What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a bad day at all. Stumbled onto these, and at good prices as well. GTS - $99.99, ORVW - $59.99. 

Just another example of you never know what, where and when you might find some nice bottles.

gts orvw.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 20

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Was definitely some good tips going around today in Illinois!

ooo... is the new release of “Old Outhouse” coming?

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Not a bad day at all. Stumbled onto these, and at good prices as well. GTS - $99.99, ORVW - $59.99. 

Just another example of you never know what, where and when you might find some nice bottles.

gts orvw.jpg

I would be crying in my milk if I wasn't drinking bourbon.  

• I like it 3

Well Vosgar kicked my .... today but I still feel fortunate to get several bottles at a 30% discount including OF1920 @$36, FRSiB @$26, KC @$19 and WT101 @ $15.  I didn't get greedy.  I bought my wife and son some Jose Cuervo Lite Margarita bottles to get the 6 bottle discount.  

• I like it 1

Friday night’s haul... The Bowman Port is out of the box for me having never indulged in anything port finished etc.. it’s been on the “to try” list and I’ve passed on several times when traveling.. the ER10 is ALWAYS out of stock at the local ABC’s, but stumbled on in abundance tonight.. absolutely LOVE the OFBIB 1897 and picked this up as an extra... the OFBIB is first on the slate! ;) 

4B5F2CAA-647C-47CE-B2B4-9E56D539AC17.jpeg

• I like it 4

Thanks to a tip from mbroo, I went to the same sale (different location).  I grabbed: EW BIB, WT 101, and FR SmB. ?

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yes it was.

Also thanks to a tip from Vosgar, I brought home some goodies too. ?

Biba! Joe

rw.jpeg

Great minds think alike!!

:P

6 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Great minds think alike!!

:P

If I was you, I would spend every free moment at Joe's.  ?

• I like it 1

Yes it was.

Also thanks to a tip from Vosgar, I brought home some goodies too. [emoji106]

Biba! Joe
rw.jpeg.4296e4a9b3a6d8f6b3a6a0865dc22d42.jpeg

491840437_gtsorvw.thumb.jpg.86f219e99b6ed14730b9858ebea4291c.jpg

What the heck is going on here? Those kinds of discoveries at this time of the year just don’t happen in my world. Congratulations!
  • I like it 6

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

gts orvw.jpg

Just happened to "stumble on" these, huh?  Umm, yeah.

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just happened to "stumble on" these, huh?  Umm, yeah.

He’s telling the truth. Honest........ ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

What the heck is going on here? Those kinds of discoveries at this time of the year just don’t happen in my world. Congratulations!

Agreed. So many questions. So jealous.

Pure speculation on my part, but I have a guess. A number of years ago the local distributor(s) and other powers that be decided to share the wealth. Restaurant and bar accounts started getting a large share of Pappy, BTAC, etc... The few stores that used to get "the goodies"  saw their allotments dwindle further when other liquor stores also started getting "the goodies".  I believe the distributors hold back products for their bar and restaurant accounts. If the bars and restaurants aren't going through their products in a timely manner, and there is a real or perceived surplus at the distributors, they'll dole out a few things from time to time. A bottle or two will just show up once in a great while. I've seen this happen a few times in the past, but never to this extent. The trick is to be at the liquor store at the right time. As luck would have it Vosgar showed up at the right place at the right time. The usual for me is the scenario,"Oh man. We had some good stuff but it's all gone. You should have been here yesterday."

Mucho thanks to Vosgar in helping out his SB brethren.  ?:D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Pure speculation on my part, but I have a guess. A number of years ago the local distributor(s) and other powers that be decided to share the wealth. Restaurant and bar accounts started getting a large share of Pappy, BTAC, etc... The few stores that used to get "the goodies"  saw their allotments dwindle further when other liquor stores also started getting "the goodies".  I believe the distributors hold back products for their bar and restaurant accounts. If the bars and restaurants aren't going through their products in a timely manner, and there is a real or perceived surplus at the distributors, they'll dole out a few things from time to time. A bottle or two will just show up once in a great while. I've seen this happen a few times in the past, but never to this extent. The trick is to be at the liquor store at the right time. As luck would have it Vosgar showed up at the right place at the right time. The usual for me is the scenario,"Oh man. We had some good stuff but it's all gone. You should have been here yesterday."

Biba! Joe

^^^Yes Yes ^^^What Joe said^^^ I was once a recipient of this scenario but of course that was long ago and far away. :) 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I don't think it's speculation. It happens here as well and the owner of my local tells me when it does.

After seeing the scoring by the masses, I scouted the limited choices of Gilligan's Island here, but at least scooped a W107. The first that has been on the shelves here.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Well Vosgar kicked my .... today but I still feel fortunate to get several bottles at a 30% discount including OF1920 @$36, FRSiB @$26, KC @$19 and WT101 @ $15.  I didn't get greedy.  I bought my wife and son some Jose Cuervo Lite Margarita bottles to get the 6 bottle discount.  

Yea, but those prices! Excellent!!!

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2019 at 4:52 PM, Galvin0791 said:

Thanks to a tip from Vosgar, I brought home some goodies today.

:D

20190816_162337.jpg

wish i would have gotten a tip like that! great score!

• I like it 1

I'm loving the thought that bars and restaurants aren't using up their allocations.

Perhaps the novelty of paying $50+ per pour "because I'll never see it otherwise!" is finally wearing off.

Maybe you all will see more in the field this year.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm loving the thought that bars and restaurants aren't using up their allocations.

Perhaps the novelty of paying $50+ per pour "because I'll never see it otherwise!" is finally wearing off.

Maybe you all will see more in the field this year.

There’s one restaurant in our area that gets (more than?) its fair share of Pappy, etc... Yeah, it’s available at one or more of the bars, but most of it is kept on display in a locked cabinet. The owners personal collection? <_< Vosgar posted a picture of it here in a thread a while back.

Biba! Joe

Picked up these 2 on a trip out of state yesterday.. Passed on some other things, I didn’t see too much that I didn’t already have and at more then unacceptable prices as well. OGDBIB purchased as a back up, the OGD114 was reasonable enough and hasn’t been accessible to me in awhile. 

A0806B99-22C5-4EF0-BE2D-DF89CF5E8B91.jpeg

• I like it 2

.....Passed on some other things, I didn’t see too much that I didn’t already have and at more then unacceptable prices as well....

I guess Alabama prices aren’t so bad after all.

9 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I guess Alabama prices aren’t so bad after all.

Not an entirely inaccurate comment, however the problem lies within the retailers who gouge on items they feel can command it.. The “everyday” pours found within a buck or so of each other.. Saw though HMK10 at $89.00, CEHT SmB $117.00, and WTRB at $68.00.. The list goes on..

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There’s one restaurant in our area that gets (more than?) its fair share of Pappy, etc... Yeah, it’s available at one or more of the bars, but most of it is kept on display in a locked cabinet. The owners personal collection? <_< Vosgar posted a picture of it here in a thread a while back.

Biba! Joe

I remember that post.  That was just obscene.  Seems like the distributor would not be ok with something like...but then again they sold it so maybe they don't care. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.