Entering the Beam lineup

B Wade
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I’m a huge Wild Turkey lover. It’s by far what I’ve drank the most of since I got into bourbon, specifically 101. I enjoy Elijah Craig, especially the Barrel Proof which I have a bottle of. I want to get into Beam next but am not sure where my entry point should be. I have had Basil Hayden’s which was fine but I didn’t love and I’ve had Knob Creek SB which I didn’t really find pleasing. I’ve heard some people say that they aren’t personally a fan of the Knob Creek but like different Beam offerings. I don’t want to jump straight to Bookers but also don’t want to buy white label and not get an accurate depiction of what they offer. I’m thinking maybe Distillers Cut should be my starting point, thoughts?

If you can find Distiller’s Cut absolutely grab one. To my recollection it was a fairly good representative of the house style, but one thing I’m sure of is it was a very enjoyable pour generally and a great value in the ~$25 range.

• I like it 1

Grab an Old Grand Dad 114.  Great whiskey for $24. It’s heavy on the cinnamon notes.... tastes like it had a few red hot candies dropped in the bottle. I like it as a change of pace from the typical vanilla, caramel, fruit bourbons

Welcome to SB.  I'm guessing that's a Wash Nats logo in your avatar circle.  If so and if you are near Montgomery County MD, the various stores have good selections of basic Beam offerings all at MSRP.

In my humble opinion, JBW (Jim Beam White) is a quintessential mixer for batch cocktails (bourbon and (pick one) Coke, 7-Up, OJ, lemonade, apple sauce, etc.) but hardly drinkable by itself.  A step up is JBB (JB Black Extra Aged) at 86 proof.  OK for sipping on hot days and a better mixer than lots of competitors.  Up from there is JB BIB (JB Bonded) @ 100 proof and at least 4 yrs old.  I keep at least two (maybe six) on hand.  The JB Distillers Cut (100 proof) is nonchill filtered and, hence, slightly rougher thsn the bonded although it is priced at about where JB BIB is.  Some people like the Beam offerings in the perfume bottles.  I do not for the price.

Old Grand-Dad is a Beam product but still (I believe) uses a differenet yeast than basic Beams.  OGD BIB is my go-to, most consumed, most stockpiled bourbon.  I also have a lifetime supply of OGD 114 which I purchased when it went on sale and was rumored to be discontinued.  Happily it was not although the price did jump, permanently, about $4 a bottle.

Finally, some of the old discussion threads have some pretty good information and opinions about the Beam offerings including tasting notes, etc.  Make good and heavy use of the "Search" box while holding a glass in your other hand and read to your heart's content.

• I like it 2

In the current lineup I would choose Beam Black as being situated in the middle of the pack presenting a fairly good snapshot of Beam products generally.

• I like it 1

I would say spot on with the Distiller's Cut.

OGD B.I.B./OGD 114, and Old Overholt  B.I.B. are worth checking out.

Booker's and Baker's get a lot of love on this site.

Any specific reason you want to get into Beam?

If you like WT, I would say, Four Roses, Old Forester and 1792 are where to head next.

• I like it 2

I’d try Baker’s. Offers more maturity than white, black, bonded, and Distillers Cut. 

For what I like (like you, a whole heap of ‘Turkey) some of the KCSB can be oaky as all hell...not desirable to me. Baker’s proof and age work for me. 

Be warned, if you like it, scoop some up. The Beam brain trust has decided to ditch small batch, go all single barrel (with NO pick program) and raise the price. 

• I like it 1

I like WT offerings, but I also like KC single barrels, single barrel reserve & single barrel store picks. 

For Beam, I've had 2 bottles of their Single Barrel and liked both. I missed the Distiller's select when it was on the shelf, but have had the Devil's Cut a few times and find that an easy sipper. For what I can find, if I want Beam on the label, I'm going to JB Single Barrel. Otherwise my preferred Beam product is the KC lineup (especially the Ryes).

Good luck and enjoy the experience. 

I'm a fan of KC, especially SiB PS's and my favorite is a 14 y.o. that a local LS recently had. So good I went back for 2 more. It's the only KC SiB that has hit all the notes each and every time I visit it. The LS was out soon after. Booker's for me is no longer a consideration at it's $80 to $90 price tag. Yesterday I bought my first bottle of Bakers as I had always read less that stellar reviews and it's poorly positioned price tag. Well, boy howdy. Great stuff at the ideal proof and age as others on this site have stated. Perfect neat. Like a properly proofed Bookers. I'm going back for a couple more bottles.

• I like it 2

I agree with the view that if you're into WT,  the most logical next place to go is probably Old Forester.     Those have been my go-to pours for years.  

I wasn't much of a Beam drinker until the last year or two,  but that's all changed.   Distiller's Cut is what led me to the promised land,  but that's no longer available in my area.   But I've since made a project of trying most of the Beam range,   and I've gotta say if you're going to step into the pool,  take the plunge  into the deep end. 

Bakers is the way to go.   Its proof (107) it comparable to the WT 101 you love - if you sip WT101 neat,  you can easily do the same with the Bakers.     Bakers sports the perfect age -  about 7 years -  oaky but not too much ( and again, comparable to most WT).    And it's a small batch product so it's consistent in a way that single barrels aren't..    And the dark, rich color and warm "bourbon hug" from its complex and stone-classic flavors are simply the best of the best.   

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Be warned, if you like it, scoop some up. The Beam brain trust has decided to ditch small batch, go all single barrel (with NO pick program) and raise the price. 

Now that's some bummer news.    Just as I've discovered the greatness of Baker's.    Oh well,  off to feed the bunker . . .

• I like it 1

Many Beam offerings are available in smaller sizes and for minimal$ you could sample around their various offerings. If you must spend anything on Beam white then small bottle may be your best option, just in case you respond to it as I do. OGD bonded and 114? Shop 750s and don't look back!! have fun, welcome to the board and Slainte!!

13 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Any specific reason you want to get into Beam?

If you like WT, I would say, Four Roses, Old Forester and 1792 are where to head next.

57 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

I agree with the view that if you're into WT,  the most logical next place to go is probably Old Forester.     Those have been my go-to pours for years.  

I wasn't much of a Beam drinker until the last year or two,  but that's all changed.   Distiller's Cut is what led me to the promised land,  but that's no longer available in my area.   But I've since made a project of trying most of the Beam range,   and I've gotta say if you're going to step into the pool,  take the plunge  into the deep end. 

Bakers is the way to go.   Its proof (107) it comparable to the WT 101 you love - if you sip WT101 neat,  you can easily do the same with the Bakers.     Bakers sports the perfect age -  about 7 years -  oaky but not too much ( and again, comparable to most WT).    And it's a small batch product so it's consistent in a way that single barrels aren't..    And the dark, rich color and warm "bourbon hug" from its complex and stone-classic flavors are simply the best of the best.   

Funny WT is my favorite distillery and Old Forester has zero appeal to me.

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Many Beam offerings are available in smaller sizes and for minimal$ you could sample around their various offerings. If you must spend anything on Beam white then small bottle may be your best option, just in case you respond to it as I do. OGD bonded and 114? Shop 750s and don't look back!! have fun, welcome to the board and Slainte!!

Great advice

WOW what great advice! Sample size airline bottles, JB Black, Distillers Cut, Old Granddad etc. Welcome to the board BW.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This is largely how I feel too. 1920 is good, but it cant stand up to the RR SiB PS bottles I've had 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

This is largely how I feel too. 1920 is good, but it cant stand up to the RR SiB PS bottles I've had 

I don't even like 1920, I've had it at events, bar pours, and bought a bottle and don't get the appeal as it amplifies what I don't like about BF bourbons, glad others do though.

Try the 100 proof Knob Creek.  It was my intro into the Beam family and my first "premium" small batch bourbon love...  It's comparable in proof and price to WT101 and a good way to compare and contrast two great distilleries.  As a bonus, I hear that they are soon bringing back the 9 year age statement. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Fair enough, I see a similarities in the flavor profile between the two, and enjoy both, but maybe that's just me. But I get it, Beam, Dickel and Heaven Hill to a lesser extent tend to have a note that I can't get along with. I generally lump these into the sour nut category, while WT, OF, 1792 and Four Roses go in the spicy category, and BT sits alone in the neutral category.

7 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Fair enough, I see a similarities in the flavor profile between the two, and enjoy both, but maybe that's just me. But I get it, Beam, Dickel and Heaven Hill to a lesser extent tend to have a note that I can't get along with. I generally lump these into the sour nut category, while WT, OF, 1792 and Four Roses go in the spicy category, and BT sits alone in the neutral category.

I've thought a bunch about why BT doesn't get me as excited as other brands and I think the word you used here nails it "neutral". I'd guess that you might not have meant it as a necessarily negative descriptor, but thanks regardless.

With the Beam name on the front the only two I really like are the Repeal Batch (86 proof, non chill filtered) and Distiller's Cut (100 proof and non filtered).  The OGD 114 is one of my go to bourbons.  I'll always have a few bottles around.  After that you get into the higher priced pours.  I would probably go with Baker's after that.

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I've thought a bunch about why BT doesn't get me as excited as other brands and I think the word you used here nails it "neutral". I'd guess that you might not have meant it as a necessarily negative descriptor, but thanks regardless.

I think I understand where that descriptor comes from,  and that's not to say I don't like BT bourbon from time to time.    Sometimes that straight-down-the-middle experience is what I'm looking for.   And at least one BT product -   John J. Bowman,  by way of Virginia - I'd rank as outstanding.     For me,  WT and OF embody that vanilla-and-leather vibe that I find most appealing in good bourbon.   Coming  up fast on the outside, though, is Beam,  where my explorations of the last year have led me to appreciate the quality and nutty flavor profile of their best stuff.    

• I like it 1

I love WT but don't much like pretty much the entire OF lineup (except 1910, which I love).  I'm not a huge Beam fan but I'll enjoy KC at a restaurant that happens to have more than just MM and JD.  But I don't actually have any Beam products at my home bar (another reason I choose KC when out, I generally don't order something I drink regularly at home).  But, honestly, most bourbons are so similar (by definition of what makes a bourbon) that venturing from one distillery to another (esp among the majors) isn't a huge leap, just poke around and see what you like.  Obviously everyone's mileage varies.

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 2

If you didn’t like Knob Creek, I wouldn’t invest in the higher priced Beam offerings until you give the lower priced offerings a try. Old Granddad BiB is a great bourbon, and I would give that a try. I would also start with the white label and sip that, along with the other derivatives for taste comparison. I like the white label as a sipper, and do not consider myself living poorly if I have to enjoy that neat. Keep it simple and see what you like. Don’t put pressure on yourself. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.