Warehouse Receipts

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am working on cataloging some warehouse receipts from the 1940's. They are interesting because they show the barrel proof's of the whiskey in the barrels. Here are the distillery names and barrel proofs.

(1942)H E Pogue Distillery Co. - Maysville, Ky. 104 proof

(1943)Bernheim Distilling Co. - Louisville, Ky. 101 proof

(1947)Geo. T. Stagg Company - Frankfort, Ky. 105 proof

(1947) The Melvale Distilling Co. (formerly the Dowling Distillers, Inc) - Burgin, Ky. 101 proof

(1941) Dowling Bros. Distilling Co. - Bugin, Ky. 101 proof

(1943)Logansport Distilling Co., Inc. - Logansport, Pa. 101 proof

(1942)Logansport Distilling Co., Inc. - Logansport, Pa. 162 proof

(1942)Blue Ribbon Distilleries Co. - Carrolton, Ky. 103 proof

(1944)Fairfield Distillery - Bardstown, Ky. 101 proof

This shows that lower barrel proof was the rule for most of these whiskies. I am not sure why the one Logansport whiskey was so high in proof, but I suspect that it was a product made for blended whiskey.

Mike Veach

The Stagg warehouse receipts actually list the brand the wihiskey was made for - Mason and Dixon Bourbon and Old Dignity Bourbon. The Old Dignity actually had a barrel proof of 102 instead of 105.

Mike Veach

Mike, your note on that 162 proof receipt made me wonder:

What's the highest proof bourbon ever bottled? Has there been anything higher than this year's Stagg?

Omar

Omar,

I have never seen anything higher than the Stagg. Since barrel proof maximum is 125 and proof rises with age, I would suppose that the Stagg proof is about as high as it gets. These bourbons and ryes(the ones with 101-105 barrel proofs) would probably not get higher than the 125 to 130 range. The other product was probably an alcohol made for blending and may even put into used barrels. It could not be a whiskey because whiskey has to be distilled at less than 160 proof.

Mike Veach

• 1 month later...

Mike:

Does the warehouse receipt for H.E. Pogue give the whisky's name? That happens to be my grandfather's (and my great grandfather's and my great great grandfather's) distillery and I have several warehouse receipts dating back to the early teens. If it was from the 40s it is probably for Pogue "Good Old" Kentucky Bourbon which is how it was being marketed in the 40s. Incidentally, I'm always looking for items to put in my "mini museum". Thanks for the info.

Brbninindy, can you tell us anything about the rerealease of "Old Pogue"? I was told it would be out by now, the last I heard it will make it before Bourbon Festival time.

Sorry,

There is no brand name on these receipts. This whiskey was made after Schenley bought the distillery and the whiskey probably ended up either in a blended product because of the war, or to fill bottles from their bigger brands such as I W Harper, Old Charter or Old Quaker.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.