We need a new Bourbon for our Club

TomWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, TomWoody said:

Great idea.  

Can anyone suggest which we compare first? 

Jim Beam BIB and Evan Williams BIB with Wild Turkey 101 is a good way to see diffences and similarities from some of the big guys, although 100 proof can be a little rough for new palates. 

If you still have some of the Blanton's, pick up a bottle of Ancient Age and do those side by side as they are the same mash bill.  The Blanton's is older and single barrel, but that can show you some of what age and location in the warehouse does.  Comparing standard Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 10 can be another good example of that.

Edited by rjg1701

9 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

In my line of work I do tastings for multiple whisk(e)y clubs in SC. Actually there are more single malt clubs than there are bourbon clubs. Most of them have everyone bring a bottle - or part of a bottle for all to try. You invariably end up with stuff that many have not had. If you do this challenge each person to do a little research about the distillery (if there is one) and the particular bottle they are bringing.  Mash bill, char level, age, warehousing, history etc. etc. As you go along your pallets will develop further and you can take the research and begin determining why you are tasting what you're tasting. Make sure you have good glassware as that definitely makes a difference. Also maybe look into picking up some water dropper bottles and put in spring water. 

I use a highball glass.  What should I be using?

11 hours ago, TomWoody said:

Best to try a few and decide for yourself what you like. A set of knockoff glencairns can be bought on amazon fairly cheaply. I like the glencairn’s bigger cousin, the Canadian whiskey glass, picture below. Feels better in my hand and I can drop a cube in it on those few occasions where I want one. White wine glasses will do in a pinch. They do a fine job focusing the nose and you can swirl the whiskey around to see its legs.

81E4CED4-893A-41D9-8E5D-80121A86D21F.jpeg

Edited by Charlutz
Tough to see it in the pic, but the glass has a solid pedestal base. I LOVE the feel of it.

I've had so many of these same questions. As someone who is trying to figure out this whole bourbon thing, this has been very educational.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:10 PM, TomWoody said:

On 5/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, Charlutz said:

Best to try a few and decide for yourself what you like. 

Pro Tip!

On 5/3/2019 at 12:10 AM, TomWoody said:

I also recommend the Glencairn Glass - It's best for nosing which is a critical component of discerning all the nuances of what you are drinking. A white wine glass also works.  You should also have available some type of water (preferably bottled spring water versus tap water). I have dropper bottles that I use for this. It is a fun exercise to nose and taste it neat then add a drop or two of water and repeat. You will be amazed at how much more aromas and flavors make themselves evident to you.  Do not get discouraged if someone gets certain flavors versus what others get. Woodford Reserve put their bourbon through a mass spectrometer and it identified 212 different flavors. This would be true of most well made whiskies, and most of us would be lucky to pull out 10 of these. 

I might get notes of tea where you get leather. Both could be completely correct. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.