What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found a place off the beaten path that had some of these left so I thought I might as well put a few in the bunker. 

667CB4B0-8BB4-4B0A-8CDA-1A93A9872FAD.jpeg

• I like it 10

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There’s one restaurant in our area that gets (more than?) its fair share of Pappy, etc... Yeah, it’s available at one or more of the bars, but most of it is kept on display in a locked cabinet. The owners personal collection? <_< Vosgar posted a picture of it here in a thread a while back.

Biba! Joe

Joe's referring to this one. Haven't been back to the restaurant since I took this picture to see how much, if at all, its changed

20181204_190338.jpg

• I like it 5

On 8/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, Galvin0791 said:

Thanks to a tip from Vosgar, I brought home some goodies today.

:D

20190816_162337.jpg

It is great to have friends like Vosgar!  It looks like you, Joe and Vosgar can now play "If you show me yours, I will show you mine."

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Joe's referring to this one. Haven't been back to the restaurant since I took this picture to see how much, if at all, its changed

20181204_190338.jpg

I do remember this post. Begs asking why the distributor continues to bring more when the current stock (at the gouge price) is more than enough? He is showing the ignorance of the distributor as much as his own. 

I guess he could be buying secondary and having to mark it double that? :) 

• I like it 1

Saw Baker's at Liquor Barn Saturday for $60.99.  Pass.  Saw it later that day at Costco for $39.99.  Grabbed two as well as an EW SiB at 8 years.

• I like it 2

Man. Jealous of my Illinois compatriots. 

I picked up a Binnys pick of Kentucky Spirit this weekend. 

• I like it 2

IMG_3225.jpg

My friend muled these back from Kentucky for me after dropping his daughter off at college. We opened his Four Roses and both found it pretty complex and interesting. Not fantastic necessarily but really good and just lots going on to decipher between the spice and the fruity finish.

• I like it 5

21 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_3225.jpg

My friend muled these back from Kentucky for me after dropping his daughter off at college. We opened his Four Roses and both found it pretty complex and interesting. Not fantastic necessarily but really good and just lots going on to decipher between the spice and the fruity finish.

I’m as big a Four Roses guy as anyone, but I’d take a good 1792 FP pick over that SBS 99 days out of 100. 

Picked up this 14YO Knob Creek Store pick. Looking forward to trying it.   Had the Old Forester 1920 at a buddies house recently and found it to be fantastic so I picked up a bottle at the same time.P8211484a.thumb.jpg.4b6f0ba4280bb4b1aff5fe6c372c9f0e.jpg

• I like it 2

I’m as big a Four Roses guy as anyone, but I’d take a good 1792 FP pick over that SBS 99 days out of 100. 

This for sure especially at the prices. I enjoyed the SBS a lot but I love the 1792 FP and it was $20 cheaper. Haven’t cracked it yet to see if it is as good as my Binny’s pick I have open.
  • I like it 1

A 375 of WT101 to decide if I want to pick up a RB on sale where I am traveling for work. Based on this, yes please at $35 for the RB. Not sure why I waited to long to try this.

IMG_3161.thumb.jpg.8ef63f9fc99f8e5bb1b053e950f1036b.jpg

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

A 375 of WT101 to decide if I want to pick up a RB on sale where I am traveling for work. Based on this, yes please at $35 for the RB. Not sure why I waited to long to try this.

Definitely grab a pair. For some reason I dont currently have a bottle of WTRB myself. I'll probably remedy that before Saturday evening. 

• I like it 1

“I once was blind but now I see.”

Now the real fun begins. This stuff also goes better with cigars.
  • I like it 2

Scooped a couple bottles of OWA from a barrel I helped my local select a few months ago.   Been so long I don't recall anything about the profile, other than two of the possibilities were interesting, and the chosen one was the top pick of 5 out of the six tasters.    I'll open one in a few days, probably.

• I like it 1

1.75 liter Eagle Rare at Bevmo for $44.99 after $10 off coupon.  $50.01 OTD.  Very happy... :)

big eagle.jpg

• I like it 7

Stumbled across two more Dickel 13 Year BIB, an Age Stated Virgin 7 yr, and just for shits and giggles, a Fighting Cock 103 (which I am liking more than the first time I tried it).

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, BDanner said:

Stumbled across two more Dickel 13 Year BIB, an Age Stated Virgin 7 yr, and just for shits and giggles, a Fighting Cock 103 (which I am liking more than the first time I tried it).

Gotta love FC.  I use it in cocktails, in place of rye, but I like on its own just fine.

28 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

Gotta love FC.  I use it in cocktails, in place of rye, but I like on its own just fine.

I am really enjoying it. It's a little sweet for my taste, but it does remind me a little of OGD114 when I add a large cube of ice, even though it isn't technically a high rye bourbon.

Picked up a Murray hill batch 7 today from a friend.  It’s the old bottle style, kinda like weller bottles.  

@WhiskeyBlender - anything unique about this batch?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, AndyD said:

Picked up a Murray hill batch 7 today from a friend.  It’s the old bottle style, kinda like weller bottles.  

@WhiskeyBlender - anything unique about this batch?

@AndyD, could you look at the side of the bottle and tell me how many bottles were in the batch? I know that sounds like a strange way to figure out more details about a batch, but that will help me be able to give you some feedback on it. What I generally do is to make a big "coupe mere," or mother blend, which will marry in a stainless tank over several months. What gets bottled as a batch comes from this larger coupe, if that makes sense. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@AndyD, could you look at the side of the bottle and tell me how many bottles were in the batch? I know that sounds like a strange way to figure out more details about a batch, but that will help me be able to give you some feedback on it. What I generally do is to make a big "coupe mere," or mother blend, which will marry in a stainless tank over several months. What gets bottled as a batch comes from this larger coupe, if that makes sense. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Thank you Nancy!  Here’s some pics.  I just had never seen this bottle style.

1EF2D0AB-37CB-4DAD-BF86-947894A21132.jpeg

0200B0DC-561F-4FA1-9920-37D4FEE1B754.jpeg

7 hours ago, BDanner said:

I am really enjoying it. It's a little sweet for my taste, but it does remind me a little of OGD114 when I add a large cube of ice, even though it isn't technically a high rye bourbon.

Another example of differing palates.  I don't find it overly sweet, although I can see the comparison to OGD 114.   I think I prefer the 114 t to FC.  

3 hours ago, AndyD said:

Thank you Nancy!  Here’s some pics.  I just had never seen this bottle style.

1EF2D0AB-37CB-4DAD-BF86-947894A21132.jpeg

0200B0DC-561F-4FA1-9920-37D4FEE1B754.jpeg

@AndyD, thanks for the pics. So, that would have been either the first or second coupe of Murray Hill Club, before I slightly modified the recipe. I was still using about 29% light whiskey (by the PG) in the blend back then. I can’t remember if that was 2 or 3 years ago, but at any rate, the majority of the blend would have had that, plus about 11 year old 21% recipe MGP and the oldest component would have been the 21% MGP when it was 18 years old. 

I found that it didn’t stand up to ice very well, so I had to modify the recipe to make it more stable. 

All I had to go on in order to create the recipe in the first place were turn of the century adds (early 1900’s) that described in very nebulous terms what the original whiskey was like. It sure wasn’t easy trying to figure it out! 

As for the different bottle style, that’s because the shipment of the custom bottles didn’t arrive on time and product had to get out the door. Lol

Hope that helps. The sweetness you’re picking up is probably from the light whiskey. It definitely has a lot of browned butter and butterscotch notes.

cheers,

nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.