We need a new Bourbon for our Club

TomWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few of my friends recently started  a bourbon club.  We need advice for the next bottle to buy and taste and enjoy together.  So far the favorites  we’ve enjoyed have been (in order):

1. Blanton’s

2. Woodford Reserve

3. Bulleit 10-year

Based on these bourbons, can anyone  please make suggestions  for future bourbons to taste? Thank you

-Four Roses single barrel

(easy to find and each barrel is different.   It tells you barrel # / location info right on the label). 

You might also try changing your font in the above post.  It’s barely readable (too dark on a dark background). 

24 minutes ago, 0895 said:

-Four Roses single barrel

(easy to find and each barrel is different.   It tells you barrel # / location info right on the label). 

You might also try changing your font in the above post.  It’s barely readable (too dark on a dark background). 

I’m not sure how I messed up the font but it no longer allows me to edit.  Would it be worth making a new post so others can read?  

Thank you for the suggestion 

One way to approach would be to pick a brand from a distiller whose products you haven't tasted.  Blanton's is distilled by Buffalo Trace while WR is a Kentucky product of Brown-Forman (maker of Jack Daniels of Tennesee fame), and Bulleit 10 YR is a brand owned by the Diageo conglomerate although the bourbon in the bottle is purchased from another producer (used to be Four Roses, now could be Heaven Hill).  ANYWAY - you don't really need to get that down in the details like I just did.  If I were starting out, I'd pick stuff from the mid-shelf price range and likely would start with better known,  popular brands.  There's a reason these have hung around at reasonable, but not dirt cheap, prices.  Wild Turkey (80 and 101 proof, a Campari product), basic Buffalo Trace (90 proof and easy to compare with Blanton's, a relative), Evan Williams (86 proof and a bottom shelfer or 100 proof a good bonded bourbon from Heaven Hill), and as mentioned above Four Roses in its several forms (80 proof, "Small Batch", and "Single Barrel").

IF AND WHEN ONE OR MORE OF YOU GETS HOOKED, come on back here to learn all that arcana I just summarized.  We REVEL in this stuff almost as much as we revel in bourbon itself.

Enjoy.

34 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

IF AND WHEN ONE OR MORE OF YOU GETS HOOKED, come on back here to learn all that arcana I just summarized.  We REVEL in this stuff almost as much as we revel in bourbon itself.

Enjoy.

This was all amazing information so I thank you.  One guy from our club told us about a coworker’s recommendation. He suggested Henry McKenna 10-Year.  Would that likely be another good one for us?  Is there any comparison between this and others we’ve tried?  I thank you again for helping 

The HM10 is enjoying a surge in popularity at the moment. It is a bit unique for being an older (age stated) bottled-in-bond, a single barrel offering, and (until recently) a readily available value for $25-30.

The single barrel means variation, similar to the Blanton's. But given the 10+ years in wood, that may mean very oaky and sometimes tannic flavors. I personally prefer Elijah Craig Small Batch to HM10 as it is more consistent, and still easy to find. It can also be an easier drinker at 94 proof. It is the same distiller (Heaven Hill) and recipe as HM10, but will have a blend of different aged barrels, likely from 7-10+ years old.

Edited by dad-proof

A few of my friends recently started  a bourbon club.  We need advice for the next bottle to buy and taste and enjoy together.  So far the favorites  we’ve enjoyed have been (in order):

1. Blanton’s
2. Woodford Reserve
3. Bulleit 10-year

Based on these bourbons, can anyone  please make suggestions  for future bourbons to taste? Thank you

Michter’s bourbon should be one of the contenders....

1 hour ago, Ghstudio said:

Michter’s bourbon should be one of the contenders....

Thank you for the addition 

2 hours ago, dad-proof said:

The HM10 is enjoying a surge in popularity at the moment. It is a bit unique for being an older (age stated) bottled-in-bond, a single barrel offering, and (until recently) a readily available value for $25-30.

The single barrel means variation, similar to the Blanton's. But given the 10+ years in wood, that may mean very oaky and sometimes tannic flavors. I personally prefer Elijah Craig Small Batch to HM10 as it is more consistent, and still easy to find. It can also be an easier drinker at 94 proof. It is the same distiller (Heaven Hill) and recipe as HM10, but will have a blend of different aged barrels, likely from 7-10+ years old.

I appreciate the detail. Is HM10 mostly overhyped at this point and too expensive for what it should cost thanks to increased demand?

Russsell’s Reserve 10 year is probably the best intro to Wild Turkey. 

$33ish, 90 proof, 10 years old. Worth adding to your clubs que. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, TomWoody said:

I appreciate the detail. Is HM10 mostly overhyped at this point and too expensive for what it should cost thanks to increased demand?

I wouldn’t spend more than $40. For the longest time it was an under the radar bottle that most experienced bourbon drinkers knew they could count on for quality, consistency (w/in the single barrel realm at least), and availability. 

Since it won some awards or some such, the same guys who walk in every store and inquire about weller or  Blantons (and walk out empty handed) have ignored HM10 for months or years.....now these same guys can’t buy enough of it. 

So, if you see it at a fair price, give it a try but realize there sre other quality bottles at same price point. 

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, TomWoody said:

This was all amazing information so I thank you.  One guy from our club told us about a coworker’s recommendation. He suggested Henry McKenna 10-Year.  Would that likely be another good one for us?  Is there any comparison between this and others we’ve tried?  I thank you again for helping 

What Dad-Proof said.  One of the better sages on bourbon and an occasional visitor here is Chuck Cowdery, AKA the Crotchety Colonel (Check out Amazon and search for his FREE blog - his books and his articles are certainly worth your time even if he is really crotchety).  His advice, distilled by ME so this is not what he says, writes, preaches, believes, is:  Pay no attention to what others say is good, bad, indifferent, worth-the-money, over-priced, the "same" as Pappy.  Rather, try LOTS of stuff but think about what you smell and taste.  Remember, practice makes perfect.  And, Mako knows what he's talking about; his advice is solid, too.

• I like it 1

I think your club is ready for Legent. It’s Beam Bourbon but blended with other Beam bourbon that’s been rebarrelled in barrels used with other types of booze and than all blended together by Beams parent company(Suntory)master Japanese blender.  I find it very enjoyable and it will acquaint you with some nuances of flavor form the blending that will be interesting to see what the club picks up. I can’t argue with any of the posters recommending tryin the different distilleries but I think you might enjoy Legent. 

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What Dad-Proof said.  One of the better sages on bourbon and an occasional visitor here is Chuck Cowdery, AKA the Crotchety Colonel (Check out Amazon and search for his FREE blog - his books and his articles are certainly worth your time even if he is really crotchety).  His advice, distilled by ME so this is not what he says, writes, preaches, believes, is:  Pay no attention to what others say is good, bad, indifferent, worth-the-money, over-priced, the "same" as Pappy.  Rather, try LOTS of stuff but think about what you smell and taste.  Remember, practice makes perfect.  And, Mako knows what he's talking about; his advice is solid, too.

I think Chuck’s advice, when boiled down is: try lots if stuff. Then go with the cheapest one that you enjoy. 

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

-Four Roses

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I say: 

8 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Old Forester Statesman

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

One way to approach would be to

6 hours ago, Ghstudio said:

Michter’s bourbon 

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Russsell’s Reserve 10 year

2 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I think your club is ready for Legent.  

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What Dad-Proof said.  

You have all been so helpful and I’m blown away by the knowledge you all possess. 

It has me thinking, in addition to the club, what kind of homework can I be doing?  And maybe introduce to my club.  

Reading all these posts makes me realize how much of a beginner I really am when it comes to bourbon tasting, enjoyment, knowledge.  Is there a section on this forum or book/videos/websites that can be recommended for someone like me to help begin my knowledge on this subject?

Oh the stories I could tell about the various tasting groups I've been a member of over the years.  In answer to your question though any of the three mentioned would be a suitable choice.  Other factors would be how often your club meets and how much is consumed at the meeting.  My main tasting group met once a week and there were enough of us to consume a full bottle per meeting.  Over a period of just a few months we could cover quite a few different labels.  Something I started doing is choose a distiller, say Heaven Hill, and feature a different brand of theirs each week.  This allowed a cross reference of ages, proofs and styles without regard to labels or hype for a limited something that currently holds the collective consumer imagination.

One thing I learned in tastings is people are subject to their perceptions.  An ex-wife drank Jack Daniels because that's what her people drank, a dear friend would drink only Makers Mark and even bring a bottle to my house while visiting in case I didn't have any on hand.  Even a grumpy old fart who is fairly knowledgeable but will reach over high tone labels to grab a bottle of Old Grand Dad.

• I like it 4

I can suggest looking at the Bourbon Of The Month threads, if you are considering something to try.  Keep in mind, if the posts are several years old, there could be some changes.  There is also the Whiskey Tree.  People here have tried to pool their knowledge concerning who makes each brand and the mash bill (recipe).

For me starting out, a big learning curve was the whole range of non distiller producers (NDPs).  There are quite a few brands that don't make anything themselves, rather they purchase product from one or more of the big distilleries, and bottle it under their own label.  I sum it up as brands that are all over the place as to price and quality - buyer beware.

I'm much more a fan of bottled in bond brands, and others of known provenance.

What a nice surprise to see Squire back.

• I like it 3

Surprised no one has suggested Eagle Rare 10 yr.  90 proof Buffalo Trace product.  Or Knob Creek Small Batch.  100 proof Jim Beam product. 

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, PaulO said:

What a nice surprise to see Squire back.

I was just temporarily spirited away.

Back on topic, if the OP could make up a list of which Bourbons are easily available in his club's area I expect we all could opine more specifically.

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, squire said:

I was just temporarily spirited away.

Back on topic, if the OP could make up a list of which Bourbons are easily available in his club's area I expect we all could opine more specifically.

I’ll second that. Glad to see @squire posting as well. 

Also, @TomWoody how much are you comfortable spending?

((keep in mind that increasing cost doesn’t necessarily mean increasing quality. Often, the opposite). 

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

I would think about having a theme. Instead Of just one bottle maybe have 3. Here are some examples:

BIB - Four Roses Single Barrel, 1897 Old Forester and EH Taylor if it me easy to find or Henry McKenna

Rye Night - Rittenhouse, OF Rye, Saz if you can find or Knob Creek Rye.

Budget Bourbons - Evan Williams BIB or Black, Old Grand Dad and Very Old Barton BIB.

Like others said, vary the distilleries like I did above. You guys will have a blast!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.