured and in need of repair, so I will crank out a second opinion as soon as I can actually use my sniffer.  Although I lean toward wheated bourbon, it is a worthy addition to my bunker.

I think I will try some old fashioned home remedy to speed up the healing. My nephew dropped off a Mason jar from another of his uncles this afternoon. <emoji>Super Big Grin with BIG eyes</emoji>

• I like it 5

• 4 months later...
Mission accomplished. SWMBO and I took a sip and were pleased with the outcome. Now, at the moment I am slowly recovering from a respiratory infection, so my taste buds are slightly out of kilter so it will take several more trials before the complete and accurate verdict is in. I do agree with the 'parking lot people' in that it does not taste like any other 4R product. It is very gentle on the pallet with a slight taste of cinnamon that edges away after a few moments. The nose was pleasant tonight, but I could probably say the same sniffing paint remover. There is little to no woodiness from the extra year in the barrel. My schnozzola is injured and in need of repair, so I will crank out a second opinion as soon as I can actually use my sniffer.  Although I lean toward wheated bourbon, it is a worthy addition to my bunker.

I think I will try some old fashioned home remedy to speed up the healing. My nephew dropped off a Mason jar from another of his uncles this afternoon. Super Big Grin with BIG eyes

Haven’t seen a follow up to this post, and I don’t think we got to meet you at the April Sampler like you had discussed. I hope everything is OK in your world.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else keen on the Small Batch Select? 
Thoughts? 

In my area, they run about $10 more than single barrel & $10-20 less that single barrel BP private selections. 

3 hours ago, Iron ghost said:

Is anyone else keen on the Small Batch Select? 
Thoughts? 

In my area, they run about $10 more than single barrel & $10-20 less that single barrel BP private selections. 

As I said last April at the Sampler, "Me likee!"  Not all were impressed at $59.99 + tax from the distillery but the Lexington TW and local Bardstown Kroger's had them for $51.99 and $53.99 IIRC.   So I muled a couple of cases back up north (we drove, long story) to distribute to fellow SBers and L&K folx.  Think they liked them a lot, too.   ?

But we still haven't seen them on the shelves up here in New England . . . . . . . . .    ?

• I like it 5

• 3 months later...

This finally landed in Illinois.  Picked up a couple at $54.  Not much for reviews, but I can say it's worth the money IMO and is dangerously drinkable neat.  

• I like it 1

I read something last week that distribution is expanding into additional states, Florida being one; but my contact in the panhandle hasn't received it yet.

I have picked up a couple of these in the Chicagoland area in the $50 - $60 range. I actually really enjoy it. I wouldn't go much over that price range for it though.

11 hours ago, Moose3218 said:

I have picked up a couple of these in the Chicagoland area in the $50 - $60 range. I actually really enjoy it. I wouldn't go much over that price range for it though.

$60 was the price at the FR Gift Shops when I got my first bottles in Bardstown last April.  Then I was told by some of the SB.com crew that had arrived in B-town several days before us to go to the local Kroger (IIRC?) that had them for $54.  Then I hit the TW in Lexington for a bunch more at $52.  Ended up muling a couple of cases home in the car after the animals at the Gazebo drank a few.  The Commonwealth of Kentucky still has sales tax on brown liquids too, yes?  So your prices are not too far out of line.  ?

FWIW, I really liked the FRSmBS and still have two (2) bottles left from the original buy, after drinking, sharing and giving some away.  May be time to open #11 of 12 soon, even though rumor has it that we may finally be getting our bottles of FRSmBS up here in Beantown this month (IFF the liquor stores stay open!).   ?

Edited by GeeTen
Math error !?!

It hit Michigan at a state minimum price of $59.99, however my local had them marked up to $69.99. Definitely not a buyer at that price. I tried some at a four roses event and liked it but I’m with the consensus in which I’m a buyer at more around $50ish.

FRSmBS has hit the shelves (kinda') here in Taxachusetts - have only seen it at MSRP, tho' ($59.99 OTD).  Still have 2 unopened from last April's trip to the Motherland - will wait to see if a back-up bottle can be acquired for $50ish.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

This hit Indiana recently.  One notable retailer advertised they had some in stock on their Facebook page for $49.99.  Unfortunately, they are on the opposite of town so I missed out.  A grocery store had a shelf tag for $59.99 but they were out.  I found a single bottle on the high end shelf at another grocery store with a large liquor department.  The price was $63.99.  I was going to pass but my wife convinced me to buy it.  Her point was it was only a few $ than I was wanting to pay and it might be a while before I see it again.  She told me that if I like it, I can look for another bottle at a cheaper price.  But, buying it now would let me try it to see if I like it.  I can't argue with that logic unless the price difference was substantially higher.  

I purchased it a few days ago and decided to open it up after long run and nice dinner, and with nothing else to do.  

My review is favorable.  I will certainly pick up another bottle in the future.  Although, I will wait until I can find one cheaper.  

Nose -  It is really faint but I pick up hints of Cloves and Fruit.

Taste - Vanilla, Fruit, maybe apples, Oak.

Finish - Fairly long with a Cinnamon, Oak and Mint.  

I see similarities with the regular small batch, although superior in flavor and mouthfeel which is probably because it is higher proof and NCF.  It is not quite chewy but it has a nice oily texture.  It is a little hot on the finish which could be because, to my understanding, it is a blend of 6 and 7 y/o bourbons.  However, it is hot in a good way.  Similar, to OBSK or OESK, this seems like it would be great on a chilly night.  Sort of like tonight.  

I have had some stellar FRPS over the years which would blow this out of the water.  However, they are no longer available and those that are usually are significantly overpriced.  I would compare this "blend" favorably to many of the upper middle tier FRPS I have had.  Oddly, it reminds me a few HKMcK10s that I have had and those were from another distiller and single barrel.

I would be a buyer any where from $49.99 to $59.99.  Given that I enjoy WT101, KC, WR and EC, it is likely this would be a mid-tier pour to be enjoyed occasionally.  I have no regrets paying $63.99 for my bottle and, knowing what I know now, I can see anyone wanting to try it paying that amount.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be of interest to you FR's fans (if you haven't already seen it). Brent gives some info on comparing the Small Batch and Small Batch Select

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/blog/brents-pick-small-batch-vs-small-batch-select/?utm_source=Mellow+Moments+Club&utm_campaign=9579fee8e1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_04_01_06_47&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d4cd1dc892-9579fee8e1-147327369

• I like it 3

This finally arrived in my neck of the woods last week! I know FacePlant probably rushed out immediately to buy a bottle...Not! I am a big fan of the Small Batch Select...just wish it wasn’t so pricey!

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.