What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Did you get that at Michters in Louisville?

Nope. Popped in to a Binnys and it was sitting out on the shelf. 

• I like it 1

You happy now? [emoji14]. For the record this stuff is really good.  Reminds me a lot of PHC 11.
20190918_192902-784x1613.thumb.jpg.32372efc3445523c7885d38dec091e91.jpg

Oh wow sign me up. I need to talk to my coworker Uchida Son and see if he can hook me up next time he’s home.
  • I like it 1

We need a what did you pull from the bunker today thread. Intend to open all these over the next week starting with the Turkey right now.

IMG_8101.jpg

EC and BT are PS, the EC a 9yr Pick with a low barrel proof. I’m of the oddball opinion that EC SB PS at 9 or 10 year is better than the 12 year stuff I had before they removed the age. I actually thought the EC PS was a safer bet than the McKenna even when it was available.

• I like it 3

We need a what did you pull from the bunker today thread. Intend to open all these over the next week starting with the Turkey right now.

IMG_8101.thumb.jpg.53e132e1adfb3aa8a116ccd17e84ec83.jpg

EC and BT are PS, the EC a 9yr Pick with a low barrel proof. I’m of the oddball opinion that EC SB PS at 9 or 10 year is better than the 12 year stuff I had before they removed the age. I actually thought the EC PS was a safer bet than the McKenna even when it was available.

You know...as much as I hate to admit it, I can’t disagree with your comments on the EC or the Henry McKenna. I am a fan boy of EC12, and have quite a few bunkered, but I will admit that occasionally you would find a bottle from a batch that was too oaky. However, I still like most of the bottles of EC12 that I’ve had better than most of the EC Small Batch Private Selections that I’ve had. And it has been discussed multiple times on SB that you will find the occasional so-so Barrel of Henry McKenna, so I can see where choosing an EC PS is the safer choice.

38 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_8101.jpg

But that Decades. . . Soo good

But that Decades. . . Soo good

The Decades is a whole other class to those. I think that’s my last EC PS, do have some 12 years left and won’t be buying anymore. BT is my favorite offering from BT other than the obvious unicorns like BTAC. W12 is great for what it’s supposed to be but not nearly worth the hype and I won’t be hunting for anymore.

Decades damn it’s good but three times or more the price of others so not a fair comparison.
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

VA had a 20% off special on some items today and it led to the following purchase.

IMG_1586.jpg

I doubled up on the JAM with an online order yesterday at the discount price and am sitting here waiting for "my store" to call me.  The ABC website says they have it sitting on the shelves this AM so the phone should ring any second now.  Any second.  It's for a family Thanksgiving mess.

• I like it 1

Cornerstone for a friend. I would love another bottle, but it’s so darn expensive. Gonna wait and see how the Fall season goes. 

This B519 batch is great so I’m happy to pick up another at a reasonable price. 

6BBAC406-EC02-46FA-8B33-6CDFDE0412F3.jpeg

On 9/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, HoustonNit said:

On 9/19/2019 at 6:13 PM, lcpfratn said:

You know...as much as I hate to admit it, I can’t disagree with your comments on the EC or the Henry McKenna. I am a fan boy of EC12, and have quite a few bunkered, but I will admit that occasionally you would find a bottle from a batch that was too oaky. However, I still like most of the bottles of EC12 that I’ve had better than most of the EC Small Batch Private Selections that I’ve had. And it has been discussed multiple times on SB that you will find the occasional so-so Barrel of Henry McKenna, so I can see where choosing an EC PS is the safer choice.

Why is this so controversial or an oddball opinion?  The EC PS are hand picked barrels and should be better than mass produced EC12.   It's literally that simple folks.

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Why is this so controversial or an oddball opinion?  The EC PS are hand picked barrels and should be better than mass produced EC12.   It's literally that simple folks.

One comment, Kepler....

What "should be" isn't always what IS.   

I've tasted more than a few samples with the aim of selecting a barrel for purchase.   Not all of 'em  were anything special.     In fact, more than a few were downright lousy in comparison to the profile expected of the brand under review.   Further, I've tried more than a few tastes from private selections that were supposedly carefully chosen and found 'em ordinary . . . or not even as good as that.   

I'm certain that some of this is due to palate preferences being different from person to person, and/or palates varying from day to day; but some of it is just because nothing decent was available in the choices provided, yet the pressure to buy a barrel superseded the downside of getting crummy juice.

Soooo, in my experience the outcome isn't as obvious as an ideal world would dictate.    In other words, maybe not 'literally that simple'...?   

My hat is off to everybody who has always had wonderful results, though.   And, my hope springs more or less eternal that my future experiences will all be good ones.  ?

• I like it 4

Well yeah but the impression I get is most folks here seem to prefer the 12 year.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, JoeTerp said:

VA had a 20% off special on some items today and it led to the following purchase.

IMG_1586.jpg

I picked up the John J. Bowman as well.  Great stuff.

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Picked this up at Costco - all cask strength

51AA68A0-992A-4CAC-B600-F212C7769F6F.jpeg

Just curious (I paid 'top dollar' for my set at the distillery), what did it set you back at Costco, jvd99?     

Coincidentally, I'm about to get into 'em right now.    I gave my liver a rest after "the Bardstown binge" last weekend. HA!

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Just curious (I paid 'top dollar' for my set at the distillery), what did it set you back at Costco, jvd99?     

Coincidentally, I'm about to get into 'em right now.    I gave my liver a rest after "the Bardstown binge" last weekend. HA!

It was around 70 with tax.  

Rich, What did they run at the distillery?

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, What did they run at the distillery?

If I remember correctly, with tax, it came to just under $90.   So, I guess the gift shop retail must have been around $85.

Incidentally, having uncorked and sampled the two I really  wanted (already had several Maker's CS), I have to say they are very nice examples of what Maker's can do.   

Now, if they'd only allow a few barrels to sit still on a high floor for an extra few years . . . . . and bottle those at barrel proof . . . . ........

• I like it 4

Well I’d technically rye but barely legal, so anywhoo, go Turkey. I’ve also really enjoyed this barrel F of RR PS. Bought one from the tire a few months back and was happy to see it still there.

IMG_8108.jpg

Well I’d technically rye but barely legal, so anywhoo, go Turkey. I’ve also really enjoyed this barrel F of RR PS. Bought one from the tire a few months back and was happy to see it still there.

IMG_8108.thumb.jpg.3abd6fed3d3854ee616c4abe23c5abff.jpg

Man wish I could edit my grammar, sorry, think the issue was I was completely sober.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.