What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New Riff Single Barrel CS:   4 YO store pick from Gary’s.  Bottled in March 2019.  Seems unlikely to be a new Barrel.  Must have either held some back from initial shelf stocking deliberately or by accident.  Someone from NY Facebook group cleaned out the shelves when first released and was reselling at a mark up.  Glad I finally will get to try a New Riff!  

3B751948-A93F-4BA4-A5D1-D522DB05D6D4.jpeg

• I like it 2

Did some hunting today and some horse trading over the last week or so and ended up with a good mix of stuff. Really excited about the 14 year old store pick Knob Creek. Had a sip of it before I bought it and it’s really good!

The Weller 1.75L is discontinued and really hard to find at a decent price these days.

57191AE0-4FC3-4ACE-AEA1-0E478A598D3A.jpeg

• I like it 6

Picked these up in the Kingsport, TN area yesterday. I had a chance to try the SE Callahan's at the Tennessee Hills Distillery in Jonesborough, and it's pretty good for a 3yr bourbon. Nothing super complex, but it's reasonably priced for a craft distillery ($30-35). The Barrell is batch 20, the newest one.  I got two wheat whiskies, a B&B select Journeyman that is cask strength (125 proof), and the Bernheim is I think an older release before HH reintroduced it with the 7 year age statement.  This one has the older, large style logo, but also doesn't have a serial number, and I think may be from the original pick B&B did several years ago. 

IMG_7181.JPG

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, AndyD said:

I’m really jealous of that turkey rye.  Very hard to find right now.

It's still early, hasn't hit many markets, I would think this won't the the hardest thing to find though there definitely seems to be more hype around this release than the previous  MKs

23 hours ago, markandrex said:

Good afternoon hunting trip.

A68974EF-0D13-463A-9D8D-BBBC3F7DE838.jpeg

That's the first time I've seen the Boone County Small Batch. Is this their own distillate? Is it meant to replace the 1833 MGP small batched stuff that used to be available?

• I like it 1

Hat tip to @silverc  as his tip led for me to try looking for the Four Roses.  I like flowers and I picked up some other picks as well.

IMG_1326.jpg

• I like it 3

Texas hunt, vacation bourbons (and a rum!). Store picks on the right, stuff I can't find in FL on the left.

2 bottles didn't make the trip, crushed in transit. Now I have to figure out how to get whiskey smell out of a suitcase...IMG_20190803_005000750.jpg

• I like it 1

After a fortuitous text from Gurgalunas, I motored across the river this evening to a well established LS for self indulgent retail therapy. I didn't need another ECBP, I have an open C517, an unopened bottle of the same vintage and a C518 still waiting in the basement.  But I couldn't stop myself when I saw that B519 up on the top most shelf so I grabbed it and left one for the next guy. The next guy was actually a minute behind me and took the last one as if he was on a mission.  Fortune smiled upon me because I got the bottle at MSRP.  It seems like an auspicious start to the weekend.

Edited by Postal Grunt
  • I like it 4

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's still early, hasn't hit many markets, I would think this won't the the hardest thing to find though there definitely seems to be more hype around this release than the previous  MKs

Honestly I think the new MK cornerstone will be their most popular release yet, and at 15000 bottles will be harder to find than the previous .

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Are the bourbon God's smiling on me, or is that rain?

0802191341a.jpg

which location did you go to buy the OHLQ bottle?    Did they sell out?

20 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Are the bourbon God's smiling on me, or is that rain?

What do you think of the SAOS American whiskey?  I quite liked the K&L selection.  Very much bourbon like in character unlike the Barrell American whiskey which was very good but tasted like an amped up Mellow Corn. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

which location did you go to buy the OHLQ bottle?    Did they sell out?

Medina. There are about a dozen Ohio locations mentioned on the OHLQ web site.  Lots of bottles, so may be some still around. Good luck.

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

What do you think of the SAOS American whiskey?  I quite liked the K&L selection.  Very much bourbon like in character unlike the Barrell American whiskey which was very good but tasted like an amped up Mellow Corn. 

Had the 10yo  SAOS only once and it was good. It needed taming a bit with air time and a cube.  Haven't cracked open the OHLQ select yet.  Hoping I'm not disappointed.

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

Had the 10yo  SAOS only once and it was good. It needed taming a bit with air time and a cube.  Haven't cracked open the OHLQ select yet.  Hoping I'm not disappointed.

Wasn't the 10 yo an MGP sourced bourbon?  The 107 is a blend of MGP bourbon and Tennessee whiskey aged in shaved and re-charred second use barrels which is why it can't be labeled as bourbon.  It's going to be different than the SOAS 10 but I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Every time I have some WTRB I think to myself that it may be my favorite bourbon. Yet I rarely buy it for my home bar. Fixed that problem today. Also got some Staples: ER, BT, Witherspoon store select, Lone Elm Wheat Whiskey, FRSmB, and HW American praise. Oh, and a redemption wheated for my old man's bday tomorrow. Never had a redemption product, but apparently he likes the flagship so we'll see how this goes.

• I like it 3

Wasn't the 10 yo an MGP sourced bourbon?  The 107 is a blend of MGP bourbon and Tennessee whiskey aged in shaved and re-charred second use barrels which is why it can't be labeled as bourbon.  It's going to be different than the SOAS 10 but I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Interesting about the barrels, I assumed they couldn’t calm it Bourbon as it was blend of bourbon from two different states.

Every time I have some WTRB I think to myself that it may be my favorite bourbon. Yet I rarely buy it for my home bar. Fixed that problem today. Also got some Staples: ER, BT, Witherspoon store select, Lone Elm Wheat Whiskey, FRSmB, and HW American praise. Oh, and a redemption wheated for my old man's bday tomorrow. Never had a redemption product, but apparently he likes the flagship so we'll see how this goes.
I'm a fan of the Redemption Rye & Redemption High Rye...in fact I'm having my 1:1 blend right now! I've also had the bourbon and was a fan.

If you crack open the wheat, let us know what you think! It's the only one I haven't tried.

20 hours ago, jwperry said:

Texas hunt, vacation bourbons (and a rum!). Store picks on the right, stuff I can't find in FL on the left.

2 bottles didn't make the trip, crushed in transit. Now I have to figure out how to get whiskey smell out of a suitcase...IMG_20190803_005000750.jpg

Great find on the Decades! I would love to find another bottle!

Sorry for your loss. What didn’t make the trip?

Great find on the Decades! I would love to find another bottle!

Sorry for your loss. What didn’t make the trip?
Jim Beam Single Barrel store pick and Jack Daniel's experimental #1

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the smell of booze out of my suitcase.

Picked up some more of these at VA ABC for $15.99 each, while they are still available. This is my all-time favorite budget bourbon.

IMG_7337.JPG

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Jim Beam Single Barrel store pick and Jack Daniel's experimental #1

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the smell of booze out of my suitcase.

You could open it up, put it out in the sun.  Bring it in at night, or if there will be rain.  Do this several days.  Could also close it up with an open box of baking soda inside.

Reminds me of an old saying -

Don't cry over spilled milk.

It could have been whiskey.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.