What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, smokinjoe said:

It is really nice to see a pic of an EW Black, on here.  It is a solid whiskey that doesn’t get the respect it deserves, IMO.  

Agreed.

It's a staple on our bar, as is the WT101

• I like it 1

Agreed.
It's a staple on our bar, as is the WT101

WY101 is my daily as well. I prefer the EWBB over the Black label .
  • I like it 2

22 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Not purchased but gifts rather from my 40th this past weekend.
The Bulleit was from a buddy and might be what gets me started into cocktails. Bag is kinda cool. Another buddy gifted me a one ounce sample of ‘70s era ET. The vintage glass from my parents and the engraved cigar holder glass from the wife and kids.
IMG_2894.jpg

The Lewis bag works really well..   I have a couple of them and they really come in handy when making mint juleps.

• I like it 1

Grabbed these as part of a Fine Drams order.  Too bad there is no domestic distribution.

20190627_170643.jpg

• I like it 4

Picked up a case of Virgin Bourbon.  With the news of the HH7BiB release, I didnt want to be paying 2x the price if discontinued, or 3x the price for HH7...

20190626_172509.jpg

• I like it 12

Technically not all today, but just got back from vacationing in Santa Fe and Colorado Springs and had a decent hunt. Especially glad I got a Elijah Craig Store Pick and the latest batch of ECBP! IMG_1940.thumb.jpg.e833778816a04036eb9d6f4e20ef3b1c.jpg

• I like it 5

Temptation was hard to find at the LS today. Nothing special was on special, but this particular store did have some BT on the shelves. In fact, they had a couple of those infrequently available 1L bottles so I fired the Visa card. While it wasn't a store pick,  it's one of those really good bottles that happened to be there on the shelf in the right place at the right time.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Picked up a case of Virgin Bourbon.  With the news of the HH7BiB release, I didnt want to be paying 2x the price if discontinued, or 3x the price for HH7...

20190626_172509.jpg

Where are you going to find room for that after grabbing so much rum when you were in FL? You must have built an annex to your bunker.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Where are you going to find room for that after grabbing so much rum when you were in FL? You must have built an annex to your bunker.

I have stealthily moved into a utility room down the hall from the bar.  The boxes blend right in on the shelf or on the floor...  even allowed me to thin out the cabinet, so it looks less full to the wife.  Win-win!

On 6/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@FacePlant, I hope this isn't inappropriate to ask since that is my creation, but I'd really love to hear your thoughts about it. I've added a little more 20 year old bourbon to batches 11 through 14 than I did to your batch #10, but even so, I still added a fair amount in this one. I hope it wasn't too much that it made it overly oaky. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Hi Nancy, if you are checking back in, I have a Batch 13 bottle and think it is terrific.  I have no other batch to compare it to, so I can't say if it comes across oakier than earlier batches.  But as someone who enjoys oak and well-aged bourbons, the notion of more 20 year old bourbon in my batch is certainly appealing and pleasing to me.  As an aside, I am not a cigar smoker, so this is merely a sipping bourbon for me.  And I really love its flavor, complexity and uniqueness.  Thank you for an excellent bourbon.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Is that a fifth of JW Dant? I’ve only seen the liter sizes.

It is.  Was the only bottle on the shelf so decided to grab it.

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I have stealthily moved into a utility room down the hall from the bar.  The boxes blend right in on the shelf or on the floor...  even allowed me to thin out the cabinet, so it looks less full to the wife.  Win-win!

You really think the wife doesn't know exactly how many bottles you have?  You think my wife doesn't know the exact contents of my bunker/gunsafe (and all the double filled boxes)?  I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for ya', son.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

16 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

20190626_172509.jpg

What states is this distributed in?

There is a thread here in the Virgin Bourbon, and I think someone mentioned distribution.  All I know for sure off the top of my head is KS, NC and AL.

Probably should continue conversation there so we dont take this too far OT...

Picked up Kirkland 7yr Tennessee Bourbon today. At $30 for 1L, I am really liking it. Not normally a fan of Dickel, but the vitamin note only shows up briefly in the finish and is not very pronounced. Happy with my purchase.

• I like it 2

Bringing these two on the south shore ride home. Buddy at work picked up the W12/$40.  Feeling like the bourbon forces that be were with me I decided to stop at a small liquor store in the south loop (near Buddy Guys Blues Legend Restaurant) on my way to train and scooped he VOB100 for ~$23. The had a few store picks of 4R, ER, and many other “unicorns” along with the regulars that aren’t so available everywhere ( I’ll snap a pic next time). Prices are a bit higher  but it’s a small mom/pop operation (I think) so I expect it. 

9AFA5699-A189-4AFD-8969-6B6C06978873.jpeg

• I like it 2

Plastic WSR 750. They were saying its old stock from the 1980s. Laser code is 2018 (L18)  but the bottom of he bottle definitely has a 1983 on it.  There was a story  and these guys are usually straight shooters  but doesnt seem like BT would let 1983  stock get away without a $2000 price tag and special decanter.  

• I like it 1

Plastic WSR 750. They were saying its old stock from the 1980s. Laser code is 2018 (L18)  but the bottom of he bottle definitely has a 1983 on it.  There was a story  and these guys are usually straight shooters  but doesnt seem like BT would let 1983  stock get away without a $2000 price tag and special decanter.  

Interesting you have an pictures?

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You really think the wife doesn't know exactly how many bottles you have?  You think my wife doesn't know the exact contents of my bunker/gunsafe (and all the double filled boxes)?  I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for ya', son.   ?

If she knew exactly how many bottles I have, I'd be at the bottom of a 6' deep hole in the back yard, and not getting out...

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You think my wife doesn't know the exact contents of my bunker/gunsafe (and all the double filled boxes)?  I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for ya', son.   ?

After meeting the lovely SWMBO in Bardstown, I'm sure you're right! :D

(BTW.....I'm in the same boat, but fortunately my bride of 40yrs doesn't care)

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Hi Nancy, if you are checking back in, I have a Batch 13 bottle and think it is terrific.  I have no other batch to compare it to, so I can't say if it comes across oakier than earlier batches.  But as someone who enjoys oak and well-aged bourbons, the notion of more 20 year old bourbon in my batch is certainly appealing and pleasing to me.  As an aside, I am not a cigar smoker, so this is merely a sipping bourbon for me.  And I really love its flavor, complexity and uniqueness.  Thank you for an excellent bourbon.

@jeffrey r, batch #14 was just bottled a week ago, and that probably has even more of the 20 year old in it than the last 4 batches. It was sitting in the Armagnac cask since the beginning of last August, so it got close to 11 months to absorb that Armagnac yumminess. 

I have a shipment of freshly dumped Armagnac casks that are currently en route to DC, so those will be used for the next 4 upcoming batches. 

At any rate, glad you're enjoying your batch #13! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 3

A couple of pick ups from VA ABC to add to the bunker. The Rebel Yell 100 must have just come out. I was surprised to see it in VA, The EW SB was on "sale" at $30, the RY100 was $20, and the JB Distiller's cut was $25. Not amazing prices, but it could be worse. I may get a few more of the DC as that's great stuff for the price.

Have a good weekend everyone!

IMG_4290.JPG

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.