Cahttanooga Whiskey Co. 1816 Reserve and Cask Strength?

GeeTen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went into Mac's Liquors near Georgia Tech this afternoon and saw these two (2) bottles on the shelf:

20190516_143956.jpg

Looks like there's a third expression (No. 9), too - more $$$, tho'.  Anybody know about this stuff?  Is it any good?  Inquiring minds want to know, please!   ?

Edited by GeeTen

Frank, I’ve got a bottle of the cask strength, but I haven’t opened it yet. I’ve heard it’s decent stuff. It is sourced bourbon, and they do some finishing on some newer products too. Give the cask strength a go, it’s not going to break the bank.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

The cask is 6ish yr MGP stock

I'd be a buyer at that price, some of the Backbone Uncut bottles were similarly spec'd and priced here and I like those plenty.

Had a pour of the cask strength with a swimming buddy last night at the Livingston Restaurant + Bar in Midtown Atlanta (near the historic Fox theater).  Very nice nose with some caramel on the first taste.  Kinda' short on the finish, but not much oak or burn (if any) on the way down.  A very satisfying dram for relatively short money (these days!).  Might have to buy a bottle and give it a thorough trial during our officials' "de-briefings" this week.   ?

And yes, I do know how to spell "Chattanooga" - just can't write on my phone so good.  If turtles had fingers, that's what mine would look like, eh?  ?

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Went into Mac's Liquors near Georgia Tech this afternoon and saw these two (2) bottles on the shelf:

20190516_143956.jpg

Looks like there's a third expression (No. 9), too - more $$$, tho'.  Anybody know about this stuff?  Is it any good?  Inquiring minds want to know, please!   ?

At the right price they're decent whiskeys. Those prices look good. I was in Mac's last year looking for something to share with friends attending the same meeting. Settled for a HMcK10 pre-tater, but had to think long and hard before paying $32....which at the time was the most I'd paid for that. :) Our son will probably go to G-TECH so I'll be seeing more of Mac.

Edited by FacePlant
  • I like it 2

The cask strength stuff is good. I have several bottles in my bunker. They also for a while released some cask strength single barrels with a light grey label, but I don't know if they are still available. It's been a while since I saw one of those, but the standard cask strength one like is pictured is a nice pour.

• 2 months later...

Saw the single barrel yesterday. Read where its supposed to be 10 yrs old. Anyone know if the single barrel is MGP or Chattanoogas own?

edit.. confirmed MGP 8-10 

Edited by FasterHorses

I saw the cask strength like the black label pictured above at a store a while back and was excited thinking it was 6 year old MGP. However I was disappointed after looking closely at the label. It was much younger but I can’t remember how young. What am I missing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.