What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got British Airways miles to use up, but you never know where in the world, literally, Paul is from one week to the next :D

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I've got British Airways miles to use up, but you never know where in the world, literally, Paul is from one week to the next :D

So true!

• I like it 2

I'm here for the next 2.5 weeks...

Like Jim Morrison said about the West - Just get here, we'll do the rest.

• I like it 2

I've got British Airways miles to use up, but you never know where in the world, literally, Paul is from one week to the next [emoji3]

Keeping track of Paul is like finding Waldo on a map of the world! [emoji23]
  • I like it 1

The spoils of our states “Limited Release Sweepstakes” yesterday in Montgomery. 

A5205D07-4C96-4439-9079-CD374679AA72.jpeg

• I like it 5

31 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Yeah, I didn’t “make the cut”. :( Congrats... ;) 

• I like it 1

Well, it was shopping day today, so y'all know what that means. ? A quick trip to the Costco that opened this past Friday, plus our regular stop. 

Biba! Joe

kw1.jpeg

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Yeah, I didn’t “make the cut”. :( Congrats... ;) 

Haha thanks.  You would have scored something even though you hadn’t been picked.  They had plenty of product there. They did a really good job organizing the thing. 

6 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Haha thanks.  You would have scored something even though you hadn’t been picked.  They had plenty of product there. They did a really good job organizing the thing. 

Gotcha.. when I realized that I wasn’t “making the team” I undertook an event we were having at work Saturday soooo that was that.. How far are you from Montg’y if you don’t mind me asking? I’m about an hour/15 north..

• I like it 1

Well, it was shopping day today, so y'all know what that means. [emoji12] A quick trip to the Costco that opened this past Friday, plus our regular stop. 

Biba! Joe

kw1.jpeg.41055de7648acf16f7b51af83a5276f3.jpeg

I hope you enjoy that Kirkland Dickel “bourbon”!

1 hour ago, hollywood said:

Gotcha.. when I realized that I wasn’t “making the team” I undertook an event we were having at work Saturday soooo that was that.. How far are you from Montg’y if you don’t mind me asking? I’m about an hour/15 north..

We’re practically neighbors then. :D

I’m in Birmingham. 

1 hour ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

We’re practically neighbors then. :D

I’m in Birmingham. 

Really?!! Sounds good.. For some reason I was thinking you lived in GA.. I work in G’dale just north a few minutes.. 

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Really?!! Sounds good.. For some reason I was thinking you lived in GA.. I work in G’dale just north a few minutes.. 

Sounds like we need to get together sometime and do some bourbon tasting, huh? B)

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

On 8/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, Richnimrod said:

Scooped a couple bottles of OWA from a barrel I helped my local select a few months ago.   Been so long I don't recall anything about the profile, other than two of the possibilities were interesting, and the chosen one was the top pick of 5 out of the six tasters.    I'll open one in a few days, probably.

Okay, here's the lowdown, after trying the new pick SBS with a 'shelf' OWA....

Quick report is that the pick was pretty damned good, though not in a radically different way than any other OWA, somewhat more subtle than that.   

I won't go into any great detail since it's already sold out and not available for purchase anyway.   Suffice it to say the additional caramel, clove hint, and lower heat made it an easy choice against the 'shelf' pour.   The finish was somewhat longer, as well.    ...And, it took water waaaay better than the 'shelf' offering.   

I'll bring a bottle to B'town in a few weex when Gary and I show up at the GN, so anybody there can pass their own judgement.

Quick report is that the pick was pretty damned good, though not in a radically different way than any other OWA, somewhat more subtle than that.   
I won't go into any great detail since it's already sold out and not available for purchase anyway.   Suffice it to say the additional caramel, clove hint, and lower heat made it an easy choice against the 'shelf' pour.   The finish was somewhat longer, as well.    ...And, it took water waaaay better than the 'shelf' offering.   
I'll bring a bottle to B'town in a few weex when Gary and I show up at the GN, so anybody there can pass their own judgement.

Where you able to get it NCF?

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I hope you enjoy that Kirkland Dickel “bourbon”!

a friend gave me a nearly-full bottle of that once. i ended up using it to slow-cook pork shoulder...just cant do the flintstones...

a friend gave me a nearly-full bottle of that once. i ended up using it to slow-cook pork shoulder...just cant do the flintstones...

I’m actually a Dickel fan, but not everyone realizes that the Kirkland “Bourbon” from Tennessee is sourced from Dickel...flintstones vitamins and all.

I also think it’s humorous that many folks (especially the distilleries in Kentucky) dispute whether Dickel and JD are bourbon when in their respective brand name Tennessee Whiskey bottles, but very few question the plethora of NDP Bourbon brands out there that are sourced from Dickel these days.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Where you able to get it NCF?

Sadly; no. 

This is among the 4-or-5-best examples of OWA that I've ever had, though.   I'd say it's possibly about second or third all time; but, it's hard to say without any of the ones I think may be better left to actually compare it with. 

I wound up watering to low-nineties-proof and it was still very full-flavored.   It may well take even more water and still hold up. 

I wish I had a couple cases!    The barrel only yielded 7 cases (12-each).   ...Or maybe the distributor helped himself... or the distillery?    Anyway, as they say; "It's just whiskey, so drink it up!"

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

That's  a great looking  picture.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm not very crazy about regular stock OWA but I had a private pick that rivals WLW. Maybe not in complexity  but definitely  in rich flavor and mouthfeel. Too bad I can rarely ever find a PS of OWA l, they are always gone 30 minutes  after stores open, while the rest of us are at work.

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm not very crazy about regular stock OWA but I had a private pick that rivals WLW. Maybe not in complexity  but definitely  in rich flavor and mouthfeel. Too bad I can rarely ever find a PS of OWA l, they are always gone 30 minutes  after stores open, while the rest of us are at work.

Opposite for me.  Pretty much all of the PS  ive had have been a letdown...super hot.  Maybe ive gotten lucky with my regulars but theyve been pretty dang great except for one or two.  Maybe we can work something out

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

How old are those Fitz 1849?

Probably 1990s

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Opposite for me.  Pretty much all of the PS  ive had have been a letdown...super hot. 

I too have had the super hot OWA pick experience.

It's definitely not a slam dunk.

Edited by The Black Tot

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.