New Riff. It finally happened...

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mako254 said,

"they do not consider themselves a 'craft distillery' so much as a small distillery"

I like that.

I have yet to see New Riff on a store shelf anywhere.   But when and if I do,  I am looking forward to a purchase.    Seems like their policy of not releasing young whiskey before its time is paying off, both in good will and good reviews from folks who love bourbon.   

• 4 months later...

I haven’t seen any 5 year New Riff this fall. Does anybody know what their plan is for barrels they held back?

On 11/13/2019 at 5:26 AM, CUfan99 said:

I haven’t seen any 5 year New Riff this fall. Does anybody know what their plan is for barrels they held back?

I asked about this when I was talking to JO at the Party Source. 

Not an insider by any means but he said they would be holding off until they could push out 6 y.o bourbon. 

Take it with a grain of salt.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, ABVT said:

Not an insider by any means but he said they would be holding off until they could push out 6 y.o bourbon. 

That seems the most plausible. Thanks 

I was gifted a store pick single barrel bourbon a few weeks ago. I was very pleasantly surprised by the depth of flavor of the 4-5yr old whiskey. With 30% rye in the mashbill, I expected it to be spicy, which it was. I also tasted hints of dark chocolate and butterscotch. A truly nice whiskey. I can't wait until it gets more mature. 

• I like it 4

I got to try New Riff in a flight last night when we went to dinner. I in all honesty had not heard of it but had to try it for research purposes. I found it to be a very good and easy sipper. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, Jazzhead said:

I have yet to see New Riff on a store shelf anywhere.   But when and if I do,  I am looking forward to a purchase.    Seems like their policy of not releasing young whiskey before its time is paying off, both in good will and good reviews from folks who love bourbon.   

It has at last appeared on the shelves of the Pennsy state stores,  for $39.99,  a reasonable price for "craft".     Is it good?   You betcha.  

Edited by Jazzhead

• 4 weeks later...

Complying with Bottled in Bond rules to your product is a great template for a new distillery.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Announced a few days ago they will be expanding distribution to Michigan... Very happy to grab a few of their bottles when they make it up here... Have heard great things about them 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 2:13 PM, ABVT said:

On 11/13/2019 at 5:26 AM, CUfan99 said:

That follows pretty close to what I heard from them a few years ago.  They told me that they didn't have a set plan but were not looking to release older barrels every year, ie a 5 year BIB, and wanted to build up the aged inventory to be able to release older whiskies.  At that time they said 7 or 8, but that was a few years ago and they said the plans were very loose so I could easily see them now looking at doing 6 year releases. 

I like their bourbon at 4 years, but I do not love it and at the $40+ price do not purchase it very often, however I think there is a LOT of potential in their product and look forward to the day that they do release an older variety, I just hope they don't triple the price when they do. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 1

On 5/1/2019 at 6:03 PM, smokinjoe said:

I must give credit where credit is due.  New Riff Bourbon is the first bourbon from a “craft” distillery that actually smells and tastes like a good bourbon

Having my first pour of New Riff bourbon, (compliments of galvin0791) and I must say that I too am pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. You can tell it's a little on the young side but the flavors are there and they're darn good.

I kinda hate when smokinjoe is right, he can become unbearable..... :P :D

• I like it 6

On 3/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

That follows pretty close to what I heard from them a few years ago.  They told me that they didn't have a set plan but were not looking to release older barrels every year, ie a 5 year BIB, and wanted to build up the aged inventory to be able to release older whiskies.  At that time they said 7 or 8, but that was a few years ago and they said the plans were very loose so I could easily see them now looking at doing 6 year releases. 

I like their bourbon at 4 years, but I do not love it and at the $40+ price do not purchase it very often, however I think there is a LOT of potential in their product and look forward to the day that they do release an older variety, I just hope they don't triple the price when they do. 

"40+" ?? 

I love the stuff, but wouldn't pay that much either.

We pay around $34.00 for it, which is the upper limit of what we'll spend. It's not available around here, (Baltimore area), so a friend of ours, from Kentucky,  picks it up when it goes on sale at the grocery store

23 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

"40+" ?? 

I love the stuff, but wouldn't pay that much either.

We pay around $34.00 for it, which is the upper limit of what we'll spend. It's not available around here, (Baltimore area), so a friend of ours, from Kentucky,  picks it up when it goes on sale at the grocery store

Yep, in Ohio (which is a control state so the retail price is the same everywhere)  it is $39.97 plus tax putting it about $42-44 after tax (depending what county you buy it in) for the standard New Riff Bourbon and $49.99 plus tax so $52-54 after tax for those bottles.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

On 11/24/2019 at 5:24 AM, Chefjohn said:

I got to try New Riff in a flight last night when we went to dinner. I in all honesty had not heard of it but had to try it for research purposes. I found it to be a very good and easy sipper. 

Thanks for the endorsement. The guy at a Louisville Total Wines recommended it but I passed because...well, because he was a Total Wines guy and they tend to recommend all kinds of cats and dogs. Will reconsider when there again next month.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.