Firefly Distillery Expressions Bourbon

pouringwhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My parents just returned from a vacation in Harbor Island, SC. They brought me this back as a gift, but I cannot seem to find much information on it besides on their website. I tried a small glass while at my parents and had very low expectations based off of my previous experience with craft bourbons, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not great at tasting notes, nor did I have proper tasting per se, but it is something I would gladly drink (though I wouldn't be opposed to a higher proof).

Quality aside, the label raised a few questions that I wish I would have been at the distillery to ask. First, (hard to see in the picture) it says 'a blend of straight bourbon whiskies'. Second, instead of saying 'distilled in' it says 'bottled in Wadmalaw Island, South Carolina'. The description on the website seems to suggest it was aged there, but never actually says it was distilled there (though it does say our bourbon):

Aging our bourbon for 5 years in aging-houses located in the humid Maritime Forest of South Carolina- where the days are hotter than hot and the nights a little cooler- provides for rapid temperature fluctuations which produce a greater number of ‘honey barrels’ than normal. Two of these coveted honey barrels are selected by our Master Distillers to produce each batch. Bottled 90 proof in cork-finished 375ml.

Has anyone tried this or happen to have any more information on it? If all else fails I am making a trip to the area in the fall, so I can get my answers then. Any input is appreciated!

Firefly.jpg

There is a tie-in between Firefly and Sazerac, and some previous flavored bourbon products like the sweet tea/bourbon one had Buffalo Trace as the whiskey component.  I would guess that BT would be best guess for the distillate in this.  

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

There is a tie-in between Firefly and Sazerac, and some previous flavored bourbon products like the sweet tea/bourbon one had Buffalo Trace as the whiskey component.  I would guess that BT would be best guess for the distillate in this.  

Hmm... that is interesting. I did see that their rum was aged in ex-BT barrels. Maybe I will try it side-by-side with BT this evening and compare the two. Thanks! 

If they don't specifically state they distilled it then they didn't.  That's not necessarily a negative, depending on where they sourced it and how they treated it, it's only a negative if they pretend to have made it because that calls into question their character.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, squire said:

If they don't specifically state they distilled it then they didn't.  That's not necessarily a negative, depending on where they sourced it and how they treated it, it's only a negative if they pretend to have made it because that calls into question their character.  

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like they have some social media links on their site, I may try to reach out and get some answers! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.