Baker's 13 Year Single Barrel Bourbon

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I’m just trying to imagine what they’ll want to charge for this....... I mean, the last two Booker’s LEs and the last two KC LEs have been pretty spendy. Given their recent pricing decisions I’m sure this won’t be any less than $150, and if that is the case I’ll have to hear lots of glowing reviews before even considering it

15 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m just trying to imagine what they’ll want to charge for this....... I mean, the last two Booker’s LEs and the last two KC LEs have been pretty spendy. Given their recent pricing decisions I’m sure this won’t be any less than $150, and if that is the case I’ll have to hear lots of glowing reviews before even considering it

Yep. 

Baker’s at 13 yrs old sounds amazing to me but as you pointed out Beam has been among the worst at pricing when introducing products like this. 

I wonder how a 13 year old Baker's would compare to a 13 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel?  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I wonder how a 13 year old Baker's would compare to a 13 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel?  

With this coming out there may be fewer 13+ year old KC SiB releases in the future...

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

With this coming out there may be fewer 13+ year old KC SiB releases in the future...

This new Baker's is single barrel. Since Bakers and KC have different profiles, I would be surprised if barrels designated for KC would be redirected to Bakers. I could very well be wrong, though. 

I’m in a weird spot with this release.  Baker’s is my favorite Beam offering.  And, I am of the opinion that Beam whiskies shine best at ~7 yrs and, have thought that Beams lose their juiciness and heft when they get much above that. For instance, I’ve really not been a fan of the plethora of 13-15ish year KCSB releases that I have tried.  Though, I did have one recently that I enjoyed.  As Whammie pointed out the different profiles of KC and Baker’s above, I am wondering which way this one will go.  I’m hoping thick and juicy Baker’s.  Regardless, if it’s priced in my comfort zone, I’ll buy it.

Most likely, I’ll jump past my comfort zone because I have little self control...  :D

• I like it 5

Hmm . . . like Joe I'm interested, but hoping this isn't too oaky for my taste buddies.  I'd rather see some 7 yr, barrel proof Bakers.  But once again - they never asked me.  I mean . . . really . . . when is the last time they even called?  I'm beginning to think this relationship is pretty one-way . . .

• I like it 5

definitely interested but I'm guessing availability will be tough in an ABC state.

I thought Baker's was made using a different yeast from other Beam products? If that is the case, it would seem that Baker's barrels would not be interchangeable with Knob Creek barrels, but I can't remember where I read that and could easily be wrong.

If it has the availability and price of a KC LE I'll probably cave, hope there is a profile similarity to regular Baker's.

7 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I thought Baker's was made using a different yeast from other Beam products? If that is the case, it would seem that Baker's barrels would not be interchangeable with Knob Creek barrels, but I can't remember where I read that and could easily be wrong.

I seem to recall hearing that distillate intended for Baker's Brand was also taken off the still at a lower proof and barreled at a lower proof than other Beam products.   

I can't recall when or where I came by this info; but, it has been a while since I thought about it, and it MAY have been something I heard (at the distillery or visitor's center? at a seminar?) rather than read.   Also, it's been a long time since I came by this... maybe 7+ years?   

Anybody ever heard or read something along these lines?   Col. Cowdery?

32 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I know that the Old Grand Dad line that has/had a different yeast than standard Beam products.  Not sure that is correct at this time.  I am not aware of Baker’s having a different yeast.  

Now realizing that there are a lot of holes in my/our understanding of Beam whiskey specs, I would love a clean up of this by knowledgeable Beam folk.  

• I like it 1

It's always been my understanding that all Beam bourbons with the exception of OGD and BH were the same mashbill.

P.S. - I'm not a knowledgeable Beam folk but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once

• I like it 4

I'm betting that the price on this one ends up making the current Booker's (and KCSB;)) pricing look like a bargain! 

Easy pass, for me...

37 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'm betting that the price on this one ends up making the current Booker's (and KCSB;)) pricing look like a bargain! 

Easy pass, for me...

Unfortunately I agree with you, Paddy. I feel they'll use that age statement to push it to $125+. I have no basis for that number, it's just a gut feeling. I often get friends asking recommendations for a bottle around $100 to gift. Suntory, Campari, BF, Saz, etc also know the desire is there, so stuff like this is created to meet that desire. 

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I know that the Old Grand Dad line that has/had a different yeast than standard Beam products.  Not sure that is correct at this time.  I am not aware of Baker’s having a different yeast.  

Now realizing that there are a lot of holes in my/our understanding of Beam whiskey specs, I would love a clean up of this by knowledgeable Beam folk.  

SBs archives are awesome.  Chuck again, with some really good info on Beam.

• I like it 5

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks for digging this up, it explains a lot about the profile differences!

This is awesome. I thought I read something that for Booker’s/Bakers and Knob Creek that they do separate batches which use less of the previous batches mash (forgot the term for this) in the brew vs regular JB batches? I don’t recall where I read this and I’m sure the source wasn’t as reputable as Cowdery. Considering Cowdery doesn’t mention it I likely misread it.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It is cool some of the older stuff that can be found. Although, these different proofs off the stills that Chuck was describing may not have been in place at the time that this particular Bakers LE was distilled.  Chuck said that was a “recent” change in 2008, and this 13 juice would have had to have been distilled in 2006 or earlier. It would be interesting to find out when the started doing the “wood management” he described and when the proof differences actually started. 

I checked in with a friend who works at Beam and he told me that as of now Baker's both comes off the still and goes into the barrel at 125.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, flahute said:

I checked in with a friend who works at Beam and he told me that as of now Baker's both comes off the still and goes into the barrel at 125.

Do you know when this is ready to hit the market? 

I have done 4 barrel picks of KC this year, and have noticed that all the samples are 10 to 11y's old. No more 14y samples, now I know why?  

This should be on a different post, but thought I would bring it up. I saw an e-mail from a distributor that said KC 120 SB is going to have a $15 to $20 increase by the end of this year.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.