What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:23 AM, HoustonNit said:

Nancy is “Rancio” a French term, sounds Spanish? I wouldn’t mind trying some of these well aged French brandies with some rancio.

@HoustonNit, if I remember correctly it is actually an Italian term. But it is used quite frequently in the brandy world. It is cognate with the word “rancid,” although the aroma isn’t what we usually think of as “rancid” because it isn’t negative.  It is more of a hazelnut, almond, blue cheese, kind of fatty note. 

Cognacs that have rancid notes will usually be at least 10 to 15 years old or older, and will have been distilled on the lees (i.e., dead or residual yeast cells which have a lot of fatty acids). If you want to get a general idea of what non- lees vs. lees (known as “sue lie) Cognac is like, try some Martel Cordon Bleu against Remy Martin XO. These aren’t fantastic Cognacs, but you’ll get the basic idea of the difference. Generally, brandies that have been fermented and distilled sur lie will can mature for much longer because they have the requisite fatty acids. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 3

On 8/16/2019 at 4:49 AM, OldScoutGuy said:

We need a 'Dear Nancy' thread

@OldScoutGuy, I'd be happy to do it if the Powers-that-Be are game. It would be a way for people to ask and discuss production & technical questions & issues about Bourbon and in general whiskey or other brown spirits production without gunking up other threads. ?

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 3

Walked through the old Liquor store after coming from work and saw this gem for $45; is this really a 15yr old Knob Creek...

Thanks for your any info...

296236030_knobcreek-2.thumb.jpg.a9740c031cbb9da298c1c17bdfb1ba04.jpg

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, AndyD said:

@WhiskeyBlender - as always Nancy, I appreciate your information.  It means a lot that you take time out of your busy schedule to answer questions here.  

My pleasure @AndyD! I broke my ankle last month, so quite honestly, I've had to be parked at home on my couch with my leg elevated. I've "busily" watched a lot of Netflix for the past month! Lol ?

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 2

Just like they did for the Booker's reset, it looks like Beam has had the distributor empty the warehouses. 

While it's available... Baker's (x 2) @ $39.99.   

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, JvW said:

Walked through the old Liquor store after coming from work and saw this gem for $45; is this really a 15yr old Knob Creek...

If you’re asking if it’s 15 years, yes it’s right on the label.  I’ve seen more than a handful of 15y KC hit my area in the last year.

4 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

My pleasure @AndyD! I broke my ankle last month, so quite honestly, I've had to be parked at home on my couch with my leg elevated. I've "busily" watched a lot of Netflix for the past month! Lol ?

Very sorry to hear that, get well soon Nancy!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, JvW said:

It appears to be a new store pick program.     A month ago I picked up a 14-year single barrel from Joe Canal's, here in South Jersey.    Just about the same price.    Last week I did a side-by-side with a Bookers (Backyard BBQ) about half its age.   Both were excellent,  and for me an interesting lesson on the kind of differences wrought by extra aging and expert batch-blending.   

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, AndyD said:

If you’re asking if it’s 15 years, yes it’s right on the label.  I’ve seen more than a handful of 15y KC hit my area in the last year.

I was rather surprised to see an old(er) Knob Creek for this price and just wanted to make sure I read the label right.  Looking forward trying it...

• I like it 1

So, one local store is now releasing its 4R picks lottery style, since they’ve become so popular.

Luckily part of the release was biased towards regular  4 roses purchasers/supporters of the store (they track your purchases in their rewards club),  so all that yellow label I drink regularly paid off. 

Got a 10+y OESK and an 8+y OBSK.  Also got to taste both and initial impressions are very good, especially the OESK, which has a nice oaky flavor. 

The liter of BT was only $28, so why not. 

Ive been really enjoying BT Manhattans lately. 

2E83BCD1-41E5-49E5-9347-617523AF040D.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 5

17 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

How is the palate doing?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

So, one local store is now releasing its 4R picks lottery style, since they’ve become so popular.

Luckily part of the release was biased towards regular  4 roses purchasers/supporters of the store (they track your purchases in their rewards club),  so all that yellow label I drink regularly paid off. 

Got a 10+y OESK and an 8+y OBSK.  Also got to taste both and initial impressions are very good, especially the OESK, which has a nice oaky flavor. 

The liter of BT was only $28, so why not. 

Ive been really enjoying BT Manhattans lately. 

I was selected for the FRSB as well, even though I haven't purchased any Four Roses there.  I guess my other spending balanced things out ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Got a 10+y OESK and an 8+y OBSK. 

Good to see OBSK appear again.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

How is the palate doing?

Hey @flahute, thankfully it is SLOWLY but surely coming back! The stronger and healthier my ankle feels, my palate seems to follow suit. ?

Last night I was finally able to sit down and truly enjoy a few Bourbons without it just tasting hot and oaky. In fact, that was the first night I've really had much of anything since my accident. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 6

1 minute ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @flahute, thankfully it is SLOWLY but surely coming back! The stronger and healthier my ankle feels, my palate seems to follow suit. ?

Last night I was finally able to sit down and truly enjoy a few Bourbons without it just tasting hot and oaky. In fact, that was the first night I've really had much of anything since my accident. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Glad to hear ALL is rounding into form, Nancy.   Hang in there.   ;)

I know it is really a PiTA when you're off your feet... not to mention off your game with the taste buddies.   :o    Better Days Ahead!  :)

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Richnimrod said:

Glad to hear ALL is rounding into form, Nancy.   Hang in there.   ;)

I know it is really a PiTA when you're off your feet... not to mention off your game with the taste buddies.   :o    Better Days Ahead!  :)

Many thanks @Richnimrod! I was really afraid that the palate was gone. Can't imagine enjoying life the same way without it! ?

• I like it 1

Pulled the trigger on some WTRB while on travel for work. $10 off. $37 and change OTD.
IMG_3198.jpg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

This is good news. We are all wishing you the best in your recovery. We NEED you.

59 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Some oldies...

Paul......you have to give us the details on this buy

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Paul......you have to give us the details on this buy

Several months of UK (legal) auction results.

You should see the rums in the rum section ;)

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 3

9 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Several months of UK (legal) auction results.

You should see the rums in the rum section ;)

Let's also talk about that sound system I see in the background.

• I like it 2

Just now, flahute said:

Let's also talk about that sound system I see in the background.

I keep telling you guys to come over...

Just now, The Black Tot said:

I keep telling you guys to come over...

ISO plane ticket to London.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.