What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/21/2019 at 5:46 AM, HoustonNit said:

Well yeah but the impression I get is most folks here seem to prefer the 12 year.

I'd say that most prefer the 12yr to off the shelf NAS. Private Selections on the other hand should be great assuming the picking team had good barrels to choose from and that they collectively have good palates.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

New York as always is full of surprises— $149.00 on the shelf. Now I have to get it home. 

60D5B56B-4B30-45FF-B3E6-5B85EEA7D1CF.thumb.jpeg.4c04e637f06308d089b1d1f1dbf60038.jpeg

Unbelievable that in today's crazy buying environment, you can still find a '17 LE on the shelf in Sept. of '19.

12 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Last years?

No, 2017. It was tucked away on a random shelf with the dusty craft garbage. Over MSRP but not by much. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

No, 2017. It was tucked away on a random shelf with the dusty craft garbage. Over MSRP but not by much. 

WoW!!!! :o   Nice find, and very decent price, I'd opine.   Good on ya', Buddy!  ?

I had last years 134th Anniversary bottle and on a trip with friends to Gatlinburg we tried it vs OKI12 and EHTBP and found the 134th lacking.  I was able to sell it for what I paid even after 3 of us tried.  Was not a fan at all, especially at the 145$ price paid. 

EH Taylor, ER and Woodford Double Oaked to me are great bourbons at a good price, starting to pass more on the 100$ plus bottles.

That being said I would drop 150 to 200 for some GTS as it's on another level every time I have at a restaurant.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:32 PM, Marekv8 said:

New York as always is full of surprises— $149.00 on the shelf. Now I have to get it home. 

60D5B56B-4B30-45FF-B3E6-5B85EEA7D1CF.thumb.jpeg.4c04e637f06308d089b1d1f1dbf60038.jpeg

Real nice run you have been on, congrats!

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Real nice run you have been on, congrats!

The bad news is that I lost two of my favorite crusty CT liquor stores to closure and a third has a new set of owners with different sensibilities-- so goodbye to the low-hanging fruit. New York has reached new levels, with $600 Weller CYPB (at the very same store I grabbed it for $47 a year ago) and $1,000 Mongolian Oak.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:28 PM, LCWoody said:

EW and Michters in Louisville, 

Do you need to do a tour in order to be able to purchase the EW bottles?  Have a mule err friend headed down there this weekend.  Could get him to swing by gift shop, less likely if a tour is required.  The Master's blend in particular intrigues me.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:28 PM, Marekv8 said:

Weird group, mostly for gifting prior to hitting the airport — as I’ve passed the threshold for what I can bring home on Delta. I needed the #3 Blade and Bow key to complete my set in advance of my visit later this week. 

6E072DC3-C974-400B-B687-250FC6270991.thumb.jpeg.eab43ae147bb3c3cedbb9c6596976ab4.jpeg

Have you tried the Mic Drop?  Curious to hear thoughts.  

On 9/15/2019 at 9:39 PM, Supercharger said:

It may be just anothe MGB, but damn this has been singing this weekend. I put a hurtin on it.  

AE1C2BE1-1678-4534-BA56-2479E24A318E.jpeg

One of my favorites and my gateway MGP bourbon.  So sad I missed the OKI, SAOS and BM runs entirely.  Clinging to my bottles of Blaum as through they were Pappy 20!  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Do you need to do a tour in order to be able to purchase the EW bottles?  Have a mule err friend headed down there this weekend.  Could get him to swing by gift shop, less likely if a tour is required.  The Master's blend in particular intrigues me.

No, just go to gift shop.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:13 PM, lcpfratn said:

I am a fan boy of EC12, and have quite a few bunkered, but I will admit that occasionally you would find a bottle from a batch that was too oaky. 

Super easy problem to fix. Splash in some Evan Williams Black, and enjoy.

• I like it 3

On 9/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, Richnimrod said:

One comment, Kepler....

What "should be" isn't always what IS.   

I've tasted more than a few samples with the aim of selecting a barrel for purchase.   Not all of 'em  were anything special.     In fact, more than a few were downright lousy in comparison to the profile expected of the brand under review.   Further, I've tried more than a few tastes from private selections that were supposedly carefully chosen and found 'em ordinary . . . or not even as good as that.   

I'm certain that some of this is due to palate preferences being different from person to person, and/or palates varying from day to day; but some of it is just because nothing decent was available in the choices provided, yet the pressure to buy a barrel superseded the downside of getting crummy juice.

Soooo, in my experience the outcome isn't as obvious as an ideal world would dictate.    In other words, maybe not 'literally that simple'...?   

My hat is off to everybody who has always had wonderful results, though.   And, my hope springs more or less eternal that my future experiences will all be good ones.  ?

THIS is some wisdom right here. Often times the truth is that unless you're in a "superclub", there are often times where the distillery sees if they can unload some pretty unbalanced stuff. 

In four picks I've been part of, only one yielded something I would call special, and it was only reasonably special.

I'm a tough customer on a pick, but that's precisely the POINT.

This year I'm hanging back while it's still such a seller's market.

I've never been on a pick where a barrel didn't get bought - But I would only have bought one of them, and just as a good pour, not a legend.

The picks have always been a good time, though. So I'd do any that I was invited to (and of course respect the pick leader's objectives)

Edited by The Black Tot

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Have you tried the Mic Drop?  Curious to hear thoughts.  

Sorry, I gifted it during that trip. I’m sure I’ll run across another bottle soon. 

On 9/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, Supercharger said:

935B63F0-8843-4188-B356-F1929BEEA101.jpeg

What are your thoughts?  Have an option to pick this up, but have zero info. Other then its released by Michters. . . 

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sorry, I gifted it during that trip. I’m sure I’ll run across another bottle soon. 

No problem. I picked one up today and will likely give it a go this weekend 

16 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

No problem. I picked one up today and will likely give it a go this weekend 

Nice. I thought the first two releases were quite good— but this one is a comparative youngster. At least this one is accessible. 

36 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What are your thoughts?  Have an option to pick this up, but have zero info. Other then its released by Michters. . . 

I haven’t had a chance to open it yet. Had SARS or pig flu or something, so after I got better I’ve been trying to kill the rest of the virus with a fiery 60% OESV FRPS. 

That whiskey is a sourced product purely to be instrumental in Michter's claiming two more Pennsylvania brand names that they don't want Pennsylvanians to have.

You can read my advanced comments in the other thread about "Do you know what this is?"

• I like it 4

On 9/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, jvd99 said:

Picked this up at Costco - all cask strength

51AA68A0-992A-4CAC-B600-F212C7769F6F.jpeg

Where did you find that?!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw Bib & Tucker Bourbon for the first time. 

Any comments on it before I run out and buy bottle?

19 minutes ago, Uncle Dave said:

I just saw Bib & Tucker Bourbon for the first time. 

Any comments on it before I run out and buy bottle?

I've only had this one time, as a neat pour in a restaurant bar around six months ago, or so.  My recollection is that it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't particularly notable, either.  Of course, individual palates vary.  If you know of a nearby bar that stocks it, you might want to try it before investing in a whole bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.