What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got this pair earlier this week.  Already cracked one of these too and am enjoying it quite a bit.  Good on its own and really impressive for a 4 year old.

IMG_1602.jpg

• I like it 2

Picked this up at Costco - all cask strength

51AA68A0-992A-4CAC-B600-F212C7769F6F.thumb.jpeg.c9d4e4c1e759516265ed19430e62411b.jpeg

Just curious I thought the Rob Samuels picks where all Maker’s Mark 46 staves? If so wouldn’t that essentially make the middle and end bottles the same? I still want this just find it odd.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Just curious I thought the Rob Samuels picks where all Maker’s Mark 46 staves? If so wouldn’t that essentially make the middle and end bottles the same? I still want this just find it odd.

I think you’re thinking of the Bill Samuels gift shop pick.

The Rob is not all 46 staves in the Costco pack. 

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

I think you’re thinking of the Bill Samuels gift shop pick.

The Rob is not all 46 staves in the Costco pack. 

Yes thank you!

Picked up the ECBP B519 release yesterday. Anyone tried this one yet? Looking forward to comparing it to the A119. 

I’ll gladly keep picking these 12 year old Barrel Proofers at $54.99 when comparable bottles are going for much more than that lately. 

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I can confirm it isn't CS 46. 

20190926_204936.jpg

20190926_204929.jpg

• I like it 3

26 minutes ago, JSpartan said:

Picked up the ECBP B519 release yesterday. Anyone tried this one yet? Looking forward to comparing it to the A119. 

I’ll gladly keep picking these 12 year old Barrel Proofers at $54.99 when comparable bottles are going for much more than that lately. 

It’s great. And agree, tremendous value.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JSpartan said:

It’s very good (B519)

Personally, I’m a huge fan of A119, and I like that one slightly better, but to each their own. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Uncle Dave said:

I just saw Bib & Tucker Bourbon for the first time. 

Any comments on it before I run out and buy bottle?

It's been a while since I checked but in the past they've sourced from Dickel and it has that distinct Dickel vitamin flavor which is polarizing. 

I recommend trying at a bar first.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Uncle Dave said:

I just saw Bib & Tucker Bourbon for the first time. 

Any comments on it before I run out and buy bottle?

Sure, it's not worth running to.

I tried it on a couple of occasions and it never impressed enough to warrant a purchase.

20190927_194708.thumb.jpg.7d448d765403462e5328d9ffed340cf5.jpg

Picked up a classic and a Pinhook first in it's kind vertical series for a good price, so I figured what the heck.  

On 9/21/2019 at 7:29 AM, Richnimrod said:

One comment, Kepler....

What "should be" isn't always what IS.   

I've tasted more than a few samples with the aim of selecting a barrel for purchase.   Not all of 'em  were anything special.     In fact, more than a few were downright lousy in comparison to the profile expected of the brand under review.   Further, I've tried more than a few tastes from private selections that were supposedly carefully chosen and found 'em ordinary . . . or not even as good as that.   

I'm certain that some of this is due to palate preferences being different from person to person, and/or palates varying from day to day; but some of it is just because nothing decent was available in the choices provided, yet the pressure to buy a barrel superseded the downside of getting crummy juice.

Soooo, in my experience the outcome isn't as obvious as an ideal world would dictate.    In other words, maybe not 'literally that simple'...?   

My hat is off to everybody who has always had wonderful results, though.   And, my hope springs more or less eternal that my future experiences will all be good ones.  ?

Good points, I guess my stores just have good picks

On 9/21/2019 at 7:46 AM, HoustonNit said:

Well yeah but the impression I get is most folks here seem to prefer the 12 year.

Coulld be. My usual preference  is

PS

12yr small batch

NAS small batch

• I like it 2

Coulld be. My usual preference  is
PS
12yr small batch
NAS small batch

Ok yeah I think I was mistaken that most prefer the 12 year over the PS, I was mistaken, certainly not the first time.

Ok yeah I think I was mistaken that most prefer the 12 year over the PS, I was mistaken, certainly not the first time.

I’m not so certain that you were mistaken. As I’ve said before, I generally like the 12 year better...however, I’ve had some private selections that were really good, and I’ve also had some bottles of EC12 that were a bit over-oaked...so it depends.

I’m not so certain that you were mistaken. As I’ve said before, I generally like the 12 year better...however, I’ve had some private selections that were really good, and I’ve also had some bottles of EC12 that were a bit over-oaked...so it depends.

Which one would you say is the safer bet? Generally which one is more likely to be in your wheelhouse a random PS or a random recent 12 year small batch?

On 9/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, JCwhammie said:

I can confirm it isn't CS 46. 

20190926_204936.jpg

20190926_204929.jpg

I think Rob's taste for MM and mine align well. Heavy on the Spice and Mocha really creates a smooth profile.

Edited by FacePlant
  • I like it 3

Which one would you say is the safer bet? Generally which one is more likely to be in your wheelhouse a random PS or a random recent 12 year small batch?

Well, since there’s no such thing as a recent 12 year small batch other than the barrel proof, I’d say odds are in favor of a random PS. However, since I have quite a few old EC12 bottles in the bunker, I’d take my bunker bottles of EC12 or ECBP over a random EC PS. That’s not fair I know, but those are my choices. I do occasionally pick up an EC PS if I get a chance to try before I buy, but otherwise I don’t since I have other alternatives. I am a big fan of EC though!
  • I like it 2

On 9/27/2019 at 12:48 AM, flahute said:

It's been a while since I checked but in the past they've sourced from Dickel and it has that distinct Dickel vitamin flavor which is polarizing. 

I recommend trying at a bar first.

Ok,..... not sure about the "vitamin" flavor but THANKS

On 9/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, kcgumbohead said:

Sure, it's not worth running to.

I tried it on a couple of occasions and it never impressed enough to warrant a purchase.

Most of the other reviews I read said the same thing. Nice but not a real attention getter. Ok, I'll try it out someplace before i invest. 

THANKS

On 9/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, Swamp55 said:

I've only had this one time, as a neat pour in a restaurant bar around six months ago, or so.  My recollection is that it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't particularly notable, either.  Of course, individual palates vary.  If you know of a nearby bar that stocks it, you might want to try it before investing in a whole bottle.

Seems to be the over all description,... "wasn't particularly notable",... Ok, .... I'll try it out some place before investing. Thanks 

Yeah, I caved and bought a MM Generations Of Proof collection yesterday. :rolleyes:  I opened the MM46PS today. I agree with JCwhammie and Faceplant. It's petty darned good. ?

I also did a SBS with a local store pick that I like quite a bit. There was no winner or loser in this SBS.  While they are different and unique, both are very, very good. It's not often this happens, but this was a resounding win-win! :D

Also pictured with the Generations set is the MMCS I bought earlier this week.

Biba! Joe

mmg.jpeg

mmc2.jpeg

mmc3.jpeg

• I like it 3

North o' the State Line to grab these two.  1910 was 46.99 and the 1920 was 50.99.  Hope they're both as good as their first-editions!

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.