It's National Bourbon Day

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's not like I need another reason to have a drink but 14 June is National Bourbon Day.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I think I'll celebrate by drinking some Bourbon!  ?

Hmmmm. :P  Now there's an idea worth consideration!  :D

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Waiting in line for the Old Fitzgerald 13 year

Oh no tell me you are not at that MoCo boondoggle.  That place will be nuts.   

Hope you got it. Will be going later this afternoon. Have to see what’s left when I get there. Going to the EC seminar.

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

But the hardest decision . . . which one?  ?

That's not much of an issue for me today. I'm in Reno visiting my daughter and her new baby, and the only whiskey in the house is a family size Bulleit and a left over WR 50ml from my flight out. That's OK though, I like the FR....I mean Bulleit :) 

• I like it 3

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea.  Just another reason why I'm glad I joined this forum  ?

Pouring some PHC Blend of Mashbills - one of my top 5 favorite bourbons (scratch that - whiskies).  Cheers!

• I like it 1

Small tasting (OF1920, ECBP B517, and GTS 2017) with an eye to bourbon history to celebrate:

image.thumb.jpeg.925c061ae64649c5704d2eb16ec26f7d.jpeg

• I like it 4

Well sounds like a fine excuse to drink something good. 

Its also Friday, the start of a rare 3 day weekend for me ?.

Cheers y’all. 

42C9A2EE-5F62-4C9C-9D56-A3CD59F71DEF.jpeg

• I like it 3

Thanks to mako I’m enjoying this complex little gem. Only thing that felt right to follow up a stagg junior Manhattan. Happy bourbon day!

15C62A6E-615F-4277-96C7-AD33A1EA252C.jpeg

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Got a sample today from a friend. About to give it a run. 

• I like it 1

Just now, bourbon4all said:

Thanks to mako I’m enjoying this complex little gem. Only thing that felt right to follow up a stagg junior Manhattan. Happy bourbon day!

15C62A6E-615F-4277-96C7-AD33A1EA252C.jpeg

The Kansas Carolina connection!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, ccleve23 said:

Oh no tell me you are not at that MoCo boondoggle.  That place will be nuts.   

Guilty.  I actually think they did a pretty good job running it and they get some stuff at a good price.  Some stuff came up and I couldn't stay for the Yama lottery but I did enjoy the morning.  I also enjoy talking with the fellow crazies in line.

12 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Got a sample today from a friend. About to give it a run. 

Curious as to your thoughts.  I haven't seen too many opinions on this one, but this line has had very mixed reviews with most hating the 11 yr and loving the 9 year it seemed.

9 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Curious as to your thoughts.  I haven't seen too many opinions on this one, but this line has had very mixed reviews with most hating the 11 yr and loving the 9 year it seemed.

Agreed! Me and friends all but single handily polished off a 9 at a local watering hole while my own 11 is all but untouched.

68 degrees with low humidity in SC in June AND it’s national bourbon day! It’s going to be a good evening. Starting it with a 9 year OBSQ. 

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Can't speak for Mako but I did a little sampling tonight of the 13. Was surprisingly bold and drank above it's proof. Blind I would have thought a light rye and not wheat? Very nice but not delicate. I had been drinking a much bigger proof before the taste which made my drink even more surprising. 

Celebrating with the final pour from WTKS. I'm going to use to bottle for standard WT101. Gotta keep the Turkey feather bottle alive. 

• I like it 4

@JoeTerp @FacePlant @bourbon4all

The OF 13 is a quality pour.  Agree that it has more heft than I expected for 100 proof (it is more viscous not hot IE heft). 

A lovely nose that tips the mash bill: thick butterscotch and a syrupy caramel note. Changes gears mid palate as another SBer notes. Reminds me more of a rye bourbon—fair amount of spice and an oaky presence that reminds you of the age but not in an unpleasant way (over oakes bourbon is not something I enjoy). It has a subtly lingering finish with a nice little bloom at the end. Over all, I like it. Maybe even enough to buy....which says a lot for me. 

This is hands down better than lot B. 

Savoring last few sips now. After the nose, it would be hard to convince me this was a wheater if I had tried it blind. 

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Celebrating with the final pour from WTKS. I'm going to use to bottle for standard WT101. Gotta keep the Turkey feather bottle alive. 

I am going to do the same with my last and final bottle of WTKS. Put 101 in there

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Outstanding idea!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.