Bourbon Plus Oak Chips

Syncnite
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon must be aged in new charred oak casks. But can it also be treated with oak chips immediately before filtering?

there is a section of TTB code on labeling regarding whiskey that has contact with wood other than an oak barrel.  In the TTB BAM it is found in Ch. 1 section 8.

8. TREATMENT WITH WOOD · DISCLOSURE “COLORED AND FLAVORED WITH WOOD _________” (insert chips, slabs, extracts, etc., as appropriate) is required on labels to indicate treatment with wood · APPLICATION Applies only to whisky and brandy treated – other than through contact with oak containers – with wood: In any manner or form, either directly or indirectly, e.g., chips, slabs, extracts, etc.  At any point during the production or storage process, up to and including the time of bottling   

It also specifies this appears on the front label.  It's very specific about the language used.

1 hour ago, wadewood said:

there is a section of TTB code on labeling regarding whiskey that has contact with wood other than an oak barrel.  In the TTB BAM it is found in Ch. 1 section 8.

8. TREATMENT WITH WOOD · DISCLOSURE “COLORED AND FLAVORED WITH WOOD _________” (insert chips, slabs, extracts, etc., as appropriate) is required on labels to indicate treatment with wood · APPLICATION Applies only to whisky and brandy treated – other than through contact with oak containers – with wood: In any manner or form, either directly or indirectly, e.g., chips, slabs, extracts, etc.  At any point during the production or storage process, up to and including the time of bottling   

It also specifies this appears on the front label.  It's very specific about the language used.

What is interesting is that this specific language does not appear on the front of Makers Private Select. It just says “barrel finished with oak staves”

14 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

What is interesting is that this specific language does not appear on the front of Makers Private Select. It just says “barrel finished with oak staves”

class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

This brand pushes the term "FINISHED" to an entirely different level.

In some of the more recent photos, their BOURBON & VINE HANDCRAFTED WHISKEY has been changed to WHISKEY & VINE FINISHED WHISKEY. Surprised that they're not required to carry a "choking hazard" warning.

512020913_ScreenShot2019-05-09at10_02_29AM.thumb.png.690adc47e88939b1925b5fb6a88eebd7.png

544965198_OakEdenCabernetSteepedBourbon.thumb.jpeg.cfec52f1218163267b0d11f6d0d4cbc3.jpeg

790472661_OakEdenBourbonSpire.thumb.jpeg.b0759e1be268945cd28af6bc4e334210.jpeg

That regulation deals with coloring or flavoring a spirit, not aging or finishing it. It is to prevent a manufacturer from coloring or flavoring a neutral spirit without stating that it did so. MM is not in violation of this code. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This brand pushes the term "FINISHED" to an entirely different level.

In some of the more recent photos, their BOURBON & VINE HANDCRAFTED WHISKEY has been changed to WHISKEY & VINE FINISHED WHISKEY. Surprised that they're not required to carry a "choking hazard" warning.

If you eat the wood when you finish the bottle ... will you hallucinate? 

10 minutes ago, jbutler said:

If you eat the wood when you finish the bottle ... will you hallucinate? 

I know I did indeed hallucinate, Boss!     I had the vision of experiencing a really good Bourbon, and it was very satisfying... then I woke up.

• I like it 1

OMG! Dejá vu all over again. :blink:

Biba! Joe

8 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

That regulation deals with coloring or flavoring a spirit, not aging or finishing it. It is to prevent a manufacturer from coloring or flavoring a neutral spirit without stating that it did so. MM is not in violation of this code

I don’t think I agree with that statement. MM is adding those staves specifically to flavor the matured whiskey. I mean, they even say on the back label that the different staves add different flavors. These staves clearly are a wood treatment, and they aren’t the wood container, as they are added inside the existing barrel. Also if you read the regulations there is nothing that says anything about this being for neutral spirits, but it specifically says it does apply to whisky. 

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter1.pdf

C272D2F3-0635-4573-BDA5-FEBC61DC48E8.png

DFCFFBFB-D0EE-4EDC-9EC5-9F9ECFB04A56.jpeg

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.