Orlando FL rum stops?

gurgalunas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and kids are dragging me to Disney later this week.  Figured I might escape at some point, and would like to shop rums.  We dont have much of a selection in Kansas City, and I'd rather bring back a Doorly's than Mouse Ears...

I'm not looking to pry into anyone's honey-hole, but I'd appreciate any suggestion on a couple locations that may have decent selection?  

2 hours ago, jwperry said:

Where are you staying?

On Disney, the Contemporary.  Plan to Uber out though.  Heard the buying of souvenirs is much better off site...

9 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Heard the buying of souvenirs is much better off site...

Absolutely.

Do you plan on hitting any other attractions/shopping in the area other than on Disney property? One of our local jokes is that Orlando is an hour away from Orlando; traffic is atrocious especially around the Attractions area. I don't want to recommend a bunch of shops that aren't going to be convenient or hopefully yield what you're after. And be advised, you'll probably pay a $20+ premium just because you're in a tourist trap. 

What specific rums are you after-- official bottlings or independent releases from Velier, Blackadder,  Samaroli, BB&R, Rhumb Runner, etc.?

3 hours ago, jwperry said:

Absolutely.

Do you plan on hitting any other attractions/shopping in the area other than on Disney property? One of our local jokes is that Orlando is an hour away from Orlando; traffic is atrocious especially around the Attractions area. I don't want to recommend a bunch of shops that aren't going to be convenient or hopefully yield what you're after. And be advised, you'll probably pay a $20+ premium just because you're in a tourist trap. 

We plan to go to universal too, but no other parks planned.  I'm ok with a little premium, but wont go crazy big on $...

I did look on google maps and found ABCs and TW.  There was another, Universal Liquor(?), that looked closest. 

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

What specific rums are you after-- official bottlings or independent releases from Velier, Blackadder,  Samaroli, BB&R, Rhumb Runner, etc.?

Interested in a variety of things.  We get 4Square Ex Cask series and Real McCoy here, but none of the Doorlys, Seale's, or other 4S brands.  The independents are definitely of interest, budget allowing.  Never tried any you listed, but all are on my shopping list.  

57 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

We plan to go to universal too, but no other parks planned.  I'm ok with a little premium, but wont go crazy big on $...

I did look on google maps and found ABCs and TW.  There was another, Universal Liquor(?), that looked closest. 

Interested in a variety of things.  We get 4Square Ex Cask series and Real McCoy here, but none of the Doorlys, Seale's, or other 4S brands.  The independents are definitely of interest, budget allowing.  Never tried any you listed, but all are on my shopping list.  

Total Wine will be your best bet for Foursquare products-- the entire Doorly's line-up and R.L. Seale's 10yo should be there. They typically carry a few of the younger BB&R bottlings as well. I bumped into a dusty discounted Clément Teardrop at a TW near Tacoma last year, so mostly likely worth a look.

If you go to Universal-- bring a flask of the Foursquare Spiced Rum to spike your Butterbeer-- it's one of the best high-calorie combos ever.

Make sure your flask has no metal and carry it on you, they won't let it in the park if it sets off a metal detector or carried in a backpack.

TW at Millennia is kind of a let down IMO. Rum, bourbon and Scotch all on the same aisle...and it is like a half aisle. I don't remember seeing any 4S. My Rum tastes are low shelf; I like Cruzan and Oak & Cane, but I think the ABC right outside Disney near Palm PKWY has about the same rum selection as TW Millennia. Find a Publix liquor and pick up a bottle of the Oak & Cane rum $31+tax for a Florida sourced, Florida distilled, Florida aged rum.

I think the best overall store is the ABC on Orange Ave, just south of downtown. Lots of small shops all around, but they all pretty much have the same "I'm on vacation making daiquiris" type rums.

I wasn't rum hunting last time I went through Universal liquors near the Rosen Hotel on Universal Blvd, but they had a decent whiskey selection and if memory serves me right, an ok Rum one too.

The Walgreens on Kirkman/Conroy just north of Universal Studios is a mild gem for finds. They seem to get hard to find stuff fairly regularly and sell it at MSRP. Be advised, there's a Walgreens on Kirkman/Major right outside Universal that does not have a liquor store, you need to go over the bridge.

Happy hunting.

• I like it 1

Like @Marekv8 said TW is your only choice for Doorly's, Seale's and Foursquare Spiced, I would suggest going to Totalwine.com and picking the Orlando area stores to see what they have in stock, you could speed things up by ordering in advance. Looks like the Colonial Plaza store in Orlando has the 4S stuff your looking for and 4 different Berry's Rum bottles Barbados, Greneda and two from Fiji. The Millenia Plaza store has the same but only 1 Berry's Rum a 9 year from Fiji. A couple other interesting (to me) bottles in stock at the Colonial plaza store St. Lucia Chairman's Reserve $99 & Mount Gay Origins 2x375  $85

• I like it 1

Grab the BB&R Fiji 9 and the Mount Gay "The Copper Stills" twin-pack…

IMG_1400.thumb.jpg.1d5d429f462523abe276215a9ccbb35d.jpg

• I like it 3

Well we are leaving Orlando today.  I got up and took Uber to TW this morning.  Had some deadlines for checkout, so I chose not to go all the way to the Colonial plaza location- there were some accidents and delays that made it even farther than normal.  The Millenia location had all the basic bottles I was looking for, plus the Berry's Fiji 9.  Would loved to have found more of the unique bottles, but my shopping never fit the schedule, and with no vehicle,  was troublesome to really hunt...

I did look into Instacart delivery.  It would have been easy and cheap, but none of the uncommon bottles were offered on their shopping list.  I didnt trust a drivers note to get specific bottles I was looking for...

Thanks everyone who chimed in with info.  Don't hesitate to hit me up if you ever find yourself thirsty in Kansas City.

Oh, I ended up with 2x Seale's 10 yr, 2x Doorly's 12 yr, a Doorly's 8, a Doorly's spiced, a Berry's Fiji 9, and a Cockspur 12.  The duplicates will go to a LS manager who is a rum junky too.  

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Well we are leaving Orlando today.  I got up and took Uber to TW this morning.  Had some deadlines for checkout, so I chose not to go all the way to the Colonial plaza location- there were some accidents and delays that made it even farther than normal.  The Millenia location had all the basic bottles I was looking for, plus the Berry's Fiji 9.  Would loved to have found more of the unique bottles, but my shopping never fit the schedule, and with no vehicle,  was troublesome to really hunt...

I did look into Instacart delivery.  It would have been easy and cheap, but none of the uncommon bottles were offered on their shopping list.  I didnt trust a drivers note to get specific bottles I was looking for...

Thanks everyone who chimed in with info.  Don't hesitate to hit me up if you ever find yourself thirsty in Kansas City.

Oh, I ended up with 2x Seale's 10 yr, 2x Doorly's 12 yr, a Doorly's 8, a Doorly's spiced, a Berry's Fiji 9, and a Cockspur 12.  The duplicates will go to a LS manager who is a rum junky too.  

It reads like your liver is going to need an embargo on spirits for a while.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.