Old Grand-dad 100 Bonded

Anvil 20
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just picked this up and tried it last night; great stuff!   

I'm still pretty new to the bourbon world (been taking it seriously for about 6 months now).  Thus far, WT101 has been my favorite work-horse bourbon, but OGD 100 might be giving it a run for its money. 

I've been keeping an eye out for the OGD 114, but I've never seen it in a store in my area.    I'd love to try that one as well. 

I'm just pumped to have found another great bourbon at such an affordable price point. 

• I like it 5

1 minute ago, Anvil 20 said:

I'm still pretty new to the bourbon world (been taking it seriously for about 6 months now).  Thus far, WT101 has been my favorite work-horse bourbon, but OGD 100 might be giving it a run for its money. 

I've been keeping an eye out for the OGD 114, but I've never seen it in a store in my area.    I'd love to try that one as well. 

I'm just pumped to have found another great bourbon at such an affordable price point. 

You've hit upon two (3-when you grab an OGD 114) of the very best Bourbons out there, especially for the prices of each.   All are very hard to beat, and very satisfying pours.   OGD is somewhat unique in it's profile, and WT 101 is also a very singular pour.   Neither is a great deal like the other; but, both area excellent!   If you never tried any others, you could live a happy life, though I don't imagine your journey will unfold in this way.   Few do.   Have FUN!

• I like it 5

5 minutes ago, Anvil 20 said:

You're on the right track, my friend.  Those are excellent pours.  At a slightly lower price point, you might want to try Evan Williams BiB.  A different flavor profile than the two you mentioned but a great value and a pretty darn good bourbon, IMO.  It and WT101 are the two daily drinkers I always keep on hand. 

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Anvil 20 said:

Well done and as Rich stated 2 of the very best out there. You now have two bonafide measuring sticks against which all others will be judged, cheers and welcome to the journey. FWIW I am never without either WT 101 or OGD BIB, you’re going to love the 114 when you find it as well and then there is WT Rare Breed...

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Anvil 20 said:

Good choices and welcome to the Board.  I bought my first bottle of Old Grand Dad BIB more than 50 years ago and it's still a favorite.

• I like it 7

On 6/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, Anvil 20 said:

Thus far, WT101 has been my favorite work-horse bourbon, but OGD 100 might be giving it a run for its money. 

WT101 and OGD BIB are the 2 staples of life. For taste, price and availability they can't be beat.  It will be a very sad day when you can't walk into any LS in the country and not find these 2 gems ready to buy.

• I like it 3

On 6/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, fosmith said:

You're on the right track, my friend.  Those are excellent pours.  At a slightly lower price point, you might want to try Evan Williams BiB.  A different flavor profile than the two you mentioned but a great value and a pretty darn good bourbon, IMO.  It and WT101 are the two daily drinkers I always keep on hand. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. Drank bourbon most of my adult life, but only started becoming an enthusiast recently.....so I have a question; why is it that WT101 and Old Grand Dad (and similar brands) are kind of looked down upon?  Is it because they are generally thought of as "cheap"? 

Full disclosure, I just emptied a bottle of OGD and still have half of WT101 left....I like 'em with a dash of water. 

Edited by FreddyC
  • I like it 1

23 minutes ago, FreddyC said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. Drank bourbon most of my adult life, but only started becoming an enthusiast recently.....so I have a question; why is it that WT101 and Old Grand Dad (and similar brands) are kind of looked down upon?  Is it because they are generally thought of as "cheap"?  

Full disclosure, I just emptied a bottle of OGD and still have half of WT101 left....I like 'em with a dash of water. 

For some reason, people equate price with quality, i.e., if it's expensive, it must be good.  And, conversely, if it's inexpensive, it must be bad.  I was in Bevmo a while back and the sales clerk was touting bottles in the glass case.  I told him they sounded good but I came in to buy a bottle of Evan Williams BiB.  The clerk looked horrified and said, "that stuff will take the enamel off your teeth".  I asked him if he'd ever tried it and he said no...

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, FreddyC said:

Those are excellent bourbons,   offering both quality and value.   I'd add Beam Black and Old Forester  100 proof as rivals that have never steered me wrong.    

The answer to your question,  I think, is liquor company marketing.    Most of the major distillers want you to "graduate" from their mass market product to their small batch.   single barrel and barrel proof variants.    Let's face it, being a bourbon snob is fun,   and I get enjoyment in appreciating what goes into these whiskies.    But WT101 and OGDBIB offer the bourbon verities ;  classic mashbills,   classic bourbon proof,  and good maturity.     Enjoy the glass,  and pocket the cash!   

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, FreddyC said:

I would say for many these bottles were their earliest experiences with bourbon and since they were higher proof than what they were likely used to on the bottle shelf, their experiences probably tended to be not all that positive.  

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, FreddyC said:

Drank bourbon most of my adult life, but only started becoming an enthusiast recently.....so I have a question; why is it that WT101 and Old Grand Dad (and similar brands) are kind of looked down upon? 

They're only looked down on by closed minded people who value status and perception over quality and value

• I like it 9

At first OGD Bonded was not a favorite, I changed my mind after letting it sit for awhile.  The bottle seemed to improve after opening and sitting for a week or two.

• I like it 2

On 6/24/2019 at 11:27 PM, kaiserhog said:

At first OGD Bonded was not a favorite, I changed my mind after letting it sit for awhile.  The bottle seemed to improve after opening and sitting for a week or two.

". . . sitting for a week or two."??  How do you get a 750 of OGD BIB to last a WEEK, let alone two weeks??:o

Edited by Harry in WashDC
caps lock issue - fat fingers missed the "a" key.
  • I like it 4

Old Grand Dad is the perfect happy hour Bourbon.  Of course I believe every hour should be happy.

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

". . . sitting for a week or two."??  How do you get a 750 of OGD BIB to last a WEEK, let alone two weeks??:o

Jeeeez, Harry!        I shouldn't have to explain this to a man of your . . .  let's say; 'experience'...

Y'a gotta have at least a couple o' them bad boys open at all times!   One near at hand, as well as one nearby, and if yer thinkin' at all; a couple more that aren't too far away.

Ya' just never know when you'll stub a toe or get a hangnail, or some other disaster that makes opening up a brand new one a challenge.    ...Just sayin'..........................

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, I was fortunate to have other options.  I am a fan now and will always have OGD BIB on my shelf.  I do have a thing for bonded bourbons, I think it is great to have a stamp of quailty without breaking the bank.

1 hour ago, kaiserhog said:

Well, I was fortunate to have other options.  I am a fan now and will always have OGD BIB on my shelf.  I do have a thing for bonded bourbons, I think it is great to have a stamp of quailty without breaking the bank.

The thing I like about the BIBs is I pretty much know what the baseline is: 100 proof and at least 4 years plus some flavors I know and love.  When I don't know what I want or can't make up my mind, I cannot make a mistake by grabbing ANY BIB.  IOW, it reduces the thinking I have to do, thus conserving energy while avoiding angst.B)  AND, I avoid risking that the bottles I pass by will feel bad because I didn't pick them.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The thing I like about the BIBs is I pretty much know what the baseline is: 100 proof and at least 4 years plus some flavors I know and love.  When I don't know what I want or can't make up my mind, I cannot make a mistake by grabbing ANY BIB.  IOW, it reduces the thinking I have to do, thus conserving energy while avoiding angst.B)  AND, I avoid risking that the bottles I pass by will feel bad because I didn't pick them.

Uhhh, bottles have feelings???  All of my bottles feel great (at least that's what they tell me)!!!   ?

• I like it 3

On 6/27/2019 at 5:27 AM, GeeTen said:

Uhhh, bottles have feelings???  All of my bottles feel great (at least that's what they tell me)!!!   ?

All whiskey bottles have extremely sensitive feelings and need to be treated with tender loving care.?

Edited by kaiserhog
  • I like it 2

WT101 and OGD BiB are fantastic bourbons and values. Jim Beam Distiller’s Cut is another to try in the same price range if you can find it. I love Four Roses but they don’t have a value bourbon that competes with these IMO. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

WT101 and OGD BiB are fantastic bourbons and values. Jim Beam Distiller’s Cut is another to try in the same price range if you can find it. I love Four Roses but they don’t have a value bourbon that competes with these IMO. 

Four Roses Yellow Label used to be my everyday pour and I enjoyed it.  Why pay more for 80 proof whiskey when I could buy EWBIB @ 100 proof for slightly less money.  A better whiskey with more flavor for less money, it is no contest.  I still keep some FRYL for nostalgic reason and for something different. 

15 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I agree with you on 4R.  I've only tried the yellow label, and it's decent but not all that exciting.    I do want to try the small batch, though. 

On 6/29/2019 at 10:54 AM, kaiserhog said:

Four Roses Yellow Label used to be my everyday pour and I enjoyed it.

Four Roses is quite possibly the only 80 proof bourbon available in Michigan that I would actually call good.

• I like it 2

I always have a few bottles of OGD 114 around.  I know I should probably pick up some OGD BIB but I like the 114 so much I usually just pass the BIB by.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.