Which three bottles do you save from a burning house?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While in Bardstown last weekend, I was lamenting with my dad how annoying the question of "What is your favorite bourbon?" and somewhere along the way thought this might be a less-annoying but interesting take.  Here it is:

Your house (or wherever you keep all of your whiskey) is burning.  Family, pets, photo albums, etc have all been saved - and you ONLY have time and space to grab three bottles you currently own.  Which three do you save - and why?  

Keep in mind:

1.  If you're like me, not all of your bottles are unopened (but you can grab opened or sealed bottles - your call)

2.  The premise isn't that you're never going to own another bottle (although most of us likely don't have extra coverage which would pay for our entire collections; and some bottles may not be replaceable)

I had to give this more thought than I initially expected, but here are my three (in no particular order):

Heaven Hill Select Stock - SB 2nd pick (unopened):  This is one of my favorite bottles I've ever owned, and I don't expect I'd ever be able to replace it.

George T. Stagg, 2014 (unopened):  Besides being the 'king of bourbon', this is the only unopened BTAC bottle I've got, and I refuse to pay secondary.

Elmer T. Lee, GBS pick (unopened):  This is from the first barrel I had the privilege of helping pick, so some sentimental value here.  But also one of the best sub-100 proof bourbons I've ever owned.

How about you?  

‘92 WT CGF

’02 OFBB

’05 GTS

(My old bottle of PVW15 gets left behind, only 4 fingers worth remain)

I’d probably go up in flames trying to decide which 3 to save.  :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

22 minutes ago, squire said:

This is the point where I bribe a fireman.

Good to see you back, I'm sure you would be holding some OGD in each arm like a baby.... :rolleyes:

• I like it 2

I already have my wife and 3 kids trained in a fire brigade style exercise so I don’t have to make these tough decisions .

The bottles I'd be choosing from are all in my gun safe, and I'm counting on it's fire rating to keep me from having to make that decision.

• I like it 5

You say my house or wherever I keep my whiskey is on fire.  That'd mean my house, my car, an off-site place not all my family members know about, and a vacation place all went up at once.  If that happens, I'm dead, anyway.  Except of the OGD BIB I have stashed in the shed.  I don't count that.

• I like it 6

2012 Stagg - the bourbon that set me on this path.

2013 PVW15

4RLESmB 125th.

• I like it 2

There's no way in hell I'm not getting out with more than three.... photo's be damned! 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

There's no way in hell I'm not getting out with more than three.... photo's be damned! 

Preach.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You say my house or wherever I keep my whiskey is on fire.  That'd mean my house, my car, an off-site place not all my family members know about, and a vacation place all went up at once.  If that happens, I'm dead, anyway.  Except of the OGD BIB I have stashed in the shed.  I don't count that.

You do mean the bunker under the shed, right?

• I like it 1

AH Hirsch 16 (paid $40), JPS 17 Batch 3 (paid $70), GTS 2012 (MSRP) and PVW 15 2012 (MSRP).  Going to  shove the Pappy in my pants while I run.

Edited by El Vino
Correct spelling.
  • I like it 1

WLW 2018

Abraham Bowman Sweet XVI

Blanton's SFTB (This one was bottled on the day my son was born)

• I like it 1

I have most of the amazing bottles you speak of....but I’d have to grab the Four Roses Elliott Select from 2016 ( birth year of my son, Elliott ), the 2011 WLW ( for my daughter ) and a certain big boy scotch from my birth year...those are the only sentimental bottles I own which have defined opening dates : purposes...everything else is always fair game and is slated for immediate consumption

• I like it 1

I have 3 bottles of the WLW 2017, so i’m assuming that only counts as one. 

2001 Booker’s

EC18

I have a couple of unopened BTACs,  but those won't be what I save.  I'll rescue a couple of unopened tax-stamped beauties from years ago, Wild Turkey Rye distilled in Maryland,  and Old Fitz BIB from Stitzel Weller.   Last I'll grab my last 10 year old Russell's Reserve, at the original 101 proof.

• I like it 1

Booker's 25th, 2017 WLW, 2018 GTS.  Everything else I have is more or less replaceable, at least the bourbon.  I have some wines in my cellar that would take priority over any of them...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.