Jump to content
Syncnite

Bourbon Plus Oak Chips

Recommended Posts

Syncnite

Bourbon must be aged in new charred oak casks. But can it also be treated with oak chips immediately before filtering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wadewood

there is a section of TTB code on labeling regarding whiskey that has contact with wood other than an oak barrel.  In the TTB BAM it is found in Ch. 1 section 8.

8. TREATMENT WITH WOOD · DISCLOSURE “COLORED AND FLAVORED WITH WOOD _________” (insert chips, slabs, extracts, etc., as appropriate) is required on labels to indicate treatment with wood · APPLICATION Applies only to whisky and brandy treated – other than through contact with oak containers – with wood: In any manner or form, either directly or indirectly, e.g., chips, slabs, extracts, etc.  At any point during the production or storage process, up to and including the time of bottling   

It also specifies this appears on the front label.  It's very specific about the language used.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
1 hour ago, wadewood said:

there is a section of TTB code on labeling regarding whiskey that has contact with wood other than an oak barrel.  In the TTB BAM it is found in Ch. 1 section 8.

8. TREATMENT WITH WOOD · DISCLOSURE “COLORED AND FLAVORED WITH WOOD _________” (insert chips, slabs, extracts, etc., as appropriate) is required on labels to indicate treatment with wood · APPLICATION Applies only to whisky and brandy treated – other than through contact with oak containers – with wood: In any manner or form, either directly or indirectly, e.g., chips, slabs, extracts, etc.  At any point during the production or storage process, up to and including the time of bottling   

It also specifies this appears on the front label.  It's very specific about the language used.
 

What is interesting is that this specific language does not appear on the front of Makers Private Select. It just says “barrel finished with oak staves”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wadewood
14 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

What is interesting is that this specific language does not appear on the front of Makers Private Select. It just says “barrel finished with oak staves”

class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

This brand pushes the term "FINISHED" to an entirely different level.

 

In some of the more recent photos, their BOURBON & VINE HANDCRAFTED WHISKEY has been changed to WHISKEY & VINE FINISHED WHISKEY. Surprised that they're not required to carry a "choking hazard" warning.

 

512020913_ScreenShot2019-05-09at10_02_29AM.thumb.png.690adc47e88939b1925b5fb6a88eebd7.png

544965198_OakEdenCabernetSteepedBourbon.thumb.jpeg.cfec52f1218163267b0d11f6d0d4cbc3.jpeg

790472661_OakEdenBourbonSpire.thumb.jpeg.b0759e1be268945cd28af6bc4e334210.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1

That regulation deals with coloring or flavoring a spirit, not aging or finishing it. It is to prevent a manufacturer from coloring or flavoring a neutral spirit without stating that it did so. MM is not in violation of this code. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbutler
5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This brand pushes the term "FINISHED" to an entirely different level.

 

In some of the more recent photos, their BOURBON & VINE HANDCRAFTED WHISKEY has been changed to WHISKEY & VINE FINISHED WHISKEY. Surprised that they're not required to carry a "choking hazard" warning.

 

 

 

If you eat the wood when you finish the bottle ... will you hallucinate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
10 minutes ago, jbutler said:

If you eat the wood when you finish the bottle ... will you hallucinate? 

I know I did indeed hallucinate, Boss!     I had the vision of experiencing a really good Bourbon, and it was very satisfying... then I woke up.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

OMG! Dejá vu all over again. :blink:

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

That regulation deals with coloring or flavoring a spirit, not aging or finishing it. It is to prevent a manufacturer from coloring or flavoring a neutral spirit without stating that it did so. MM is not in violation of this code

 

I don’t think I agree with that statement. MM is adding those staves specifically to flavor the matured whiskey. I mean, they even say on the back label that the different staves add different flavors. These staves clearly are a wood treatment, and they aren’t the wood container, as they are added inside the existing barrel. Also if you read the regulations there is nothing that says anything about this being for neutral spirits, but it specifically says it does apply to whisky. 

 

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter1.pdf

 

C272D2F3-0635-4573-BDA5-FEBC61DC48E8.png

DFCFFBFB-D0EE-4EDC-9EC5-9F9ECFB04A56.jpeg

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...