Low-Cost Daily Drinker

DaveD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Low-Cost Daily Drinker… what’s your favorite? I’m new here and looking for something new to imbibe.

Thanks for having me, looks like a tremendous exchange of ideas and information.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, DaveD said:

Low-Cost Daily Drinker… what’s your favorite? I’m new here and looking for something new to imbibe.

Thanks for having me, looks like a tremendous exchange of ideas and information.

What's low cost?  Readily available in the $20-25 range I recommend Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Rye, Old Grand Dad BiB.  

If looking cheaper Very Old Barton and Evan Williams White label spring to mind.  

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What's low cost?  Readily available in the $20-25 range I recommend Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Rye, Old Grand Dad BiB.  

If looking cheaper Very Old Barton and Evan Williams White label spring to mind.  

In my opinion, $30 and under.  

• I like it 1

What Bob said above. Others I can get below $30:

Old Granddad 114 (OGD 114)

4 Roses Small Batch (4RSmB)

Russell's Reserve 10 yr (right at $30)

Rittenhouse BIB Rye

Jim Beam Distillers Cut (was a short time release that can still be found in some markets)

4 Roses Yellow Label (4RYL, now technically a beige l colored label)

Weller special Reserve (WSR

• I like it 1

My readily available (in Nashville) under $30 daily sipper rotation:

Bourbons:

OGD114

ECSmB

OF100Sig

Larceny

VOB BIB

FRSmB

WT101

BT

Non-bourbons (Ryes):

OF Rye

GD Rye

• I like it 2

If the whisky will be used as a mixer with ginger ale or such like then my lowest priced options are Benchmark, Barton 86 and Evan Williams Black Label.

Up to $20 I can get Old Grand Dad BIB which I will frankly drink in preference over much more expensive brands.

At $30 there are so many the Bourbon world is your oyster.  If I were new and unfamiliar with brands and their profiles (high rye, low rye, wheat, etc.) then I would visit an internet seller, look at the brands and their descriptions, make a list of everything that looked interesting, then go to the largest local liquor store, hand them the list and ask for any 50 ml bottles in stock that were on my list.  I know, 50 ml is just a taste but a taste is all I need to get started.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, DaveD said:

Oh, and welcome to the Board.

43 minutes ago, WillyP said:

My readily available (in Nashville) under $30 daily sipper rotation:

Bourbons:

OGD114

ECSmB

OF100Sig

Larceny

VOB BIB

FRSmB

WT101

BT

Non-bourbons (Ryes):

OF Rye

GD Rye

I get to Nashville once or twice a year, you are truly blessed with the selection available. 

20 minutes ago, squire said:

Oh, and welcome to the Board.

Thanks! What great fun! 

1 hour ago, squire said:

If the whisky will be used as a mixer with ginger ale or such like then my lowest priced options are Benchmark, Barton 86 and Evan Williams Black Label.

Up to $20 I can get Old Grand Dad BIB which I will frankly drink in preference over much more expensive brands.

At $30 there are so many the Bourbon world is your oyster.  If I were new and unfamiliar with brands and their profiles (high rye, low rye, wheat, etc.) then I would visit an internet seller, look at the brands and their descriptions, make a list of everything that looked interesting, then go to the largest local liquor store, hand them the list and ask for any 50 ml bottles in stock that were on my list.  I know, 50 ml is just a taste but a taste is all I need to get started.

The advice regarding buying mini bottles and even 200mL ‘bat wings’ is invaluable and will save you money, regret, and liver bamd width. 

It is advice I certainly wish I had rec’d some years back. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, DaveD said:

I get to Nashville once or twice a year, you are truly blessed with the selection available.  

Thanks DaveD, we're blessed in many ways....try not to take anything for granted. Honestly, it sometimes feels like a bourbon hunting desert.

Another way to approach this is to do a bit of research on the major American whiskey distillers and their brands and then to sort the suggestions in the above posts by distiller.  THEN, pick a couple from each distiller to try which will give you about a dozen or so brands to try.  This would give you an idea of what the flagship brands of each distiller taste like (also known as a "House Profile").

Take a few notes so you can compare what you find (relative sweetness, oakiness, caramel, fruit, etc.).  Taking notes also allows you to explain to any critics that you are "testing" and "doing research" instead of indiscriminately drinking cheap hooch.  The notes are crucial - I guarantee you'll forget stuff you don't write down and will be amazed, days later, at what you DID write down.

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Another way to approach this is to do a bit of research on the major American whiskey distillers and their brands and then to sort the suggestions in the above posts by distiller.  THEN, pick a couple from each distiller to try which will give you about a dozen or so brands to try.  This would give you an idea of what the flagship brands of each distiller taste like (also known as a "House Profile").

Take a few notes so you can compare what you find (relative sweetness, oakiness, caramel, fruit, etc.).  Taking notes also allows you to explain to any critics that you are "testing" and "doing research" instead of indiscriminately drinking cheap hooch.  The notes are crucial - I guarantee you'll forget stuff you don't write down and will be amazed, days later, at what you DID write down.

Harry hit the nail on the head. These are pretty much my thoughts as well. 

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Taking notes also allows you to explain to any critics that you are "testing" and "doing research" instead of indiscriminately drinking cheap hooch. 

Why does a certain female rolling her eyes immediately come to mind when I read that?

• I like it 6

OGD114, WT101, OF Sig100, OF Rye, KC100, ECSmB and EWBIB would be my starting point. 

Welcome to the board. I recommend a visit to the sb.com whiskey tree thread at the top of the general discussion forum. You will find a detailed breakdown of the brands made by all the major distilleries, that will demystify who makes what in case you aren’t already aware. All the majors have entries at sub 30 and you will avoid overlap by using the tree. Harry’s suggestion of exploring a couple few expressions within each distillery catalog is also very worthwhile and within the sub30 level you are looking at. If you can score small bottles a Squire suggested all the better. Cheers!!

personal favorites:

WT101, OGD BIB&114, Rittenhouse rye, George Dickle 12, Four Roses YL, small batch and if you catch a good sale the single barrel, Evan Williams BIB, a good store select Elijah Craig.

I also recommend starting a spreadsheet with your tasting notes. I started on early on and am very glad to have it.

Edited by kcgumbohead

WT 101 is the easy choice for me, after that I would rotate through the various available BIB Bourbons. @squire's  point about small format bottles is something I subscribe to 100%. 

• I like it 2

I would add Early Times BIB to that list if it's available in your market

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I would add Early Times BIB to that list if it's available in your market

Is that no longer a KY exclusive?

On 6/11/2019 at 1:51 PM, squire said:

I totally agree here. There are dozens of great bourbon under 30 bucks. Many have been mentioned. Knob Creek is a great bourbon under 30. Evan Williams Single Barrel, Makers Mark, and Larceny are others that you can enjoy everyday within your budget. 

On 6/12/2019 at 11:23 PM, alcoholica said:

Is that no longer a KY exclusive?

It has spread to other states, although I don't know which ones. We have it in SC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.