Prohibition bottle found. Need info!

Dman3931
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi,

We found this prohibition era bottle of rye when cleaning out my parents house. I couldn’t find any information about it online so I figured I would ask the experts and see if anyone on the forum knows anything further about it. Unopened. 

Thank you in advance. 

C65DAB44-A842-423F-9D13-B32CA65C6FEB.jpeg

A7E2A808-CC9B-4324-AA45-2395C5B2515C.jpeg

E31A08E2-4C4C-49DE-AACA-EED007641D67.jpeg

• I like it 2

Never seen nor heard of this brand (no shock there, I guess); but, I'll make one observation:

The printing on this label is VERY poor.    ...Though the label does seem to be in remarkably good condition.

Is there any information with the name of a company or address?  I don't see the proof or volume either?  We don't see the top of the bottle.  The paper of the label seems in perfect condition.  I think 1920 era paper and ink would have degraded a bit even in the best storage.

We try and be as helpful as we can with information and such, but we aren't an appraisal site. And just in case you're trolling for a sale or trade, the buying, selling or trading of alcohol without a license is illegal for all intensive purposes. That's why we don't allow it here. Even the mentioning or hinting of such is frowned upon. Not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm guessing you didn't read the site rules, or helpful hints for new members threads. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or any of the other staff members. 

Joe

On 4/23/2019 at 8:07 PM, PaulO said:

Is there any information with the name of a company or address?  I don't see the proof or volume either?  We don't see the top of the bottle.  The paper of the label seems in perfect condition.  I think 1920 era paper and ink would have degraded a bit even in the best storage.

It's of course possible that the label was printed on low acid paper, but that would be unlikely. Notice the text tracking on the word "RYE" as well. Looks kinda like a software job of paragraph justification to me, but WTF do I know? 

Another thought because the label on the bottle says "TRADE     MARK" on it - Search the US Patent and Trademark Office database for registered TMs similar to, for example, "Old Reserve" "Old Reserve Fine Rye Whiskey" etc. as well as for catch phrases on the label like "numerous and injurious imitations" and "celebrated Brand" and similar stuff.  Even expired TMs sometimes pop up.  Also, there are myriad "free" and "fee based" commercial search sites out there.

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious as to why you are calling this a "prohibition era" bottle. I so no indication on the label as to when it was produced. 

The verbiage about being 'recommended for Medicinal Use'...?   

Maybe; but the prohibition era bottles I've seen have all been "pint" bottles.   

My understanding is that Doctors could 'prescribe' a pint of whiskey per some period (a week?), per patient, and that all the whiskey was so packaged...no?

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, Richnimrod said:

My understanding is that Doctors could 'prescribe' a pint of whiskey per some period (a week?), per patient, and that all the whiskey was so packaged...no?

You are correct. Prohibition era bottles have a back label satisfying the for medicinal purposes only and other government requirements for that era. As you say they were sold in pint bottles only.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, Richnimrod said:

Yes I believe the prescription was for a pint every ten days.

All you needed was a friendly Doc and you were set. Kinda like 'medicinal weed' in a way I guess.

This bottle is not prohibition era from what I can see. 

Does the bottle have embossing to the effect 'no refill' etc? that would be from after prohibition until about 1963 I think. There isn't anything on the label that gives much indication at all...

Edited by RWBadley

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.