What’s the Best of 2019(so far)

Limegoldconvertible68
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are closing in on the year being half over and I’m wondering what you consider to be the best new bourbon to come out this year. I’m torn between Legent and 4 Roses Small Batch Select. Darn, are they both fantastic.  Oh yeah, there’s also W.B. Saffell. Three fantastic Bourbons and the year isn’t even half over. While I lament so many of my favorites losing their age statements or worse being allocated there is still so much good bourbon out there. What’s your favorite so far this year?  

(Technically this came out in 2018).  We get stuff later in Indiana.  I'm going to say Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  It checks all the boxes: age statement, proof, NCF, tastes great, reasonable price, ...  If I want one, I know where it is.  I just go buy it, no Mickey Mouse games.

Beam, please keep making this.

Taters, stay away.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 6

Saffell was strong as elevator rope. Should have had a turkey on it. Eddie is in the zone right now. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Saffell was strong as elevator rope.

THIS is a terrific quote!!

• I like it 3

For me, the 4-R SmB Select is the clear winner so far.    I wasn't as delighted with the Legent as others may have been; but it is more reasonably priced, so there's that.

The 4-R wasn't inexpensive for a 6-year+ Bourbon; but it is full-flavored, and the fact that it's NCF and over 100-proof helps a bit.

Last year's (or was it released in '17?) Early Times BIB is a fave for me for it's profile, as well as for the value at under $25 for a liter bottle.    Of course one needs to a fan of the BF style to really like it, I guess; and, I am.

I think it came out in 2018 but I didn't get a bottle until recently (thanks to a fellow SB'er) of Ezra Brooks 7 y.o BP.  Another one that ranks high to me (although I bought it last year and just opened it this year) is my current bottle of RY 10 SiB.  As with all SB bourbons there are variations in taste profile but this particular bottle is probably one of my favorite pours EVER!

While not a bourbon I was very impressed with the Old Forester Rye. 

• I like it 4

The ECBP 2019 edition at least to me continues in the tradition. I have tried 2017,2018 and 2019 they are all consistently good. 

I trust my man Mako on Saffell even though I haven’t tried it yet. 

With questions like these though we do need to clarify if all releases are eligible or if we are talking about permanent lineup additions. 

If anything goes then the answer will almost always end up being a limited release of some kind that half of us can’t get. 

• I like it 1

The JB Distiller's Cut is superb,  but even better (for the price) is the JB Double Oak which the Pennsy State Stores have marked down to $16.99!     That's sippin' whiskey for a steal!  

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Haven't tried anything new this year.  Ah, bourbon zen.

My first thought was 'Sh!t - have I even tried anything that was new this year?'  As I hadn't bought much.

I'd also go with the Old Forester Rye as my favorite 'new in 2019', although I haven't spent time with FRSmBS (is that the right abbreviation for the new Small Batch Select?)  I did try it in Bardstown and didn't hate it.  But didn't love it at $55 (although I keep thinking of the private single barrels I've gotten for that price, which isn't fair - but life ain't fair).

Hands down, the OF rye! 

It doesn't hurt that my current market price is down to $18.99, but more importantly... the shelves are full!

Alas, the year is still young. 

• I like it 2

I have to echo the support for OF Rye... It's got the nose, the flavor, the proof, and the price... Checks all the boxes for me!

Haven't really had anything else that's new for 2019 yet.

Piling on: OF Rye is the clear lead imo for this year, so far. 

• I like it 1

Hobbling along without any 2019 releases; but am really enjoying some 2018 releases that have been opened this year. So far I have not had anything better than the LS Maker's Select & in two separate, blind tastings, it has come out on top. Whoda thunk it???

I don't think it's even a contest so far.  New product of the year so far is Old Forester rye

• I like it 1

I think it's a telling fact for the state of bourbon in 2019 that the OP asks for the best bourbon of the year so far and the majority of answers are for a rye.

Hmmmmmm........

• I like it 6

We only started getting the newest Rare Breed this year, so I'm going with that so far! Old Forester Rye is here but only in £50 form which seems too much.

I don't know when it came out but since I tried it for the first time this year I'm going with New Riff.

Best new bourbon for me would be the Four Roses Small Batch Select so far......

• I like it 2

I was easily manipulated by the consensus presented here and bought a liter of OF rye for $19. It is good indeed. has some depth and smoothness. Easy sipper.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, flahute said:

I trust my man Mako on Saffell even though I haven’t tried it yet. 

x2. I had to ask my store about it. Luckily Distributor had a few cases left. Will be picking up this weekend. This may be my first buy, open, try, and then decide how many more I need. 

1 hour ago, Oli77 said:

I was easily manipulated by the consensus presented here and bought a liter of OF rye for $19. It is good indeed. has some depth and smoothness. Easy sipper.

We're not only enthusiasts, we also pride ourselves on being first class, bona fide enablers!  :D

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.