Wilderness Trail Small Batch 2019 release

Oli77
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a great time at WT yesterday, every one was super nice, there was great food, and great bourbon... 

Will post  a pic of the signed bottle and a bit about the taste. Great stuff BTW. 

It's a sweet mash high rye whisky with 64 corn, 21 rye, and 12 malted barley. It's a small batch BiB.

I bought nice glasses from the KY distiller association. We talked to Pat and Shane for a long time and they signed our bottles.

The initial poor last night was excellent. Sweet corn is here and the the subtle floral notes of the Rye comes through...

More as i sample. Couldn't say enough about how everyone was super nice. I would encourage others to visit. 20190428_160215.jpg

• I like it 2

Thanks Dad-proof, I too thought this was a beautiful glass. The glass is heavier and much thicker than a Glencairn.  Big open mouth so it doesn't concentrate the nose too much. You can still sample and sniff wood and caramel really well though!

Should do a glass comparison on the same bourbon.

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, Oli77 said:

It's a sweet mash high rye whisky with 64 corn, 21 rye, and 12 malted barley. It's a small batch BiB.

A quick question re. the masbill, Oli77....

This loox a bit 'short', adding up to only 97%.     I realize that the figures are usually an approximation and don't always hit 100% "on the nose"; but this is one that has me scratching my noggin.   In my experience, the ones that miss 100% are within a point of it, and the 'rounding' of the component numbers easily explains it.     Can you enlighten us?    Is there another small component used?

6 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

Good catch Rich, it's 64,24,12.  Mea Culpa. 

Thanx!

• 2 weeks later...
Good catch Rich, it's 64,24,12.  Mea Culpa. 
I thought those numbers didn't add properly...

What's their distribution look like? That mash bill reminds me almost of wild turkey 101 (if my memory serves me right) and I always like to try to support small business when appropriate. I'm in FL.

I am not sure about their distribution. I can say that this special release bottle in particular is not seen often  around the LS in the next big city (i.e.  Lexington). I am glad I drove down there to get a bottle.  I am assuming they have some left over in their store.

I can also tell you that there are 3 rick houses on the property and 2 more under construction (I think). 

Like you, I like to support local production. They grow their own grains or import them from very local farms as far as I can tell.

• I like it 1

I just did a barrel pick at Wilderness Trail yesterday. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I’ll be writing a full report on this soon. 

• I like it 2

^ You got me all chocked up here!

I was sitting last night sipping on their 2019 release of the small batch mentioned above. Tasted it after an ounce of OWA 107 and thought there was more sweetness, and depth in the WiT! 

Waiting for your report with impatience, can you tell us the age at least? Thought they are starting to put >4 year old stuff now am I correct?

Wow 118 proof; the barrel proof one I got from them a few months ago was 98. That is quite a difference!

50 minutes ago, coppelius said:

Wow 118 proof; the barrel proof one I got from them a few months ago was 98. That is quite a difference!

The one you have went into the barrel at 100 proof. The one we picked went in at 110.

• I like it 1

I was a couple days early for the smb but we did the tour and tasting. My buddy and I were immediately impressed with the rye during the tasting. We confirmed our impressions with a second round then went directly to the shelf for our own bottles. I have already gotten a few texts raving about it, its a very good pour. They had 2 different barrels represented on the shelf and we picked the one we enjoyed during the post tour tasting.

looking forward to your notes Steve as we also came away well impressed with WT.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, Oli77 said:

I am not sure about their distribution. I can say that this special release bottle in particular is not seen often  around the LS in the next big city (i.e.  Lexington). I am glad I drove down there to get a bottle.  I am assuming they have some left over in their store.

I can also tell you that there are 3 rick houses on the property and 2 more under construction (I think). 

Like you, I like to support local production. They grow their own grains or import them from very local farms as far as I can tell.

I was there Thursday afternoon and they had plenty of the cask strength rye and the new rye mashbill bourbon. I bought 2 different barrels of the rye and a bottle of the new rye containing bourbon. Tasting was great, wish I'd also bought the wheated bourbon and the rum. Didn't get to do the tour though unfortunately, next time! Very impressed, will follow these guys progress closely over next few years. 

• I like it 1

I liked their Rum too. 

So they had plenty of the one I posted above ? That is good because I really really like this stuff.

Post your thoughts and tasting notes on it when you have a chance.

Edited by Oli77
Clarity

3 hours ago, Oli77 said:

I liked their Rum too. 

So they had plenty of the one I posted above ? That is good because I really really like this stuff.

Post your thoughts and tasting notes on it when you have a chance.

Yes they had a bunch. I'll post once I dig into it but it'll probably be a bit as I need to clear some shelf space. 

F7CF4878-3C61-4E99-8B6F-1B8163B01D57.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the Rye from Wilderness Trail today. This one is barrel strength at 112 proof. 

Tasting it now and after a little air time in the glass, I find it very tasty, deep, rich and sweet. 

Tried it yet TImeWillTell?

I was extremely disappointed in the whiskey from their first release last year that I've been a bit gun shy about trying the rye but with the above reviews I might have to give it a shot.

6 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I was extremely disappointed in the whiskey from their first release last year that I've been a bit gun shy about trying the rye but with the above reviews I might have to give it a shot.

The rye is fantastic. Give it a shot. 

The bourbon needs more time. 

7 hours ago, flahute said:

The rye is fantastic. Give it a shot. 

The bourbon needs more time. 

I recently had some of the rye and really enjoyed it.  Barrel proof at a high 90's and tasty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.