Older MGP Ryes?

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does any one know which of the MGP ryes are oldest? I would like to try one that is 5 years or more.

Regards, Jim  

Certainly not the oldest, but the new Bulleit 12 yo Rye has some decent age for the price.

• I like it 1

If you have access to Whistle Pig 10yr single barrel store pick, some of them are from MGP and older than 13.5 years old. 

• I like it 1

Bulleit 12 yr, nor any Redemption is available here in Utah. I have tried Whistle Pig 10 yr and was not impressed. I thought was 100% Canadian rye. I have never cared for Canadian whiskey. They distill most of the flavor out and they use enzymes to convert starch to sugar, no malt.

Regards, Jim 

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

Bulleit 12 yr, nor any Redemption is available here in Utah. I have tried Whistle Pig 10 yr and was not impressed. I thought was 100% Canadian rye. I have never cared for Canadian whiskey. They distill most of the flavor out and they use enzymes to convert starch to sugar, no malt.

Regards, Jim 

For the WhistlePig, it depends when it was bottled. For a long time it was all Canadian, but at some point they started mixing in MGP as well. For what it’s worth I’ve really liked some of the store picks that have been MGP

• I like it 1

^ I also love the 10 yo WP store pick. I picked one up in FL on Spring break a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine who lives down there to get me another bottle. 

I don't  know how to tell if that bottle is Canadian mixed with MGP.

Edited by Oli77
typo

4 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

It will (should) say on the back.D459D1C4-CC9B-43D4-AB16-CDBBE55C859A.thumb.jpeg.f3fe6e1dd56cb059c66d600e26d099e3.jpeg

because of shenanigans many of the supposed MGP WP picks still say imported from Canada on them, this of course could be due to shenanigans of WP or the retailers....

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

because of shenanigans many of the supposed MGP WP picks still say imported from Canada on them, this of course could be due to shenanigans of WP or the retailers....

But mostly WP I suspect. Of course originally they claimed it was all from Vermont...

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:12 AM, hawkeye62 said:

Regards, Jim 

Batches of 2016-17 High West Rendezvous rye should be primarily MGP rye (6-16 years blended). 

The first two digits of batch # should be the year.   You should have no problem finding that with a little looking around. 

In 2018 I believe they started blending in their own rye. 

One of the distillery workers recommended I check stores in “more religion heavy areas”, as stuff tends to sit longer on the shelf. 

You ultimately may have to cross state lines to find what you’re looking for. 

• I like it 1

Thanks for the Pic LCWoody. My bottle also states that it is imported from Canada.

I was wondering if there is a code somewhere on the bottle to tell us that this was at one point mixed with MGP (as Kevin is mentioning).

8 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

Thanks for the Pic LCWoody. My bottle also states that it is imported from Canada.

I was wondering if there is a code somewhere on the bottle to tell us that this was at one point mixed with MGP (as Kevin is mentioning).

Nope, really the only way to know, and even that is to me a little suspect, is to ask the retailer.  I've heard many stories about WP using MGP barrels for the Single Barrel Selections at this point, some claiming all of the barrels from the 2nd half of last year were MGP. The issue here is that there was some excitement in the Social media groups around it so my guess is that some tall tales developed out of the "excitement". 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Oli77 said:

I was wondering if there is a code somewhere on the bottle to tell us that this was at one point mixed with MGP

For the store pick single barrels you can also contact WP directly. I bought a bottle from Total Wine in Louisville and contacted WP through the customer service link on their website. I provided the bottle code and asked if they knew the age and whether it was MGP or ADL distillate. They very promptly responded telling me it was a 13yr MGP Barrell.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Soberiquet said:

For the store pick single barrels you can also contact WP directly. I bought a bottle from Total Wine in Louisville and contacted WP through the customer service link on their website. I provided the bottle code and asked if they knew the age and whether it was MGP or ADL distillate. They very promptly responded telling me it was a 13yr MGP Barrell.

I'm just curious, does it say "imported from Canada" on the back?  

7 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I'm just curious, does it say "imported from Canada" on the back?

It does.

29 minutes ago, Soberiquet said:

It does.

I have one from TW that has Canada on the back also, but I'm 99% sure its MGP juice. ( Its so good! ) Not that big of a deal to me, but it is nice to have the right info on the bottle. I'm sure its a cost issue or just laziness. 

31 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Not that big of a deal to me, but it is nice to have the right info on the bottle. I'm sure its a cost issue or just laziness

Agree that it is nice to have that information on the bottle. I think you are right about laziness or cost. I don't think they are trying to be deceptive. If that were the case, they probably would have not responded to my question.

18 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

I did the same for the TWCP barrels that they had (which they are sold out of now), and they confirmed MGP.

I don't think WP ever used or blended MGP for the standard 10 year 100 pf product - or at least, I've not read that this was the case, though it would not surprise me if true. The last few bottles of WP10/100 I've had were clearly ADL/Canada. But recent single barrel store picks have been MGP - and have been awesome. I've heard that they will be shifting back to the Canadian stuff for the single barrel line, and that the MGP barrels were never meant to be a major part of the single barrel program, but I don't know how accurate that is.

A bit of an aside, while the stuff WP sources from ADL is technically Canadian whiskey, this bears little resemblance to typical Canadian whiskey, which is distilled to a very high proof to be rather neutral, and then aged in usage cooperage. Canadian whiskey is typically made by distilling pure grains (ie: all corn, or all rye mash), and then blending these, and this is the main reason they need to use enzymes to ferment, pure rye doesn't have a high enough sugar content to ferment on its own. Often there is a base of the lighter, used cooperage stuff, blended with what they refer to as "flavoring stock". From my understanding, the rye whiskey sourced from ADL for WP and a number of other brands (Masterson's, Lock Stock & Barrel), is the flavoring component, which is produced in a style similar to American Rye whiskey, and when bottled on its own, doesn't have much to do with the typical (ie: Crown Royal) blended Canadian whiskies. It has a big, bold flavor with clear rye spice, and isn't overhwelmed by the artificial vanilla notes that typically march all over the light bodied Canadian blends. But hey, if you don't like the ADL stuff, I get it. It's not my favorite thing in the world either, at ~ the same age and price point I prefer MGP.

MGP is used solely for the 12 year old WP Old World bottling from what I understand, so this is one of the oldest MGP ryes, along with Bulliet 12, that can be reasonably found these days. Some of the Boss Hogs have been MGP as well. Personally I find the WP12 thin, unremarkable and overpriced, and haven't tried any of the Boss Hogs (too expensive). As mentioned Redemption has a 10 year rye - I had an older 8 year Redemption and found it to be rather good.

Rossville Union Rye is MGP's new house brand. There is a barrel proof and a proofed down batch currently on the market. I believe these are in the 5-6 year range, using a blend of MGP's 95% and the relatively new 51% rye mashbill, so probably a bit different to most other MGP sourced ryes, but I imagine still in the general MGP house style. This is on my list to try.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

Having had most of the Redemption BP Ryes I feel safe in saying the 7 year is my preference, thats pretty much my sweet spot for MGP Rye/ O haven't actually consumed any of the supposed WP MGP ryes (though I have a few) but generally speaking over 10 years, from the whiskies I have had, I prefer ADL rye to MGP.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.