What’s the Best of 2019(so far)

Limegoldconvertible68
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

We're not only enthusiasts, we also pride ourselves on being first class, bona fide enablers!  :D

Fact based statement

• I like it 1

Thank you all for the recommendation of the Old Forester Rye.  This rye was excellent (especially at that price point) 

Saffell was strong as elevator rope. Should have had a turkey on it. Eddie is in the zone right now. 

This is really good bourbon, feel like I should downvote based on the $40+ price point. That being said OF rye should receive an upvote based on the $20 liter price.

I’d say it’s one of these two.

24 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

This is really good bourbon, feel like I should downvote based on the $40+ price point. That being said OF rye should receive an upvote based on the $20 liter price.

I’d say it’s one of these two.

Of note: $45ish for only a 375. Unless I WAY over paid in Kentucky 

Of note: $45ish for only a 375. Unless I WAY over paid in Kentucky 

I think suggested retail is $50, and I think I paid closer to $45 than $40. You did fine.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I think suggested retail is $50, and I think I paid closer to $45 than $40. You did fine.

So $100 for a 750 ml. While I really like the Saffell, when comparing to the $20 OF Rye it's an easy decision for me. 

• I like it 3

Anyone try Rebel Yell 100 yet? If it's aged a little longer than 80 and bottled at 100 I may just have to try it if I ever see it.  I'm not really a fan of low proof wheated bourbons but 100 proof is when they start to be interesting.

Edited by BrokeCal

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, Oli77 said:

I was easily manipulated by the consensus presented here and bought a liter of OF rye for $19. It is good indeed. has some depth and smoothness. Easy sipper.

I only found one place that had it in the area, and he wanted $45.  Probably because he is the only one that has it.   Other places far away have it for $25

Edited by BourbonGuy

8 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

Anyone try Rebel Yell 100 yet? If it's aged a little longer than 80 and bottled at 100 I may just have to try it if I ever see it.  I'm not really a fan of low proof wheated bourbons but 100 proof is when they start to be interesting.

Haven't seen in Oklahoma yet but I'll def grab one when I see it. Enjoy the RY10 (though don't love the more recent prices)

14 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

Maybe I need an education but when I see Rebel Yell all I can think of is the incredibly horrible whiskey we drank back in high school in the 80s that cost $5 (maybe less) for a 375.  It might have been bourbon but we were too dumb to know the difference back then.  This can't be the same stuff or come from the same distiller, can it?

• I like it 1

Maybe I need an education but when I see Rebel Yell all I can think of is the incredibly horrible whiskey we drank back in high school in the 80s that cost $5 (maybe less) for a 375.  It might have been bourbon but we were too dumb to know the difference back then.  This can't be the same stuff or come from the same distiller, can it?

It is not the same stuff from the 80s. It’s currently produced by LuxRow, and most likely sourced from Heaven Hill. The basic Rebel Yell is just OK, but the 10yr Single Barrel is very good.

For me:

Best of 2018 - Blaum Bros Knotter Bourbon (MGP Sourced); Jack Daniel Single Barrel Barrel Proof (had three store picks, one was just epic)

Best of 2019 thus far - WB Saffell so far has impressed the most.  Huge flavors, great mouthfeel, nice finish.  Costly yes, but really really good.  As others have said OF Rye has been fantastic as well.

2 hours ago, pyro273 said:

Weeeeellllll....”Back in the 80’s” meant in the deepest depths of the abyss of the bourbon glut.  Sooooo.....there is certainly a possibility that RY had been sitting there for a while.  Which meeeeeeeans......since we have seen purchases of several Stitzel-Weller distilled RYs as recently as a few years ago...Thaaaaaat RY might have been extra-aged S-W....

Maybe, an example of, Youth is wasted on the young!   :D

• I like it 2

The Early Times Bottled in Bond just hit SC this week. I know it was released in KY last year but it is now new to other states (although I don't know which ones). At about $24 for a liter it is a helluva deal. High corn content gives it a nice caramel corn - sorghum flavor.  Pretty cool retro label too. Screw cap though.

I Highly recommend it

Image result for Early Times Bottled in Bond

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

The Early Times Bottled in Bond just hit SC this week. I know it was released in KY last year but it is now new to other states (although I don't know which ones). At about $24 for a liter it is a helluva deal. High corn content gives it a nice caramel corn - sorghum flavor.  Pretty cool retro label too. Screw cap though.

I Highly recommend it

Image result for Early Times Bottled in Bond

If it just was released in SC, that is great news, since I get there much more than I get to KY.  I agree with you, it’s a really good whiskey at a great value.  On my short list of best new release of the last couple years.  

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Weeeeellllll....”Back in the 80’s” meant in the deepest depths of the abyss of the bourbon glut.  Sooooo.....there is certainly a possibility that RY had been sitting there for a while.  Which meeeeeeeans......since we have seen purchases of several Stitzel-Weller distilled RYs as recently as a few years ago...Thaaaaaat RY might have been extra-aged S-W....

Maybe, an example of, Youth is wasted on the young!   :D

You mean we might have been drinking high quality bourbon and didn't even know it?  Wow, even more depressing...  But I do remember thinking how awful that stuff was; of course I also thought JD was the epitome of whiskey back then as well so what the hell did I really know.

• I like it 3

26 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

You mean we might have been drinking high quality bourbon and didn't even know it?  Wow, even more depressing...  But I do remember thinking how awful that stuff was; of course I also thought JD was the epitome of whiskey back then as well so what the hell did I really know.

We all have been there in one way or another!  :D

On 5/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, Oli77 said:

I was easily manipulated by the consensus presented here and bought a liter of OF rye for $19. It is good indeed. has some depth and smoothness. Easy sipper.

I was also manipulated! Just picked one up for $25. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, pyro273 said:

In the early 80's Rebel Yell was made at Stizel Weller before it was sold off early in the decade, it has since been contract distilled by Heaven Hill for Luxco (formerly David Sherman).  It would be interesting to know how you would feel about that Rebel Yell if you drank it today.  

11 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

In the early 80's Rebel Yell was made at Stizel Weller before it was sold off early in the decade, it has since been contract distilled by Heaven Hill for Luxco (formerly David Sherman).  It would be interesting to know how you would feel about that Rebel Yell if you drank it today.  

As an underage drinker way back in the day, (early 1970’s) my very first dalliances with the wonderful “brown liquid” were  Rebel Yell and Yellowstone Mellow Mash bourbons. Ahhh, if I only knew then what I know now.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Guess I am going to have to go find out!!

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ahhh, if I only knew then what I know now.

Ahhh, in oh so many things!!!   ?

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

Guess I am going to have to go find out!!

I'd pass on the current 80 proof version to me it is passable at best, the rest of the line I would say is worth a look, looking forward to the new 100 proofer hitting the market. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.