Best sub-$100 rye

BusterChestnut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Obviously this is a wide range, but for what’s readily available (within reason) right now, the WTRR SiB rye gets my vote. NCF, 104pf, ~6yr and somewhere around $50 depending on location.

CEHT rye is also solid, and I miss the hell out of SAOS store pick ryes (only 4 left in the bunker!), but nothing scratches the itch right now like the gobbler

• I like it 2

Pikesville. No question about it. I can’t get enough of that stuff. 

• I like it 2

It feels like a luxury that we even can ask the question at this point it's not too long ago that the options were sparse.  I think my honest answer might be Redemption 7 year Barrel Proof.

When I read this title, I thought "Hell, aren't 90% of ryes out there are sub-$100?" Checking my local Total Wine's website - out of 116 rye whiskies, all but 9 are $100 or under.  And of those 9, I wouldn't buy any of them.  

Knee jerk response would be Pikesville, although Redemption 7yr BP is solid (not sure why I hadn't bought one of these in years - last one I had was 3+ yrs ago; a 6 yr that was < $60 at the time, and was pretty damn good; tons of citrus spice)

• I like it 3

49 minutes ago, GaryT said:

When I read this title, I thought "Hell, aren't 90% of ryes out there are sub-$100?" Checking my local Total Wine's website - out of 116 rye whiskies, all but 9 are $100 or under.  And of those 9, I wouldn't buy any of them.  

Knee jerk response would be Pikesville, although Redemption 7yr BP is solid (not sure why I hadn't bought one of these in years - last one I had was 3+ yrs ago; a 6 yr that was < $60 at the time, and was pretty damn good; tons of citrus spice)

I had the exact same reaction. But to throw in my two cents, Knob Creek Cask Strength is a fabulous rye. To try something different with good payoff, look into the Catoctin Creek lineup. 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

I had the exact same reaction. But to throw in my two cents, Knob Creek Cask Strength is a fabulous rye. To try something different with good payoff, look into the Catoctin Creek lineup. 

I completely forgot KCCS . . . teacher, can I change my answer?  That's a fabulous rye for the money!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Pikesville. No question about it. I can’t get enough of that stuff. 

What he said....

I love Pikesville, but I can buy a liter of WT 101 Rye for half the money. And the Turkey is dang good.

• I like it 4

Too many options to contemplate.  Few are extraordinary but most are very solid.

OF Rye and Pikesville top my list for flavor and QPR.  However, I do enjoy WTR101.  I also enjoy others but price and availability factor in.  Right now, it is difficult to buck up for anything over OF Rye.

15 hours ago, GaryT said:

Maybe most ryes are sub-$100, but certainly not the best ones ;)

12 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Maybe most ryes are sub-$100, but certainly not the best ones ;)

Perhaps so but I still tend to take cost into the equation. Booker's Rye was excellent but I am not paying $300 (retail!!!!!) for it again much less what it might cost on the sucker, I mean secondary, market. :wacko:

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 2

Different profiles but I enjoy all of these at various price points Rittenhouse, WP10yr, and a couple enjoyable newbies Wilderness Trail and New Riff ryes.

• I like it 1

All under $100, here are some that come to mind:

Pikesville

Michters Barrel Strength

Whistlepig Store Picks

Rendezvous Rye

Colonel EH Taylor

Rittenhouse 

Pikesville

CEHT

Wilderness Trail high rye bourbon 

Willet 

Whistle Pig store pick

All great and under $100 around here. 

Not mentioned so far - Old Overholt B.I.B., and Dickel Rye (sourced from MGP).

Rittenhouse/Pikesville are good too.  I buy any of those four.  I'm just not into the hype for $50+ bottles.

I'm interested in WT 101 Rye, and OF Rye.  I'm still waiting for those to show up.  

• I like it 1

I can't claim to have tasted even half the ryes listed above, but once I stumbled across Ritt Rye I stopped buying others.  (Oh, except Balcones Rye for those times when I want some chocolate for dessert and I'm out of Oreos.)

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 1

For budget champion, Rittenhouse only has one real competitor, and that's Old Forester Rye. Both are freaking awesome for the money and everyone should have a bottle of each. I think Pikesville is a noticeable step up from Ritt, but for twice the money, it's certainly not a better value. Though Pikesville's mix of quality, price, and availability is hard to match, so it's generally my recommendation for someone looking for a good rye that is a notch above the usual mixers.

Not thinking (so much) about price, but trying to restrict it to things that someone could reasonably buy (no Handy etc) my top 10 under $100 looks something like this:

1. Whistlepig MGP store picks
  2. Russell's Reserve Rye Single Barrel
  3. Willett 4 year
  4. High West Midwinter Night's Dram
  5. Little Book Chapter 2 (not exactly a rye, but close enough for me)
  6. Micther's Barrel Proof Rye
  7. Pikesville
  8. Whistlepig 10/100
  9. Old Forester Rye (by a hair)
  10. Rittenhouse

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure at least one of my Kentucky Owl rye batch #1 cost me a little under $100, but yeah I know, that ain't typical ?

But realistically I just so happen to be sipping a Redemption bp 8 year old, and it's damn fine whiskey. At the $100 price point there are a ton of good options.  More interesting question for ryes would be the $30, $50 and $75 price points.

• I like it 1

Yeah, if you can't find a WP10 MGP pick, which seem to be hard to get these days, any of the Redemption Ryes are good, and should be under $100.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Perhaps so but I still tend to take cost into the equation. Booker's Rye was excellent but I am not paying $300 (retail!!!!!) for it again much less what it might cost on the sucker, I mean secondary, market. :wacko:

I paid that for my Bookers and I believe it's worth it.  Tasted $300 scotch that couldn't touch it.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, dcbt said:

I can't claim to have tasted even half the ryes listed above, but once I stumbled across Ritt Rye I stopped buying others.  (Oh, except Balcones Rye for those times when I want some chocolate for dessert and I'm out of Oreos.)

I am intrigued by this one as any whiskey with chocolate note will get my attention immediately. I haven't really looked for it in the greater ATL area and don't know if its distributed here but I may do some more research into it. Balcones Winston gave a rather detailed description of their process which I found interesting and informative. 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:43 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I am intrigued by this one as any whiskey with chocolate note will get my attention immediately. I haven't really looked for it in the greater ATL area and don't know if its distributed here but I may do some more research into it. Balcones Winston gave a rather detailed description of their process which I found interesting and informative. 

Yea, they include chocolate (cocoa?) rye in the mashbill, which certainly more than comes through in the final product.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, dcbt said:

Yea, they include chocolate (cocoa?) rye in the mashbill, which certainly more than comes through in the final product.

Which Balcones has this?  I may have to give that one a try. I've  had couple from Balcones before  but since  it didn't

really  stand out to me at the time I don't  even remember  which expressions they were.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.