Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

Recommended Posts

The Black Tot
On 8/10/2019 at 3:27 AM, Whiskeythink.com said:

Yesterday was a good day. Set out solo via walking & a couple trains & visited Yamazaki Distillery (fam wasnt interested so by myself). Afterward did some hunting around Kobe & got these. Passed on an OE15 for $110 - should I go back?

What were the USD equivalent prices for the EW12 101 and OE12 101?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com
6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

What were the USD equivalent prices for the EW12 101 and OE12 101?

EW12 - about $35

OE12 - about $34

 

I found WT12 101 for about $94. OE15 for about $87. Grabbed the WT12 101 but passed on OE15 for budget & luggage reasons. Also grabbed a Kentucky Deluxe 12 for about $32 - its a cool old-timey label, but unfortunately only 86°.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon4all
11 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Jazzhead, that's a fantastic price for the Murray Hill Club blended bourbon. What batch did you get? I've modified the recipe somewhat to include more 13 and 20 year old bourbon and a bit less of the 10 year old light whiskey as of late. Would love to get your feedback on it. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Any chance you could talk a bit about what went into batch 1 and maybe how/when it was adjusted from there?

 

I found a couple bottles of batch 1 last year marked up from what is normal around here. I finally went in when the right person was in store to mark it down a bit, and bought it and opened it to celebrate closing on our construction loan. I tried it a couple years back and it is everything I remembered it to be, simply fantastic.

Cheers,

Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BMartin42

Stopped by Binny’s as I was out of BiBs. Restocked with 2xJTS Brown, 2xEWW, and 2xJW Dant liters. Also grabbed a JB Distiller’s cut. I didn’t think a whole lot of my first on but given the love it gets here decided that I should be open minded enough to try it again. Finally grabbed 2x Medley Brothers from the end of bin rack. For 16.97 for 102 proof I decided that at worst it would be ok in the golf course flask.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BusterChestnut

Now just have to get them in the house without the wife seeing

 

82386ADB-3990-4B26-8931-66FFEF4A731C.jpeg

  • I like it 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyD
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Now just have to get them in the house without the wife seeing

 

82386ADB-3990-4B26-8931-66FFEF4A731C.jpeg

That’s one that I’m curious to hear @WhiskeyBlender opinion on .

Edited by AndyD
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharger

Grabbed a FR OESO 11y6mo. Excited to try that one. 

 

Also grabbed my fourth or fifth bottle of Saffell. I can’t rememebr what I’m on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Supercharger said:

Grabbed a FR OESO 11y6mo. Excited to try that one. 

 

Also grabbed my fourth or fifth bottle of Saffell. I can’t rememebr what I’m on. 

An 11 1/2 yr old OESO? MAN, you'll wish you had cleared the shelf!!

 

 

Edited by Phil T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharger
48 minutes ago, Phil T said:

An 11 1/2 yr old OESO? MAN, you'll wish you had cleared the shelf!!

 

 

Limit 1. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T
1 hour ago, Supercharger said:

Limit 1. :(

Stupid rules.🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

I ran across regular MM for $18 today. I'm taking a few home.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO
9 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Stopped by Binny’s as I was out of BiBs. Restocked with 2xJTS Brown, 2xEWW, and 2xJW Dant liters. Also grabbed a JB Distiller’s cut. I didn’t think a whole lot of my first on but given the love it gets here decided that I should be open minded enough to try it again. Finally grabbed 2x Medley Brothers from the end of bin rack. For 16.97 for 102 proof I decided that at worst it would be ok in the golf course flask.

I think you did very well.  I like all those bonds.

The Medley Bros.was contract distilled, my guess by B-F, four years old, at least worth what you paid.

JB DC is a favorite.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

I've been living in bourbon zen for a while now, but there was no way was I gonna pass on MMCS for $45.99.

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guss West

Visited my favorite bottle shop here in way Upstate NY in the Adirondacks. 

 

Carried out a Bowman Port Finished, ECBP, OF 1920, and a WB Saffell!!! 

 

I've not seen the WB anywhere so I jumped on it for $40.  Premium gobble?  Yes, please. 

 

Also had room for another Springbank 10 and Baby Saz. 

 

Happy Birthday to me.  Birthday Budget blown between this week and last!

Time to freeze the plastic in blocks of ice.   

  • I like it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam777

There has been many recent price hikes in Ohio lately.

WA107 - $29.99 - $39.99

HMK10 - $34.99 - $49.99

ECBP - $49.99 - $59.99

Not bad but I guess I was spoiled for a while, however with all the price hikes I noticed a price decrease in WT101 handles from $48.99 - $39.99. Needless to say I came home with one and MMCS ($49.99) that sounded real good. I also saw more half gallons that had a handle on the bottle. I take it that’s the prior bottle?

EE17B7A8-7705-445F-9AA4-66DFAE5D116B.jpeg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Visited my favorite bottle shop here in way Upstate NY in the Adirondacks. 

 

Carried out a Bowman Port Finished, ECBP, OF 1920, and a WB Saffell!!! 

 

I've not seen the WB anywhere so I jumped on it for $40.  Premium gobble?  Yes, please. 

 

Also had room for another Springbank 10 and Baby Saz. 

 

Happy Birthday to me.  Birthday Budget blown between this week and last!

Time to freeze the plastic in blocks of ice.   

I've spent my entire life spending a good chunk of the Summer in the ADK, my grandparents had a house in Speculator/Lake Pleasant that my younger brother now owns, in recent years I've had much success scoring some dusty finds in some of the more off the beaten path areas. Enjoy!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
15 hours ago, Guss West said:

Visited my favorite bottle shop here in way Upstate NY in the Adirondacks. 

 

Carried out a Bowman Port Finished, ECBP, OF 1920, and a WB Saffell!!! 

 

I've not seen the WB anywhere so I jumped on it for $40.  Premium gobble?  Yes, please. 

 

Also had room for another Springbank 10 and Baby Saz. 

 

Happy Birthday to me.  Birthday Budget blown between this week and last!

Time to freeze the plastic in blocks of ice.   

The Saffell is great  stuff.  I Grabbed another one today.  Wish mine was $40.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 8/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, AndyD said:

That’s one that I’m curious to hear @WhiskeyBlender opinion on .

@AndyD, I'm very sorry to say that I haven't tried it! Would love to hear from those who have. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 8/11/2019 at 6:39 AM, bourbon4all said:

Any chance you could talk a bit about what went into batch 1 and maybe how/when it was adjusted from there?

 

I found a couple bottles of batch 1 last year marked up from what is normal around here. I finally went in when the right person was in store to mark it down a bit, and bought it and opened it to celebrate closing on our construction loan. I tried it a couple years back and it is everything I remembered it to be, simply fantastic.

Cheers,

Jamie

You bet, @bourbon4all, although it has been a while since I put Murray Hill batch #1 together, I remember generally what the recipe was before I modified it to be more bourbon-forward. 

 

Since it is under the legal category of a Blended Bourbon, it has some light whiskey in it. Back when I was formulating batch #1, I used about 29% of what would have been 7 or 8 year old light whiskey. The majority of the recipe was a 9 to 10 year old MGI 21% Bbn, with a small percentage of 18 year old MGP 21% Bbn to help give it a little depth. 

 

Although I liked this formulation taste-wise, I noticed that the whiskey flavors would fall apart and it would saponify when put over ice or in a cocktail, so I realized that I needed to slightly reformulate the recipe. So a couple of years ago, I dropped the light whiskey component to about 18% of the total blend, and increased the MGP 21% Bbn. Of course, during this time, the components continued to age, so the most recent iterations of MHC will have a 9 to 10 year old light whiskey, followed by the majority of the blend using 13 year old MGP 21% Bbn, with some 20 year old 21% Bbn to give it more depth. This modification of taking away 11% or more percent from the light whiskey and replacing it with the 13 year bourbon made all the difference in how the whiskey held up to ice, in a cocktail, etc. 

 

Glad you liked it! I hope that helps to understand how and why the changes in the formulation were made. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

 

 

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
elmossle

Managed to score 2 bottles of Stagg Jr. today. Evidently, CEHT Barrel Proof made its was into the state and I missed it on the website. I was told by employees that people were lined up at the doors when they opened today to grab what they could. Really wish I could have scored one of those but it wasn't in the cards I guess. Maybe next year.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazz June

This week's damage:

 

image.thumb.jpeg.86d3d339cfbd44d6cb63cd06e99af14c.jpeg

 

Guess I like barrel proof whisk(e)y...

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, elmossle said:

Managed to score 2 bottles of Stagg Jr. today. Evidently, CEHT Barrel Proof made its was into the state and I missed it on the website. I was told by employees that people were lined up at the doors when they opened today to grab what they could. Really wish I could have scored one of those but it wasn't in the cards I guess. Maybe next year.

To my taster the difference between Stagg Jr. batches and CEHT BP batches are negligible, just imagine it came from a tall bottle in a tube and you are set ;) 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

You bet, @bourbon4all, although it has been a while since I put Murray Hill batch #1 together, I remember generally what the recipe was before I modified it to be more bourbon-forward. 

 

Since it is under the legal category of a Blended Bourbon, it has some light whiskey in it. Back when I was formulating batch #1, I used about 29% of what would have been 7 or 8 year old light whiskey. The majority of the recipe was a 9 to 10 year old MGI 21% Bbn, with a small percentage of 18 year old MGP 21% Bbn to help give it a little depth. 

 

Although I liked this formulation taste-wise, I noticed that the whiskey flavors would fall apart and it would saponify when put over ice or in a cocktail, so I realized that I needed to slightly reformulate the recipe. So a couple of years ago, I dropped the light whiskey component to about 18% of the total blend, and increased the MGP 21% Bbn. Of course, during this time, the components continued to age, so the most recent iterations of MHC will have a 9 to 10 year old light whiskey, followed by the majority of the blend using 13 year old MGP 21% Bbn, with some 20 year old 21% Bbn to give it more depth. This modification of taking away 11% or more percent from the light whiskey and replacing it with the 13 year bourbon made all the difference in how the whiskey held up to ice, in a cocktail, etc. 

 

Glad you liked it! I hope that helps to understand how and why the changes in the formulation were made. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

 

 

Hey Nancy, I love it when you post in such detail! Boy it would be great to try that 18/20 year old MGP on its own. I expect the 13 year is pretty good too.

 

I picked up a Magnus single barrel recently, the store didn't have any info on it but just going by taste it's pretty clear that it is Dickel (big vitamin note), usually I'm not a fan of Dickel but this is one of the best examples of their stuff I've had. Did you say at some point that you don't have anything to do with the single barrel picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
49 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Hey Nancy, I love it when you post in such detail! Boy it would be great to try that 18/20 year old MGP on its own. I expect the 13 year is pretty good too.

 

I picked up a Magnus single barrel recently, the store didn't have any info on it but just going by taste it's pretty clear that it is Dickel (big vitamin note), usually I'm not a fan of Dickel but this is one of the best examples of their stuff I've had. Did you say at some point that you don't have anything to do with the single barrel picks?

It depends. When my local did a Magnus pick, I made sure that Nancy was there. And she was. And she was awesome.

Everyone needs to do a barrel pick with Nancy.

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
6 hours ago, flahute said:

It depends. When my local did a Magnus pick, I made sure that Nancy was there. And she was. And she was awesome.

Everyone needs to do a barrel pick with Nancy.

I would love to do a barrel pick with Nancy!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...