Heritage Grains in Bourbon

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

32 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

A craft distiller in S Carolina is using a heritage corn variety to good effect in his whiskey.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/high-wire-distillery-in-charleston-south-carolina-thinks-the-future-of-bourbon-is-heritage-grains?ref=scroll

Good maybe, but not great. High Wire also makes (or made at one time) a Rhum Agricole using local cane-- so they are very terroir focused.

IMG_8951.thumb.jpg.a49994784e0d50c38e456971fc2f7ff1.jpg

I liked their Sorghum Whiskey (which is also agricole style) enough to purchase a second bottle.  Pricey but unique. 

Do you know how to drink unique bourbon? 

Honestly, I’d be more interested in trying the white dog, than I would the aged version.  

I wonder if this is the idea others were pursuing. Jeptha creed with their bloody butcher corn or the Bluegrass Distillery in Lexington which uses blue corn in some of their product. Their wheated bourbon, I thought was awful.

8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

A craft distiller in S Carolina is using a heritage corn variety to good effect in his whiskey.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/high-wire-distillery-in-charleston-south-carolina-thinks-the-future-of-bourbon-is-heritage-grains?ref=scroll

Being a proud South Carolinian I really want to try this. However, I’m also a proud tight wad so the $100 a 750 has prevented me from experiencing this marvel. Maybe some day. 

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, Guss West said:

Do you know how to drink unique bourbon? 

Yes, you neek up on it.

But how do you drink a tame bourbon?

Tame way.  You nique up on it!!  Ugh, I've turned into my Dad. 

I also grew up watching IAWL all thru my childhood.  Don, can I pour you a drink? 

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:42 PM, CUfan99 said:

Being a proud South Carolinian I really want to try this. However, I’m also a proud tight wad so the $100 a 750 has prevented me from experiencing this marvel. Maybe some day. 

I'll be driving through Anderson on my way to Raleigh at some point soon-- I can always drop off a sample or two. I also have their Southern Amaro, which was rather ambitious.

16 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I also have their Southern Amaro, which was rather ambitious.

Oh, man. This reminds me of a guy I know that will something enthusiastically like "you really went for it there!" or something similar when trying to affirm the effort without commenting on the quality. Haha!

14 hours ago, Guss West said:

Tame way.  You nique up on it!!  Ugh, I've turned into my Dad. 

I also grew up watching IAWL all thru my childhood.  Don, can I pour you a drink? 

I don't know if you can, but you certainly may.  *aahhhrrr* (in Pee Wee Herman voice).

This is bringing back a lot of fond memories watching Pee Wee's Playhouse with my granddaughter, so I owe you a healthy pour as well.

Well, that is until someone says; "That does it! Out you two pixies go, through the door or out the window'.

Edited by Don Birnam

On 5/15/2019 at 6:16 PM, Marekv8 said:

I'll be driving through Anderson on my way to Raleigh at some point soon-- I can always drop off a sample or two. I also have their Southern Amaro, which was rather ambitious.

I totally missed this post somehow. Did I miss you?

10 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I totally missed this post somehow. Did I miss you?

Nope-- I'm still a few weeks out. This stuff is extremely (and pleasantly) aromatic.

IMG_1404.thumb.jpg.65c3bd654bbe4dde995546f7b3143f49.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.